1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunking/knocking sound driver side not sure what it is!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mit122, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    Mit122

Mit122 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    This is a decently loud clunking sound, I haven't driven my truck since Christmas eve, but I plan to bring her to a carwash to blast all the ice off of her and see if that works. But I want to get anyone's opinion of my post above with the attached pictures.

2. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    My brakes make a clunk on stop / take off. Also it looks like you might have a leak, take it to the dealer and let them do an assessment.

3. Dec 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    Mit122

Member:
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    Large,

Where do you think you see a leak in the pics? I didn't notice anything leaking? Plus, I don't only hear the clunk during stops or take offs, I also hear it anytime I hit a bump or even just driving over a rough patch of road.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. Dec 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Mit122

Member:
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport

Can you guys help me identify the components in my pictures? Specifically where the yellow arrow is pointing. I'm new to 4wd and trucks in general. I think this may be where my noise is coming from.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Dec 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Its a CV joint for the front axle. There shouldnt be any play in it. Sorry, i havent worked on this on my truck so i cant really offer a definite diagnosis, but i suspect that the CV joint might be bad. There are rebuild kits that you can buy, or you can replace the whole half shaft, if that is indeed your problem. Hopefully someone else can chime in who has more experience with this issue.

6. Dec 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Not entirely correct.

Yes it is a CV joint you are pointed at. That joint DOES have a bit of play in and out (longitudinally with the shaft) to compensate for CV plunge with movement of the suspension. There should be no rotational movement though.

Get the truck thawed out somehow and go from there. You sure you don't have a snapped leaf spring? My mom's 07 made the most god awful sound over bumps when her stock leaf pack took a dump.

7. Dec 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    That's the driver's side CV. There's going to be a little play where it goes into the differential thanks to Toyota not giving us a properly machined spider gear, even when the truck is brand new. See Chase's explanation vid in the front diff vibration thread

8. Dec 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Mine has this play also, but i havent seen any diff fluid leaking from the seal area so havent done anything but check at each oil change.

steve o 7, thanks for clarifying, i didnt realize that the shaft had longitudinal play when the truck wasnt moving

9. Dec 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Like Steve-o said what you're pointing out is your cv joint covered with the rubber commonly called a boot. You have one of those shafts on each side connecting to your front tires exactly like the solid axle in the back but set up to allow independent movement of both front end tires. They deliver power from the engine to the wheels via a differential givng you 4x4.To me it looks like a leak in the boot because of the, I think, slug out grease in the wheel well which could point to a bearing being burned up when you're driving creating premature wear and tear.
    Looks like it is coming from right where you're pointing. Along that metal ring there may be a split in the rubber from general wear or maybe it was helped along by the road salt I assume you drive on in the winter. That's axle grease in there it doesn't drip or anything because its so thick unless it's really hot. It could be a loose bolt, a bad bearing, or just need a repack with grease no one will really be able to tell you without seeing it in person. IMO next stop is a stealership

10. Dec 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    Mit122

Member:
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    If I can't get into the dealership right away will I cause much more damage by driving it. Also, the "grease" you may be seeing in the pic could also be the fluid film I applied before winter to the wheel wells, frame and metal components, plus much of my underside has a mixture of snow/ice/sand/salt on it right now. I plan to get her cleaned up tomorrow and have another look.

11. Dec 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance Sleeper Cell

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    It's hard to say without knowing exactly what's wrong. If it seems to get worse quickly pull over. Driving in 2wd might be better since it will take some stress out of the components but they will still be spinning.

12. Dec 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Mit122

Member:
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    Well yesterday I picked away some ice that had accumulated near the mudflap and body/frame. I didn't drive it until this morning and the sound is gone, I also washed her at a self service car wash and did some errands around town, drove about 40 miles mixed highway/city and no more sound. :)

Like some of the previous posters said, it must've been some ice. Thanks for everyone's input and if it happens to come back i'll let you know.

Products Discussed in

To Top