1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose Bed Bolt

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DryCreek, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dec 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    DryCreek

DryCreek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVH-X2600BT Fog Anytime Trailer Plug Relocate (bullaculla) Ride Rite Air Bags OEM Roof Rack Rearview Camera Wet Okole Seat Covers Maxpedition Holster SOS Sliders Washable Cabin Filter Access Bed Cover K&N Drop In Filter Rearview Mirror Relocate (ImMrYo)
    Picked up a used 08 DCLB TRD Sport and have been going though it getting the bugs out. First off huge thanks to the forum and all you guys. TW has and will be a great resource, but very expensive. The "To Do List" keeps growing thanks to all the sweet info here.

I have an Accsess roll up bed cover and have figured for the last couple weeks that's where my rattle was coming from. After a cheap roll of weather stripping under the bars of the cover and no luck with rattle, I got in the bed and had the brother drive around the block. At first there was no rattle! I was like WTH, until I moved to the other side of the bed. Sure enough front passenger side bed bolt loose (1/8"). Got home and went to tighten it up with no luck. I hope I didn't torque the bolt to much and need a new one now.

My question is (yes I have searched) what's the "best" fix. I have seen some add a washer up top, some rubber bushings underneath? Any other suggestions, where it's a common problem I figured there might be a "best fix" but haven't found the answer.

2. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    So, did it turn, or was it already snugged down as far as it will go, and you're still getting a rattle from it? Hadn't heard of that, but first I would remove it and blow an air hose down into the hole and make sure there isn't something in it. The former owner could have had the bolt out for something and maybe some small bit of trash/debris is in there. If that didn't work, then maybe just put a thicker washer, or a rubber washer under the old.

3. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    DryCreek

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVH-X2600BT Fog Anytime Trailer Plug Relocate (bullaculla) Ride Rite Air Bags OEM Roof Rack Rearview Camera Wet Okole Seat Covers Maxpedition Holster SOS Sliders Washable Cabin Filter Access Bed Cover K&N Drop In Filter Rearview Mirror Relocate (ImMrYo)
    It turned a hair is all. I searched and have found others with same problem and same bolt it seems. There is still a good 3/16" from bottom of bolt to washer in bed so I know it's not fixed. I will look into washer/rubber spacer for now. Need some daylight to really dig into it.

4. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    That's pretty weird. I wasn't aware it was more common. Hope you can find a good resolution to it. Worst case, something thicker under it will work. Still I have to wonder what is causing this to begin with? If you find it, be sure to post it.

5. Dec 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    DryCreek

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB TRD Sport
    Picked up a rubber washer and a couple stainless washers at lowes this morning. Rubber washer against the bed and a stainless one on top of it with original washer on bolt and it is taken care of. The rubber washer was slightly larger then the stainless so I trimed the edges to clean it up. Turned out good and I am thinking I will do the other 5 to make it match and solve another problem before it starts. The composite bed was worn down allittle so I hope the rubber keeps this from happening.

6. Dec 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Nows a good time to add extra D-rings

7. Dec 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    There's the best fix......

8. Dec 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Not sure I'm understanding the OP. You're talking about a loose bed bolt? One of these? (see pic). They thread into the frame, 55 ft*lbs is about right. Not sure why you'd have a problem with not being able to snug them down. In all my time on TW, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them. :notsure:

DSC07391_bef069125729ae781e3b09c84223f32232e8506e.jpg

9. Dec 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    DryCreek

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB TRD Sport
    I searched about it and found several treads where guys had the same problem. Same bolt for that matter front passenger side. I assume the bolt is bottoming out and can't be tightened more. I tried and about broke the head off.

I like the extra D-ring idea. I am going to have to find some that would work. Anyone have a link?

10. Dec 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:

Sounds like there is some material missing and leaving a space between the washer and bed. I suspect this must be from the bolt getting loose in the past. So, a likely prevention would be to check bed bolt tightness every so often. I'll do that, and if I still end up with a loose bolt later on down the road, I'll just do rubber washers as well.

11. Dec 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check the condition of the bed, underneath, where this bolt is. Make sure the composite bed isn't broken or damaged there.

12. Dec 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    I had the same thing when I bought mine used. What I did first, was to put WD-40 and loose the bolt all the way out. Then wire brushed the hell out of it cause it was rusty. the I sprayed the hole with break parts cleaner and put the blue thread lock just at the tip of the screw and let it semi-dry. then I put a 1/8" washer and torqued to specs. it went all the way in this time. So far is holding on.

13. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    DryCreek

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB TRD Sport
    It's like a dream to drive and not hear the rattle. The underside of bed looks allittle worn like the top did. No cracks so I think if it stays tight now should be good to go.

14. Dec 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    Bodacious

Bodacious Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Might try and just grind off a 1/4" or so off the sharp tip, that should allow it to tighten up if it's bottoming out???? IDK

15. Dec 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    Atomic47

Atomic47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Leveling kit, AAL, air-ride, Rear diff breather mod, Illuminated 4wd Switch, 4 more D rings, fog lights anytime, 7 pin relocate, Coca-Cola mod, TRD Off-Road hook, Weathertechs, secret custom cargo light, 09 lower dash panel, heated seats, 2013 oem touch screen radio, reverse camera added into Pop'n'Lock locking tailgate handle, black powder-coated TRD Sport rims, 32" light bar in custom fabricated mount, aux reverse lights in rear bumper
    I had exactly the same problem when I bought my 2008 double-cab in February of 2010. Front passenger side bed bolt would bottom out before it pulled the bed down tight. Took it to a local dealership who "tightened" it up for me. A few months later it was loose again...and the cardboard that they had put under the bolt finally deteriorated enough that it came out. I fixed the problem permanently when I installed extra D rings off of a wrecked Tacoma.

16. Dec 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    DryCreek

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB TRD Sport
    I will be on the look out for some D Rings. Always use more places to tie gear down

17. Dec 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    logger2002

logger2002 New Member

Member:
    Anyone have the specs on what size socket these require? I have had mine loose about 1/4" of clearance between the top of the bolt and the bed and I haven't had a chance to torque them down. I use my Tacoma a lot on logging roads and the rattling is driving me nuts! I had a 2009 that I used for the same purpose and had no issues.

18. Dec 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    DryCreek

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB TRD Sport
    They are a torque 14mm I believe. I used a pipe wrench because I don't have the correct torque size. Search on here I know I saw the correct size in one of the other treads.
    That rattle is bad around town. I can only imagine how bad it has been for you. If they have been loose for loge there is sure to be some wear and you will have to add some washers or extra D-rings like others have recommended.

19. Dec 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    They thread into a open hole. So the issue you have is corrosion of debris build up stopping the bolt from tightening.

Off the top of my head it is a T-60 Torx, possibly a T-55 but believe it is the 60.

I added tie down points on mine and had to replace all 4 due to rust issues.

All of them came out fairly easily except for one which I had to use a pipe wrench on as well.

You need to take the bolt out and get a get once since it is likely rusted or try and clean it up but I am guessing it is nasty since you used a pipe wrench on the head as well.

Bolt is about 10 bucks from what I remember at the dealer.

20. Dec 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    motionridr8

motionridr8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Merrimack, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB
    5100's/886's/JBA UCAs, ICON RXT Rears, US Offroad Bumper

Products Discussed in

To Top