1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Food Smokers and Smoking Tips/Tricks/Techniques

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Polymerhead, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Dec 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    No worries, if your nervous about undercooked poultry, the general rule is 165* thickest part, 175* thigh. It's all trail and error. Slip over to smokingmeatforums.com and read till your hearts content.

2. Dec 16, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    fletch97

fletch97 Professional Window Licker

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Hey Guys, looking for some assistance trying to smoke. I am an amateur here and recently purchased a vertical propane smoker. I have done a lot research on how to properly smoke/cook but I having a little trouble with the smoke part. I soak my wood in water for at least an hour, get the smoker nice and hot (usually above 350 degrees) and the wood starts to smoke. I give it a few minutes, I see a nice blue smoke so then I proceed to lower the temp to the 200 range. Yet once the temp gets below 300 or so, the smoke stops?? I fire the temp back up, it starts to smoke again. I leave it to smoke at high temps for about 10 minutes and then attempted to lower the temp again and yet again I lost the smoke. Ughh....what am I missing? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3. Dec 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Squirrel cage

Squirrel cage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    Icon stage 4 lift,FN Countersteer wheels (16X8), 285/75/16 Duratracs
    I've never used a gas fired smoker, but I never soak my wood.

4. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Sounds like your wood box is too far away from the heat. If you put a chunk of wood on the rack in your 225 deg oven, it's not going to smoke. It needs contact with the hot flame or element to do anything.

5. Dec 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    What kind of wood are you using?
    My wood smoker has an optional gas burner. The shop had one running on natural gas with a large cast iron pot above the flames with several short oak logs and it was smoking at 225.

Post some pics of your setup.

6. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    I was using wood chips and they were directly above, actually on the flame. I did some research today and found out that soaking the wood was useless and that I should be using wood chunks instead of the chips for longer smoking. I read that the wood chips only last up to 45 minutes if that. That may explain some of the issues, but not why I couldn't keep the smoke going. I may run a test this weekend with a wood chunk (not soaked) and see how it goes.

Here is a pic of my setup, it's not the greatest pic either. I had just finished throwing together that cart I made. I wanted to be able to wheel it around with the propane tank and added a shelf for convenience. I added a piece of aluminum on the bottom to prevent any fire just in case something hot dropped down. I also covered the wood in that "high heat" paint you can get from Home Depot. I figured it couldn't hurt! If you notice in the picture, around the edges, I added an insulation kit to help seal the smoker better. This is the link of what I bought - http://bbqgaskets.com/catalog_2.html
    I also purchased this thermometer, per recommendations, to help keep track of the temperature acurately! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UFOUB8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Smoker.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  7. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Anybody? :spy:

8. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Perhaps I am just a traditionalist, but in my opinion, propane has no business in smoking.

That being said, I will tell you that it is VERY difficult to provide the appropriate amount of true "smoke" for cooking with a propane unit. Picture it from the charcoal standpoint: When smoking in a charcoal base, the wood is placed within the charcoal itself, but it tends to smolder more than open-flame burn as things progress. This smoldering is what creates the most flavorful, deep-reaching smoke. It is nearly impossible to put wood of any kind over the top of an open propane flame without it actually catching fire and burning, increasing the heat in the smoker. This means that in order to attain the same smoke flavor, you will need to use a larger amount of total wood, adding it to the "fire" in smaller amounts, but more often as it burns down.

That is what I have heard from some people who claim the propane units are easier to control on heat, so don't take it as gospel, but it does make perfect sense to me.

9. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
  10. Dec 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab

A smoke generator alleviates all the problems mentioned above.

11. Dec 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
  12. Dec 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    esgordon123

esgordon123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eldridge
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Silver access cab
    Husky tool box Led lights Trd rims Ko2’s Ranch hand grill guard Jvc head unit Tailgate camera from tailgatecamera.com A/c knob swap Console and glove box organizers Window tint Led fogs Upgraded oem tail lights Led 3rd brake light

Put a tray if water down next to the coals. That will help the temp from getting to hot. Close the bottom vent 1/2 way and regulate the temp with the top vent. 1/3 open seems to keep mine around 250-300*

13. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

I don't have a top vent though

14. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    I'm going a brisket on my trager Saturday after I get home I think

15. Dec 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
  16. Dec 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    I don't mean to offend anyone, but most smokers you get at Homedepot or sporting goods store are junk. They are too thin and wont hold a constant temperature. THey will completely rust out in a few years. 3 good size guys struggled to unload my Lyfe Tylme...they loaded it with a forklift at the store.

I am speaking from long term 12+hours smoking perspective. But for short term chicken, they may suit you needs. What do you plan on smoking with it?

I own a Lyfe Tyme. Entry level about $750. Highly Regarded in Texas
    http://www.lyfetyme.com/

My buddy has a Klose are considered the best in Texas...but they are very expensive. About $2,000 for an entry level.
    http://www.bbqpits.com/

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  17. Dec 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Squirrel cage

Squirrel cage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    Icon stage 4 lift,FN Countersteer wheels (16X8), 285/75/16 Duratracs
    I have been using my uds (ugly drum smoker) for about 4 years or so now with zero issues. It holds temps with no problem in sub freezing temps, is completely adjustable and will hold meats as large as whole turkey. I have even done 15 hour briskets and never once had to open the top or add more fuel. Most times I start it up and go to bed, only to wake up to delicious BBQ. Total cost into to thing is about $40 (including the drum) due to being resourceful and finding or waiting until I could find the pieces I needed. The best thing you could do for yourself before buying a smoker is research research research! I read for months before I decided to make my drum. And as far as bang for the buck I don't think it can be beat. I think if I had the money I would get an egg, but I would probably still keep my drum. Don't get me wrong top dollar smokers are nice, and if you can afford them then great! Just don't preach that they are the only real way to do it right.

18. Dec 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4

I usually do pork butts, turkeys and pork loins so far. I actually am pretty settled on the Weber Smokey just because I am sold on their quality (I have a 18.5 One Touch Grill now). I just saw that Brinkman in here and thought it looked heavier than most Home Depot finds. Plus it just looks pretty sweet...those have to be 20's.

19. Dec 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Not all cheaper smokers are junk. I love my Weber Smokey Mountain (18.5") and have cooked tons of BBQ on it. Like someone else mentioned with their drum, I've done entire pork butts, briskets, and other long smokes without ever adding more fuel. In fact, that's the norm.

For me, it was a great smoker for $300. I'm so impressed with it that I'm going to buy the 22" next summer. IMHO, if you're gonna get 1, get the bigger one. It's only $100 more, I believe. But as great as those more expensive smokers are, you ABSOLUTELY do not need one to make great food.

20. Dec 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    You can't beat the Weber bullet. I still do not have one but many of my friends do and I've cooked on them. My Weber kettle is 5 years old and I burn a half ton of charcoal on it a year since I got it. Purchased a heavy cast iron grate for grilling a couple of years ago and it is almost cooked through. But the Weber is still perfect. As much charcoal as I burn I could justify a ceramic cooker however I do a lot of steaks using sear and slide which an egg can't do. Or rotisserie which I love. Smoked meat especially poultry on a stick is hard to beat.

There is only my gf and I at the house now and I have been very successful smoking with the Weber kettle but it is a lot more work than a dedicated smoker. I do have an older Cabelas Stainless smoker that I use only for smoking fish, I think it is made by Masterbuilt and it is just not in the same league as Weber.

Harry Soo (Slap Yo' Daddy) is a multiple time Grand Champion and he only started in 2008. He regular "smokes" those using $15,000 cookers and he uses a WSM. He has a great review on Amazon if you haven't seen it, worth the read. Weber recently released the 14.5 bullet and I might go with that one only because I fill up every freezer in the house as it is and still end up giving meat away.

I'd go with the WSM bullet. You can spend a lot more money but don't think you can get any better results. And that has been proven by Soo. It isn't the arrow but the Indian that makes the difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top