1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my Cooper Discoverer ATP's are noisy and shaky.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NiceGuyEddie, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

NiceGuyEddie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    EDIT: OLD 70,000 MILE TIRES TO PROVE EVEN ALIGNMENT:

20131217_164513_zps7b44fb19_4e2db235a04a817b1dcfd821a8f72b8bfe5d4953.jpg

20131221_123146_zps6ce1217a_df9d777767e809ccabe5d2e28f09d02f79d3a25b.jpg

Hi guys, go easy on me, this is my first vehicle with non-stock tires.The truck looks tits with the new wheels and tires, but:The Cooper Discoverer ATP are marketed as smooth and quiet ride on and off road. I can't say I expected as quiet as the stock Bridgestones, but the truck is significantly noisier in the cab. The seats vibrate, and the steering wheel vibrates. After 200 miles, they did quiet down a bit. They gave me 35psi all around, I reduced it to stock 29psi front and 32psi rear.No change. I am 99% sure the alignment is good, see my old stock tires, perfect wear all around. Maybe one or more wheels are not balanced properly. I know this is subjective.Would any of you guys say the tires are NOT noisy, and compare to stock?I'm probably in the top 10% oldest of Tacoma owners, I'm not a kid and I can't live with all the[/IMG]

Hi guys, go easy on me, this is my first vehicle with non-stock tires.
    stepped up to 265/70/17 & 8.5" 0mm offset wheels.

The truck looks tits with the new wheels and tires, but:

• The Cooper Discoverer ATP are marketed as “smooth and quiet ride” on and off road.
    • I can’t say I expected as quiet as the stock Bridgestones, but the truck is significantly noisier in the cab.
    • The seats vibrate, and the steering wheel vibrates. not a lot, but enough to annoy me.
    • After 200 miles, they did quiet down a bit.
    • They gave me 35psi all around, I reduced it to “stock” 29psi front and 32psi rear. No change.
    • I am 99% sure the alignment is good, see my old stock tires, perfect wear all around. last alignment done 25,000 miles ago.

Maybe one or more wheels are not balanced properly?

I know this is subjective. Would any of you guys say the tires (or similar tires) are NOT noisy compared to stock? i see many tacomas and FJ Cruisers with this tire, i refuse to believe everybody is feeling the same thing.

I’m probably in the top 10% oldest of Tacoma owners, I’m not a kid and I can’t live with all the noise.

the dealer with NOT say "nah, you don't need alignment. save your $80 and have a nice day."

looking for information before i go back to the tire store. maybe a Tech at America's Tire can drive my truck for me on the highway.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    Go get the tires rebalanced.

If you have a Discount Tire in your area, go to them. Top notch service.

3. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Get them forced matched when balancing, over sized tires tend to come out of the manu inconsistently.

4. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Had similar issues with my last set of Coopers, same with my dad and his last 2 sets of Coopers. I won't buy their tires again, I couldn't get them to wear evenly or balance to save my life. They used to be great tires but I've had bad luck with them recently.

5. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    looks bald to me

6. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The first picture is of the worn out stock Bridgestone tires.

7. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy

8. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    interesting, i never heard of forced match in regards to balancing.

i got them from America's Tire, which is the California sister-company version of Discount Tire Direct. they were awesome at the store, i hope they will cooperate with me.

9. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    If they are a sister company then maybe they have the lifetime rotate-balance-replacement warranty. which you would have had to pay extra for..

Definitely worth the extra money for the warranty IMO

10. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Force match measures the imperfection of the tire and then trys to locate that area best to the rim to bring it within spec. Discount should have the machines to do Force Matching.

Tire should have its own warranty that should cover this if they do not pass force matching, depending on how long he has had them.

11. Dec 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    AWESOME GUYS

i'll use the buzz-word "forced matching" and yes, i have the warranty, lifetime balance and rotation. it was $79 for all four.

12. Dec 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  13. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    UPDATE:

i got an alignment and it's a little better. the truck steered perfectly straight beforehand, didn't pull, so i didn't think i needed it.

but they must have changed something, maybe less (or more) caster, or less (or more) toe-in. the tires are wider, with a wider stance so maybe the settings were different.

the "feel" in the steering wheel is different, less effort to turn, so i KNOW something had changed. the tech went home for the day, the Toyota dealer didn't give me that "before and after" printout with my paperwork.

even still, on the freeway, i look over and the passenger seat is shaking.

next is to see about re-balancing of the tires.

will advise,

14. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    So they didn an alignment, even though you need a balance.....

15. Dec 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    yea what gives, about 5 people here voted rebalance

16. Dec 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    dxpsman

dxpsman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport PreRunner
    AFE MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Black Tips, Complete OME 3" lift, debadged, Body Armor 4x4 side steps.
    I'm an assistant manager at Discount Tire (America's tire) in Vista. Ride complaints like this aren't completely uncommon with the ATP. Did you change sizing at all? Did you change from a P-metric tire to an LT rated tire?

We need to diagnose when you're feeling vibration (at speed, turning, going slow). Have them spin balance. If the numbers are on point, have them ride match the tires to your rims. If the numbers are too far off, they should replace the tires that are out of round at no cost to you.

If you still hate the ride (you shouldn't), you can always tell them you want something else. It's our policy to replace them free of charge, unless you upgrade to something more expensive, in which case you pay the difference.

If you feel like you're getting dicked around (again, you shouldn't), you can always have them call me. I'll make sure they're taking care of you.

asuchemist likes this.
  17. Dec 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 SR5 4x4
    Recently put ATP's on my truck 265/75/16. They are a little noisy compared to the original Bridgestone's but they have a more aggressive tread so some increased noise was expected. Just completed an 1,800 mile trip with them - no problems what-so-ever. Bought them from Discount Tire.

18. Dec 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Not going to look up the hub bore on those aftermarket wheels but they are likely a generic oversized match so they can go on the domestic trucks as well which have a larger bore.

Did they install hub rings to keep the wheels concentric. This is the most common issue besides a piss poor balance job.

DTC is good to go and perform quality work but even machines need calibration and you can have a tire which is bad but does not get noticed on a balancer, it will only show on a test drive.

Do the chalk test for proper PSI, check for even chalk wear across the tread.

Also verify if it was dynamic or static balanced. Basically you want the wheel balanced on both edges not just one. Pretty common for a lazy tech to only balance one side to speed up the process of balancing.

Look for adhesive stick weights or your typical clip weights on the edge. Either style of weights work but you need weight on the front and back edge. You will need to verify on all the wheels since some wheels might only require it on one side but there is no way all four will be that way.

19. Dec 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    NiceGuyEddie

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    hello friend, i opted for both alignment and tires. for the price of a tank of gas, it was worth the alignment for the peace of mind. and i was correct in doing so, the specs have definitely changed.

i will go for re-balancing tomorrow.

i am very encouraged at dxpsman's comments, i will see what they say at the store. due to holiday travel and the store being closed more often, i have logged almost 1,000 miles in the past 10 days i've had the tires. i hope this will not matter.

• i did go up to 265/70/17
    • i will accept the BOOM when you turn right too sharp out of a parking lot, and the right rear tire bounces down the curb. this noise wasn't as harsh as with the stock Bridgestones
    • the shaking is a freeway speeds only
    • the tire on my receipt says: 15942 NRM 265/70/17 115T OWL COOPER DISCOVERER ATP
    i am not sure about dxpsman's p-metric to LT tire, but i do understand LT means "light truck"

i will be honest and say that i chose the tires because the tread looked cool. i was willing to accept a BIT OF NOISE, however, keeping in mind i am not an expert - i don't presume the steering wheel and passenger seat should vibrate at highway speed.

and i refuse to believe all 734,893 FJ-Cruisers on the road with the same tire zize and similar tread pattern have the same issue.

will advise,

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  20. Dec 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Did you change from a P-metric tire to an LT rated tire?
    You're asking what ply he got right?
    We need to diagnose when you're feeling vibration (at speed, turning, going slow). Have them spin balance. If the numbers are on point, have them force match the tires to your rims. If the numbers are too far off, they should replace the tires that are out of round at no cost to you.
    FIFY, and yes if they do not force match he should get a new tire depending on how many are out of round.

If you feel like you're getting dicked around (again, you shouldn't), you can always have them call me. I'll make sure they're taking care of you.
    Well that is mighty white of ya. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top