1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pepe98's Build for Sons 16th Birthday Present.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Pepe98, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Nov 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    Pepe98

Pepe98 [OP] Love moding vehicles as hobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 that's begging for mods
    1st Update: 500 miles Rugged Ridges Matts, Dimming rear view mirror with comp/temp, AeroForce Tech Interceptor Gauge, Aeries Professional Bull and Nerf bars, LED Lighting complete in-Cab, LED DRLs, AMP Bed Xtendr, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau, Rigid Ind LED Lighting 30" E and 20" SR series, Rigid LED Grill insert, Katskinz Leather Interior, Custom 100amp Electrical Sub Panel x2 (Engine bay and Interior), custom vinyl bed side, interior accent lighting galore (Oznium), OTTRAW, switches, under hood lighting, Red Line Elite hood struts, Power Pop-n-Lock, Under Bed Rail Lighting (switched), Custom Tinting... More to come
    Well here it goes. I plan to start this thread to document my son's first car. We purchased a 2014 Tacoma Double Cab in Silver Sky Metallic. I got a great deal on it, paying only $200 over invoice. We went with the SR5 so we could do all our own mods to it together.

This is a way I get to spend father-son time together and build life long memories. He turned 15 in the last few days so within the year, we should be ready for his 16th birthday.

We love to mod cars and currently have a number of heavily, partially and mint cars in our stable. It is what keeps me sane when I am not a slave to the HMOs or healthcare system's administrative bureaucracy.

So let the chronicles begin as we take a perfectly good, new truck and tear brand new parts off just to buy more to put on... :amen:

2. Nov 22, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    redtacoma88

redtacoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John Austin
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    See Build Page...
    Sounds like a lucky 16 year old!
    First things first what do you plan using the truck for, are you lifting for looks or for offroad capability. What is your budget because there are endless possibilities.

This sounds awesome so good luck!

3. Nov 22, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Damn.. lucky kid lol :popcorn: for the mods

4. Nov 28, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    Pepe98

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    1st Update: 500 miles Rugged Ridges Matts, Dimming rear view mirror with comp/temp, AeroForce Tech Interceptor Gauge, Aeries Professional Bull and Nerf bars, LED Lighting complete in-Cab, LED DRLs, AMP Bed Xtendr, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau, Rigid Ind LED Lighting 30" E and 20" SR series, Rigid LED Grill insert, Katskinz Leather Interior, Custom 100amp Electrical Sub Panel x2 (Engine bay and Interior), custom vinyl bed side, interior accent lighting galore (Oznium), OTTRAW, switches, under hood lighting, Red Line Elite hood struts, Power Pop-n-Lock, Under Bed Rail Lighting (switched), Custom Tinting... More to come
    Good kid, plan to lift around 3inches, and will be used for moderate off-roading, e.g. Out door activities (rock climbing, rappelling, hiking, biking), mild 4 wheeling (nothing too extreme).

Budget... Well let's say only limited by my wife who thinks I am crazy to do all this for my boy.

What do you think would be the best rim/tire size combination to add to the 3 inches?

5. Nov 28, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    Pepe98

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I will start posting pics tonight. Maybe. Been hard at work in the garage. I just wish the kid would leave his phone in the house and show so interest in helping and learning. :eek:

6. Nov 28, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    Pepe98

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Listed the purchased items so far under mods in my profile. Have done quite a few already, and will start getting things uploaded. Thing is, I spend the free time I am not in garage on TW or Amazon buying parts to mod or looking at tutorials/builds... :frusty:

7. Nov 29, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    redtacoma88

redtacoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John Austin
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    See Build Page...
    Great plan, 3" lift is right where you want to be. I would say go with a 3" OME from wheelers offroad with a darker lead pack. This is a very reliable, well performing lift that has a lot of good feedback on this website.

Tires, with a 3" lift the "go to size" is 285/75/16 or 285/70/17 depending on your rim size. This is about a 33" tire, some tires to look at are Goodyear duratracs or mtr's, bfg km2's, nitto trail grapplers, and many more.

The next thing to look at for a build is the armor, when offroad accidents happen, trails are tight, and rocks are everywhere. So having parts of your truck protected is key.
    -Rock sliders are very improtant, they bolt or weld to your frame and work as a step and protect your panels. With proper install they can withstand the entire weight of the vehicle.
    -Skid plates, very easy to install and very important. The stock skids from Toyota are horrible, replacing this with (allpro, bud built, ato) aftermarket skids will protect the bottom of your truck from the trail.
    -Rear bumper, these look bad ass and help deal with the overhang our trucks have making for a shitty clearance and approach angles.
    -Front bumper, tons of options, look great! And also give you the ability to run a winch so you always have a back up plan if you get stuck or can't quite make it up the trail. These also protect your front end from damage, and could be beneficial in small fender benders your son might be in as a teenager.

This is what I would do in that order if I had the money laid out!! Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more in depth. Hope this helps! Good luck

8. Dec 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4x4 Silver Sky
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    :worthless:
    OP you beat me to the first silver sky metallic build - I've got the exact same truck (DCSB, SR5, Silver Sky) arriving in two weeks... of course, your son beat me to it by 20 years (i had to wait to be 36 to afford such a nice truck!)

I'm puting toytec's ultimate lift with the 2.5" diameter, extended travel radflos front, light racing UCA's, & bilstein 5100 with dakar leaf pack in the rear... about a 3" lift... and I'm sticking with 265/75r16 duratracs. From the sounds of what you'll use the truck for, you might consider the same size.

As for wheels...to each his own! I've been thinking about what would look good with this new (to tacomas) darker silver color. I really like the konig countersteer offroads in matte black.

9. Dec 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    Pepe98

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    All, thanks for the feedback. Red, great info. Pics will start soon. I have been in the garage versus here. My wife said to get seat covers so I went with these from John Huey from Affordable Leather and Sound (Andrew H). Need to find someone to do the install for me. My sons name is Hunter R McCracken. Can you figure it out.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hear great things about the Duratracs and also hear Cooper is bringing out a hell of a tire in a new size. Wrote it down somewhere. Not locked in on the size yet. Depends on the lift. Also want him to drive for 6 months or so before lifting it. Still waiting for CAI to come in from aFe. Got the cat back so between Christmas (they are presents) and New Years we will be putting them on.

Thanks again guys. Sorry happy for beating you to the punch. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours. GREAT color.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  10. Dec 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Pepe98

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Man I miss those mountains. Lived in Colorado Springs from 1997-2001. Avid how hunter. Got a big 7x7 down below Poncha Pass near Pagosa Springs. Your Sig pic reminds me of it, just a little closer to rifle season with the aspens and white caps.

11. Dec 16, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    Nice seatcovers! "hMr," right??

Yeah--you can't beat the scenery around here--my sig pic was taken in late sept about 10 miles down a dirt road from my house--but it's sure expensive! Taking a 7x7 with a bow is tough--double tough! Because of the crowds, I'm moving from rifle to muzzleloading next year, but I just don't have the patience for a bow--you've got my respect!

I'd like to hear about that cooper-- my "ideal" tire would be an A/T like the duratrac in 255/85r16, but my truck's a daily driver, so I'm staying with a smaller size-- in my experience, 265/75's can get you anywhere 285/75's can...

Yeah, silver sky is an awesome color-- keep the pics coming!

12. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    Pepe98

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Here it is pretty much stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    Fiolo

Fiolo Senior member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, 2022 Tacoma, 2019 L5P Duramax
    Lost track many mods ago
    That's awesome !

14. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    :popcorn:

pretty... even the tires are shiny!

15. Dec 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
  16. Dec 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    If you plan on doing lift skip the half A$$ kits and just get icons, kings or fox and get a real leaf pack in the back.

Fyi air intake's on these trucks does jack crap.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  17. Dec 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    Just give him LT:cool:

18. Dec 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    yes or SAC

19. Dec 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I would recommend the toytec ulk for the lift and for a sound system $800 can get your son a decent sound system. And for tires i would go Duratracs.

20. Dec 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    pretty sound advice right there.

"power adders" really dont do shit for our trucks lol

Products Discussed in