1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me choose my new Rifle

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by LT1, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Those are all great brands. Find the best priced on you can find. Magzines is what you should be worried about. Only jams I've had are from junk mags.

2. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Assuming you will be using this when on duty?
    If so, then ya, you're kinda stuck... but the stripped lower is less than $150 with DROS, so it's not that big of a deal. Most of your money is in the barrel and optics.

BTW: You can do a 14.5" barrel, so long as the flash hider is pinned and welded. Yes, the magazine is pinned at 10rds.

[​IMG]

3. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    There's a reason you see used firearms sell for damn near as much as new usually. They're designed to take a world of abuse and tons of use.

Personally I also wouldn't go with Colt & with that list there are plenty of quality manufacturers to choose from w/o needing to.

4. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Move.

5. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Cant help you to much but will say any of those companies rifles will stand up to your use. All of them are military/LEO background companies and stand by their gear. All i can recommend is decide what barrel length you want, what sort of rail you want, what twist rate you want, then make a list of all the rifles that fit those. From there just see who offers what with those rifles (ie does BCM offer backup iron sights vs nothing). Basically just make a wish list for your self and then get to browsing!

6. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC/LB/4x4/TRD supa sport!
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    Fortunately, I have about 8 PMAGS and they're all topped at 28rds. I've never had an issue with them thus far..

Dude, that rifle looks sick.. I don't think the dept will like the snake pattern though. Fortunately I already have plenty of quality furniture and excellent optics (eotech w/3x magnifier and an aimpoint t-1 depending on which setup I wanna go with). Oh, and my mags wont have to be pinned at 10rds!!!

I've strongly considered it! Reno Nevada?? Arizona's laws are better, but its soo damn HOT!![​IMG]

I think you have a great point.. Thank you for your input..

7. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Thanks.

Ya, they probably won't accept anything but "Tacticool Black"

That is a Daniel barrel with a Smith Vortex flash hider.
    It's a 14.5" midlength gas system. With the standard Mil buffer, it drops all of the brass into a nice little pile at 4:30. The carbine system, especially on a 16" barrel, really is overgassed due to the excessive dwell time.

Riflegear in Fountain Valley did the assembly on the upper.
    I think they called 3 times to make sure I wanted the Troy rail and low-profile gas block before they welded the FH... once that is on, the gas block and barrel nut are not coming off again.

On twist rate, I really believe that a 1:9 is the most versatile twist.
    It is fast enough to handle the .62gr steel core rounds, but won't spin the snot out of a .45gr varmint round. It is perfect for the .55gr XM193 (which is about all you can shoot at Burro or Angeles since it seems like they are always checking for magnetic).
    A lot of people like the 1:7, and that is mil-spec, but that twist rate is really only needed for the heavy tracer rounds.
    I've seen a 1:7 spin the jacket off of a .55gr round (target looked like it was hit with a shotgun).

My 14.5" is a 1:7 (because Daniel did not make a 1:9, not sure if they do now or not), and my 20" is a 1:9.

8. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    8? n00b. ;)

Check out Utah then. Not too far from you, great weather, awesome state and one of the best states in the country for gun laws even though most people typically don't think of it. Idaho is another good one near the top of the list. Plenty of options but you happen to live in one of the states at the other end of the spectrum. I love Southern California (proposed to my wife in La Jolla @ Scripp's Park overlooking the ocean at sunset) but you couldn't pay me enough to live there with the laws the way they are now. Hell, I haven't even been back since I proposed to my wife there. Too bad the idiots took state over because it's one of my favorite places geographically in the nation. I digress. Get the hell out of that state! lol

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    Excellent point on the twist rate.. the dept will want me to only use their rounds, so I need to check how heavy the duty rounds are. Also, the memo says that the upper and lower needs to be matching, so I probably cant play too much with it. and I love riflegear.. I've purchased everything from them..

10. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Check out Utah then. Not too far from you, great weather, awesome state and one of the best states in the country for gun laws even though most people typically don't think of it. Idaho is another good one near the top of the list. Plenty of options but you happen to live in one of the states at the other end of the spectrum. I love Southern California (proposed to my wife in La Jolla @ Scripp's Park overlooking the ocean at sunset) but you couldn't pay me enough to live there with the laws the way they are now. Hell, I haven't even been back since I proposed to my wife there. Too bad the idiots took state over because it's one of my favorite places geographically in the nation. I digress. Get the hell out of that state! lol[/QUOTE]

I think CA is an awesome place geographically as well. It's got EVERYTHING mountains, ocean, desert, all can be done within hours! Crazy!! but the stupid ass politicians ruin everything.. so heck, I may have to go to Utah!

11. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    The only thing you'd be giving up is the ocean and warm winters.

Also, the politicians are only doing what the people allow them to get away with. After all, we all get the government we deserve.

12. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    And who likes oceans & warm winters anyways!?

13. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    There's always lakes & heaters! :D

14. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    dph473

dph473 Active Member

Member:
    I know there are Colt haters but after talking to several friends that have been through various armorer schools, I would go with the Colt LE6920. There are more expensive weapons out there but the best bang for the buck is the 6920.
    People always say Colt is going bankrupt, etc. I've been hearing that for 21 years since I bought my first 1911.

15. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Someone told me once, during the firearms scare, "ABC, always buy Colt" I guess the premise was that the Colts will always hold their value, kinda like a Toyota, not the coolest toy out there (someone else's opinion) but it'll always work and will hold its value.

I mean, whats wrong with the Colt LE6940 or LE6940P?

16. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM
    jaeforceone

jaeforceone Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jae
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    LWRC m6 SPR rifle either in regular or individual carbine for about 2k on gunbroker. MP15 sport is a nice cheap platform to upgrade stuff on. Good luck waiting on a Larue, I hear wait times are around 8-14 months and customer service department has really gone down the toilet. RRA is great. BCM has major wait times for complete rifles and even longer time for parts (if your going to build)

I also was debating on getting an AR platform and ultimately decided LWRC because it didn't need any upgrading. good luck shopping

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  17. Dec 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for your two cents good sir!

18. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    The difference between Toyota and Colt is that Toyota actually values their customers and doesn't shun them in the name of government contracts and helps to draft legislation taking away their average customer's rights to use their & other products. Like I said before, there are FAR too many options from GOOD companies to consider those that have done nefarious things over the years. People who swear by Colt are either dusty old farts or got the info from a dusty old fart. I'm loyal to the company that makes the best rifle for the money and supports our rights to own and operate them. Pretty simple requirements as a consumer. There was a time when Colt was the end all be all and that time was a few decades ago. Kind of a lot has happened since then.

As far as holding it's value, buy top tier, take care of it and should you ever decide to sell it you'll get your money back. Hell, I usually profit on selling used firearms when I do based on how I buy and what I buy. Selling is easy if you do those right. I really wouldn't worry about resale value because 1) firearms NEVER go down in price 2) If you concentrate more on buying right the first time you won't have to resell and 3) if you're taking a bath for hundreds of dollars on a thousand dollar rifle you're just an impatient idiot.

BTW, that 'Always buy ABC' actually stood for: Armalite, Bushmaster & Colt to give you an idea how dated that statement is. The only one that people still talk about in relative terms when it comes to quality weapons is Colt and even that is based on the name and not the product or company. They don't make an awful product but there's more that goes into the decision these days since so many good options at good prices exist.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  19. Dec 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Did you even read his requirements before posting?

Your LWRC is 33% over his budget and then he still needs accessories to put it into duty. Not to mention it's not even on his approved list.

I would also rather buy a nice midlength gas system rifle for half the price than spend $2k on a carbine but that's just me. Larue wait times (like most) are lengthy but they make a quality product. Their customer service is still some of the best in the industry... see long wait times as proof. RRA hasn't been 'great' in decades and I wouldn't recommend them. QC has gone down more than a fair bit in that time span and they rely largely on a name they made for themselves back when Knight Rider was the big thing. I also wouldn't build a first rifle for duty use for various reasons. BCM has long wait times but that's also because they make a quality product at a great price. FYI, any rifle worth owning is going to come from a place that has a long wait time if you try to order direct from the manufacturer. Best bet is to decide what you want and then find it at a shop or online dealer who already waited that year.

Buy a quality complete rifle, add some quality accessories (only the basic & required) and call it a day.

20. Dec 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Wow.. Thank you for the insight.. That's why I love TW.. If you got a question, regardless of topic, we've got someone that can answer that question.

Products Discussed in

To Top