1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auxiliary Transmission Cooler

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hawaiian05, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dec 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    I've installed an aftermarket auto trans cooler about a year ago, keeping the origianl radiator tube cooler in line. I'm curious if I should completely eliminate the radiator cooler from the system and simply just run the auxiliary cooler as a stand alone cooler? My main consideration is the precaution of elimination any possible mixing of fluids if internal damage/corrosion was to occur.
    Any thoughts? What have all you, who have installed aftermarket coolers, done?
    Thanks!

2. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    I installed one, and everything I read on it indicates to have it inline with the other one. It's ADDITIONAL cooling capacity, not replacing. You're running the same fluid through both.

3. Dec 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    If you have a big enough cooler I say only run it through there. Could always run 2 aftermarket coolers. It would help you avoid any milkshakes getting into your transmission.

4. Dec 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input. Upon installing mine, I researched and found the same info regarding keeping it inline as additional cooling, but have also heard running it solo.

Do you know what size is considered big enough? I'm running a Hayden 678 (TRD) cooler, but it's hard to compare a fin style to a tube style.

5. Dec 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    mrbeggins

mrbeggins LOW.LIGHT.WIDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    I would keep it if I was you. I run from the transmission, through my B&M cooler, out the B&M into the factory cooler, then that returns to the transmission. I even went as far as installing an electric fan from a CBR600 street bike, but have recently taken it out as it was cooling to much especially in the winter time. I will re install it come spring. When it comes to transmissions, cooler is better.

6. Dec 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    If you want to 100% eliminate the chance of a strawberry milkshake run it solo. If you want additional cooling run it in series. The downfall of not running your factory inline is your trans takes longer to get up to operating temp which can really affect shift points when cold. Generally speaking you will probably see larger temp swings with only an auxiliary cooler when in town but slightly lower operating temp on the highway assuming adequate airflow.

I researched this debate until my eyes went crossed when I was trying to decide what to do on my 3rd gen 4Runner. I had 150k miles on the original radiator. To avoid the dreaded strawberry milkshake my choices were to replace radiator or keep running the original radiator and get an auxiliary cooler. I ended up replacing the radiator and didn't bother with an auxiliary trans cooler.

7. Dec 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    You should run through radiator then through cooler that away the cooler fluid is entering the transmision instead of being reheated by the radiator.

8. Dec 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  9. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    I went with this and decided to bypass the radiator altogether. The mounting was a slight challenge but I've been very happy with the product. My TFT temps stay between 115-130 on average. The hottest temp I've seen is 160 and that was slow crawling while off-roading for long periods of time. The pink milkshake is a hot topic with 3rd Gen T4R's and I decided to eliminate the chances right up front. Good luck.

10. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    Any pictures of your install? I've had my TRD (hayden) for 11 years after my factory cooler. I've thought about bypassing the factory all together.

11. Dec 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
  12. Dec 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:

Same here, I'm curious to understand this style and how it is superior.

13. Dec 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for your input and opinions. I do currently have the aux cooler in series w/the factory cooler and have it after the radiator, for previously described reasons. And yes, while this set up does cause the trans to take slightly longer to warm up during the cold months, it typically doesn't affect me too much as I give adequate warm up time and drive very moderately at first.
    Again, my main concern is the whole strawberry milkshake thing and taking any precautions, but without jeopardizing anything either.

14. Dec 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    I had it running solo as I live in california and the temps here don't ever get really low, besides I don't beat on the tranny too much. On other threads i've seen that people just don't trust the factory radiator at all and swap it with a new one and also install the AUX cooler. The reason the factory ones are not trusted is because the divider starts corroding and mixing coolant and ATF. If I were you i'd skip the factory cooler if you're not in a cold climate or in a rush when you get in your truck.

The truck that I put the AUX cooler was totaled in june and now I have to do it to my 4runner. I did not have any fun installing that cooler in that truck as there was no good spot to put it in.

15. Dec 13, 2013 at 4:58 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    These coolers are not a pass through cooler .

Transmission coolers
    This is how Low Pressure Drop technology works::
    When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is viscous. The unique Tru-Cool design allows the colder, thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler. As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes hotter and thinner, It's then directed through the core where it is cooled. Tru-Cool's highly efficient cooling technology combines improved protection against lube failure with optimal heat transfer.

Long Tru-Cool Oil Coolers offer advanced cooling protection for many towing applications. The advanced technology out performs TUBE & FIN Designs, Delivers up to 15 times less flow restrictions, 30% more cooling delivers maximum heat transfer, Self-Regulating for maximum lube flow protection through start-up, varied temperatures and driving conditions, heavy loads and towing.

Products Discussed in

To Top