1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time in the snow with my Taco...Yikes!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mit122, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    :thumbsup: cool video! Wish it was longer! I have to live through others snow wheeling videos, because I don't get to do it to much. LOL.

2. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
  3. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    Ha go for it! Just let me know so I can check it out

4. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Still a no go on mobile. I enjoyed your lift time lapse video. :spy: . Nice to see I'm not the only one that does similar work in flip flops. :laugh:

5. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    I normally shoot more but it was rough run heh.

6. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    Technically....flip flop is the sound they make and they are actually called slippers.

I've done some mill and lathe work in slippers I probably shouldnt have heh

:kona:

7. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    When I buy them the box sometimes says thongs. I prefer not to tell people I where thongs. :anonymous:

8. Dec 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    saw that. nice video man! looks like a good trip!

9. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    I just took off my Dueller's and bought goodyear Wrangler® All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar® 265/70/17 Haven't had them in the snow yet.

10. Dec 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
  11. Dec 8, 2013 at 3:07 AM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    you seem to take what i say completely out of whack...
    i agree with everything past your first sentence

just to be clear, i did say when the pavement isn't slick enough and where it's predominantly dry
    which, happens to be the opposite of wet/snow & snowy/icy conditions

p.s. speaking of your experience; how you prefer not to put yourself and others at risk; telling someone their worries are dumb; and telling them to feel free to do something are all pretty much the textbook definition of preaching

i like birds

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  12. Dec 8, 2013 at 3:56 AM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    WOW, This posting has really gotten some people worked up.

I live in snow country, the mountains of central PA, snow on the ground right now, as I type. Been driving all sort of vehicles for 50 years 2wd, 4wd, AWD, whatever.

I usually have a AWD or 4wd now for the winters. Have a new Subaru, the absolute best, on highway in the snow. Notice, I said On High Way.

But we are talking Tacoma's here; and I do drive a Tacoma TRD, Off-Road.

My truck came with, BFG Rugged Trails, from new. That is one dangerous tire; no grip on highway snowy conditions.

For the winter I install , Cooper Weathermaster S/T2 ice and snow tires; oh my what a difference. A wonderful tire for highway use.

Notice how often I point out that I separate Highway and OFF road driving; your tires should reflect this if you want the best performance. You can compromise; but grip will suffer either on highway or Off Road.

As for you guys that lay stuff in your bed, go to an insurance holding lot, where accident vehicles are parked; and look at some trucks that had loose stuff in the bed. You may be surprised; on how small of a box, or cement block, or anything heavy; tried to come through the cab in a head-on collision. Just bolt, or chain the stuff down to be safe.

Weight over the axle; does help greatly; if done safely. Not that junk laying on the bed.

And don't be afraid to put the darn thing in High 4x4, if the road is icy or snowy. Axle wrap, won't be an issue if there is any slippage at all ( ice or snow on the road). Common sense, don't use it on dry pavement. Now my Subaru, has AWD and is designed to run AWD all the time; Tacoma's are not.

Winter driving, for us means, Winter Tires, some weight secured over the rear axle, cautious driving and Slow Down.

oldracer

13. Dec 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Yup. 60 lb tube sand is $3 from Home Depot. 2 of those go in my bed right over the axle and get tied off like sausages to the cleats. Significantly better in the snow with that weight in the bed.

14. Dec 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Bilstein Shocks under bed lighting all weather mats window rain guards bed mat
    Not sure, I don't run with studs

15. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    Awesome vid & the song selection is even better! :cool:

16. Dec 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    rdd11

rdd11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Double Cab long box black
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    Sandbags in the bed. Good AT tires. 4X4.

17. Dec 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Sledhauler

Sledhauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    MD
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4
    Just went for ride over to check & shovel for grandmother. Stock duelers, no weight in bed other then rack & full toolbox. 4wd the whole time, not 1 issue. I live in the hills and 1st route was block by a few cars stuck and one in the ditch. Waited a few but turn around and went another route. Couple more stuck that I had to make my way around and 1 saturn stuck at the bottom of a huge hill before my gmas. That hill was the true test of the abilities of this truck, it slipped a bit at the very top but keep rolling on up. I'll be testing her again when I take the wife to work.

18. Dec 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    30coupe

30coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 TRD 4x4 ExCab 5 spd.
    Well, I had mine on snow for the first time today. I have to say, I was impressed! We didn't have a huge amount of snow, probably 2-3 inches when we were out, but it was enough to give it a bit of a test. I had nothing in the box and it was just the wife and I in the cab, but I had plenty of traction. There were some other trucks fishtailing around, but I really had to kind of get on it to move the back end around at all. Most of the time I stayed in 2 wheel drive and got around just fine. I used 4 wheel drive at a couple of stop lights, but I don't really think I would have had to.

I had read mixed reviews on the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires the dealer put on my truck, but I have to say they were very grippy in the snow even though there was enough stuck on the pavement to make it pretty slick underneath. Stopping, starting and steering were all very sure and positive.

Overall, this truck has the best winter traction of any I have owned or driven, and I've been driving for a lot more years than most of you here have been alive! So far...very happy Taco owner! :yay:

19. Dec 9, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    craigb

craigb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Just had the truck and new tires out in the snow and they were excellent, vehicles stuck every where and we just keep going.

20. Dec 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    30coupe

30coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 TRD 4x4 ExCab 5 spd.
    :thumbsup:

The more I drive this truck, the better I like it. I am beginning to understand why you guys are so addicted!

I've been trying to find a good used fiberglass topper for my truck. I just missed one on craigslist last week. :censored:

I managed to find an aluminum one for now. It has the side opening windows I wanted, just wish it were glass. Anyway, it was cheap, so I can keep looking for the one I really want and still be able to keep stuff dry in the bed for now. Going to get it this afternoon. The downside is it's two hours away.

Products Discussed in

To Top