1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New coxial front speakers while connecting the stock tweeters

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Suggin, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dec 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    Suggin

Suggin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 3.4l ext cab 4x4
    I drive a 01 tacoma with the component speakers. I am about to replace the front speakers with aftermarket coxials and amp them. My question is I am not installing new tweeters since im using coaxials, is there anyway to connect my stock tweeters to my new speakers which will then be connected to an amp?

At first i was just going to cut the tweeter wire and leave them in so there is'nt a hole on my upper door panel, but if there is a way to connect them to keep them in use ide rather do that.

2. Dec 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I'm not 100% sure how it was done, but mine are wired the way you want to go.

My belief is that the tweeter wire is cut and then new wire connected to the coax.

However, I'm not sure if the tweeter has a crossover on it and if so where. It must have something, otherwise the bass would blow the tweets in no time. If it was me I'd open a panel and look for that first.

Bear in mind I have a 2nd gen but I can't imagine it's much different.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. Dec 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Suggin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 3.4l ext cab 4x4
    Yeh there has to be a crossover somewhere, if not then my tweeter would be getting 75 watts rms to them, haha, if that's how it works. This is my first speaker/amp install so im still learning

4. Dec 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    Not only that, but even worse you'd get the low end which even at lower levels you'd blow them. The function of a crossover is to make sure the right notes (high/mid/low) get to the right speaker and not to the wrong. It is possible that you have a small capacitor on the tweet wire, aka bass blocker for that reason. What kind of coax's?

Another option would be to get a component set or a separate pair of crossovers, just run the tweet to the crossover and same with the coax. Won't hurt anything and you'll save time fishing around in there for stuff.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. Dec 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Suggin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 3.4l ext cab 4x4
  6. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    Those are a nice set and should sound great. Might be easier just to pick up a set of crossovers cheap on Ebay/Amazon and just pull your wires, you'd be working within the door only there.

You'll have a wire in for positive and negative from the amp, then a set of out wires to the high (tweet) and your mid/low (6x8). I used the 3m goop and just stuck the crossover in the door so it didn't rattle around, just make sure to check it won't interfere with the window going up and down.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Suggin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 3.4l ext cab 4x4
    Wait do what now? I thought i would just connect the positive/negative wires to each channel of the amp and then to the speakers; and either splice into the speaker wire or connect the tweeter wire to the speaker and then the crossover would take care of distributing the high's to the tweet. Im confused..

8. Dec 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    Oops, let's un-confuse you my friend..

http://www.mobilesoundworks.com/Pro...erBass-L2-6C&gclid=CIrehqi2sLsCFcVQ7AodHXgAPQ

You'll need to click the larger image, but you'll see on the crossover 6 screws.

Left to right this one will have a + and - for each of the 3: Input, woofer, tweeter.

Run your out wires from amp to the positive/negative on the INPUT of the crossover.

From the crossover, run wires for pos/neg from WOOFER to your coaxial. Do the same from crossover TWEETER to your tweet on the door.

Secure crossover inside the door and you're done.

That's how I did mine. In theory it is possible to just tap into the stock wiring but I just ran my own from amp to door. Among other reasons, I used thicker gauge wire that I had. Plus, if I ever need to return the truck to stock it's easier IMO

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top