1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it possible to wire seat heaters into remote start?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adamv22, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dec 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    adamv22

adamv22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    29 Palms, California
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma Sport
    6" Rough Country lift, Toyota roof rack, Tepui RTT, Hidden 12000lb winch Pioneer 6.1 DVD stereo, Cobra III CB radio,
    So im having seat heaters installed in my truck today and really wanted remote start for it too... Question is...Why would the shop doing the install tell me they cant wire the seat heaters into the remote start? I know the heaters have a switch but I mean...Im sure theres some way....isnt there? lol:confused:

These are the products they are going to install... Any help is appreciated!!
    Automobile_carbon_fiber_seat_heater.jpg

start.jpg

2. Dec 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There's a way it could be done, but I wouldn't expect the shop wiring in your remote start to want to mess with it. Don't most seat heaters warm up within seconds though? It's probably not great for the heating elements to just be roasting a seat with no one in them.

If I were to do it, I'd put the heaters on timers and make it so the power source was on a relay with an ignition wire thats hot when the truck is running. When you get out of the truck, turn the switch on so when the truck starts, it'd trigger the power for the seats so, in a round about way, your seats get hot when the remote starts the truck.

3. Dec 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    a relay tied to ignition will get it working....

seats are not my concern when it is cold, it is the cold steering wheel unless you are wearing gloves that gets me...

4. Dec 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    Anything is possible with the use of relays. Not sure why they wouldnt do it though, maybe some sort of safety issue? or maybe they just didnt want to deal with it?

5. Dec 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    rainmn

rainmn Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you remember to leave the heaters on when you park the truck, they will come on again when you remote start it the next time.

They are not "tied" to the remote start, however they will come on and off with the ignition.

6. Dec 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    adamv22

adamv22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    29 Palms, California
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma Sport
    6" Rough Country lift, Toyota roof rack, Tepui RTT, Hidden 12000lb winch Pioneer 6.1 DVD stereo, Cobra III CB radio,
    hmm..all good ideas... I think ill just remember to switch the heaters on when i get out of the truck...thats the easiest and cheapest way i guess

7. Dec 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    I ran mine off of a relay that's tripped from the lights that illuminate the gear selector. I keep my parking lights on as daytime running lights so they're always on when my truck is running and, therefore, the gear selector lights are always on. The downside is, if I turn my lights off, my seat heaters don't work because the gear selector lights aren't on to trip the relay. But, I don't turn them off. I could have found a better source but this works for me and was very conveinent because that's where my switches for the seat heaters are.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  8. Dec 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    They heat up so fast i wouldnt worry about it.

9. Dec 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I have the factory heated ( Pleather ) seats and leave the seat switches on high when I shut the truck off . When using the aftermarket command start , the truck runs for approx 15 minutes with the seat heaters " ON " but the seats are like ice when I get into the truck .
    Only after driving a few miles do the seats actually start warming up .
    Maybe mine are not functioning properly ??? Edit : may have something to do with the minus 50 degree weather I get on a daily basis .
    I havnt seen an actual wiring schematic but I beleive only the illuminated switches function and not the seat elements . Those seat heaters have a power hungry circuit , if you are going to wire it , i suggest some quality wiring

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top