1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone work with GIS?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by logcabinwc, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Dec 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    EVE Designs

EVE Designs GNAR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Valle Vista, Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 Offroad
    You need to do a Join of the Excel Table to the Existing shapefile you have. Base the join on the Parcel numbers.

Are the parcels you need already included in the existing shape file?

2. Dec 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    yep they are all in there but when i tried to do a join it would not select the parcel in the excel file. It was just blank in the drop down box :/

3. Dec 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM
    EVE Designs

EVE Designs GNAR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Valle Vista, Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 Offroad
    Let me mess with it at work tomorrow and see what your looking at. I can't remember off the top of my head. You could go in and manually select all 423 parcels, and the export to a new shape file if worst comes to worst

4. Dec 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Ya that will be my last ditch effort... I just dont want to weed through almost 106,000 parcels to find 423! But if it comes to that I will :( Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! I was playing with joins and relations all afternoon

5. Dec 12, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    Gis cant read unformatted excel tables. In excel create a new field and call it ObjectID and make it first column. Save and exit out of excel. Restart arcmap. In arcmap add excel spreadsheet to map. Right click on your existing shapefile or newly added excel file and do a table join. Select appropriate fields and follow prompts. Problem solved. Also make sure your field for parcel ids in excel has a header for first line.

6. Dec 12, 2013 at 5:56 AM
    ONALL4

ONALL4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2004 V6 4X4
    Ya I am programmer for satellite & gis application we use esri, bing and google map. Def not the easiest to code, presenting bunch of dots on the map and grouping them when zoom in out then there is unit conversion USNG is my favorite just for the American military.

7. Dec 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD

This is what I tried before... I'll give it a try again though.
    Again, the help is very much appreciated, thanks guys

8. Dec 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    You have to obviously make sure that your header fields are not using reserved words etc etc etc.

I always make object id fields just because it eliminates possibility of any arising issues because of it.

In my case when I do table joins worst thing that happens is that it skips records which gives me a clue that not all records are the same. Look at what you have, make sure that naming conventions match and do qaqc on both shapefile and spreadsheet.

Another thing to consider is that joining is very finnicky. For example 00049 =/= 49 and " 49" =/= "49" and "49" =/= "49 "

Find a record that you know to be "same" and cross reference it between spreadsheet and shapefile. Another thing you can do is based on your license level you can try running something like a table compare tool. Also make sure that your numbers are stored as numbers in both places or stored as text in both places.

9. Jan 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...many different ways to do it, ...you can actually do this using the "model builder" (geoprocessing modeling) that comes w/ arcgis... in simple terms, you'd make a model that loads both excel worksheets, then performs a join operation using the "parcel id" field in the second dataset, and outputs the result to a shapefile or to a geodatabase...

10. Jan 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    JTacoma

JTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7 4X4 5 speed
    Icon Stage 2 Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 33x12.50x15 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP on American Racing AR201 15x10 wheels, differential drop, carrier bearing drop, BPV bracket, Leer canopy with Rhino Racks
    I have been using ArcGIS every day at work for the past few months. I am drawing in all of the sewer service connections from homes to the mains. 75% of our sewer lines have been televised and recorded. I go through the recordings using Granite XP and locate the connections from there. There are over 3000 lines in town and more than 150 miles of pipe to look at. GIS is a very powerful tool and I am learning more every day.

11. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:48 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Awesome! Ya the learning curve is steep but it's such a great tool.

12. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    outdeh

outdeh Active Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Got my Masters degree in GIS. Arc is a weird program, not the most user-friendly, but once you learn some of the tricks it comes easy. The online resource center is a super helpful source of information when you're stuck, lots of really good step-by-step tutorials.

Now that I've got my degree I've decided I can't stand jobs that require sitting on your ass in front of a screen all day. Oh well!

13. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Want to have some fun with ArcGIS, throw in the Schneider Fiber Manager add-on.
    ArcGIS is great for mapping and water/sewer... even for power distribution.
    Fiber? That's worse than telecom... multiple 144 strand cables is too much without a separate database handler.

Thankfully, I've got a temp doing it :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  14. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Newbie to all this, but are any of you guys surveyors? Didn't know if ARC factored into that

15. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    not a surveyor... but our office surveyor does use GIS

16. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Gotcha! Is a 4-year degree required for what ya'll do?

17. Feb 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Sometimes it seems like a 4 year degree is needed to use ArcGIS.

It is a seriously intense program. Makes Autocad 2000 look like Windows Paint.
    We added the Schneider Fiber Manager module for plotting our fiber optic network and just the plug-in was a 5-day class for the two of us.

My position, a degree in electrical engineering is one requirement, but the degree can be waived in lieu of professional experience.

Our "smart" GIS guy is actually moonlighting from his job as a manager in the tire install shop at Costco. He puts in 4 hours a day with us and then goes to Costco, but it is only a temporary position. Once he's mapped our fiber, he's gone. We considered using an intern, but you get what you pay for... the last intern didn't do shit for 4 months.

18. Feb 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    CNEDEER

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Ah gotcha. When I was in high school, I had an interest in a career as a surveyor, but never really knew how to go about doing so as none of the universities around me offered an actual surverying degree.

19. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Sometimes it does seem like it.. but there are cert programs out there for it. At UC Davis you could minor in it and get the cert.

20. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    x2 on the cert programs that's what I did. I just added it on to my 4 year degree at MN Duluth, which only took one semester since I was geography major/geology minor and already did most of the core courses...

To Top