1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone recommend a good tire pressure

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ham Bone, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    Ham Bone

Ham Bone [OP] Welder at Kaufman Trailers of N.C

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    09 / Double Cab SR5 / 4x4 / 6 Speed Manual
    4" lift / T Rex billet grill / Spyder halo projection headlights / Bully bull bar / OEM running boards
    I have a 2009 Double cab 4x4 that I just recently lifted and put 35-12.50s on. I was wandering if anyone could recommend a good tire pressure to run? I only use the truck for regular driving and sometimes pulling my boat and the problem is that it rides like a horse and buggy. I have played with the pressure and have been unable to get what I feel is good although it may just be the nature of the beast, I don't know. also the truck feels generally unstable, by that I mean that it follows every crack, bump, line and groove in the road. I am new to running this size of M/T tires so this could all just be how it is. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    4" lift / T Rex billet grill / Spyder halo projection headlights / Bully bull bar / OEM running boards
    What? cant see the relevance here

3. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    this will happen with a lift and larger tires...you probably need to get it realigned, try to get the caster around 2.5, that will help tremendously with the wandering you have...

Toe 0
    Camber 0

these figures may not be achievable with the stock suspension components, if you have some aftermarket UCA's, then it should be achievable..

others will chime in, just gave you some basic info to get started..

edit:

also, what kind of tires, are they E rated? If so, they ride hard to begin with, stiffer sidewall, transfers more vibration to the butt and steering wheel...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    What kind of lift did you have installed? Not sure what you were expecting when you lifted the truck and put tires that big on it. It's not going to drive anywhere near like it did when it was stock. Like was suggested above, you could get some help with the wandering by having your alignment adjusted.

5. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    thank you. any recommendations on tire pressure?

6. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I really don't think tire pressure has much to do with how it's driving.

7. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    yeah, I wasn't expecting it to ride like a caddy but on a bumpy road it is almost uncontrolable

8. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    Ok, that's what I was wandering.... if the tire pressure had something to do with the wandering

9. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    I tried 35 psi and when I hit a bump it felt like it was gonna put the rear axle through the bed

10. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I agree get an alignment. For a 3" lift try to Shoot for close to Caster: 2.5-3 Toe: 0 Camber:0

I don't have the same size tires but I run my tires at Front: 40 and Rear: 36 (Max pressure rated at 44psi) This is because I have an ARB bumper.

11. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    thanks guys. I'm gonna pump em up to 35 and go have an alignment done. If I tell them that I want the caster set at 2.5 do you think that they will?

12. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    4" 10 ply

13. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    The switch to AT and especially Muds will kill it every time. You want soft tires, return to stock. Can't really have both, meaty tires with a comfy ride, they just don't exist. You find them and they are not crappy and get chewed up easy let me know.

Air down will help, but honestly these trucks don't weigh a lot so even doing that isn't the best solution and will just wear the tire down fast.

14. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    pretty much just deal with it and let er eat, right?

15. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    yes a block. stock springs

16. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    Ham Bone

Member:
    Lexington, N.C
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for everything.

17. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Blocks wouldn't change the ride so yep its those 10 ply tires you bought. Yep, you will just have to deal with it. Maybe throw some weight in the back, that helps a bit.

18. Jan 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    That wandering feeling is probably tramlining. If you are not used to it or have never felt it before it is pretty weird. It is really common with wide tires. My Mustang used to do it, and my truck on 285s and now 35s does it. I know it especially does it when driving through intersections that have depressions in the road. Does it feel like it is steering itself?

You said you just lifted and now you feel every bump in the road. Sounds like your suspension is set up too stiff.

"Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs?" Wikipedia

Got the answers.
    What suspension did you get?
    What shocks?
    What is the Spring rate?
    Are they adjustable?
    What Rear Springs?

EDIT: Yeah tires definitely have to do with the stiffness just saw the post about the 10ply tires. That will definitely stiffen the ride.

What suspension did you get? BDS 4"
    What shocks? None
    What is the Spring rate? Stock
    Are they adjustable? No
    What Rear Springs? Stock

- Blocks in the rear are definitely not going to stiffen the rear.

The issue is expectations and tires.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  19. Jan 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    Viorent Grip

Viorent Grip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay Los Santos
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB 52x44 Roof Rack, ARB Intensity LED Spot/Flood, ARB Simpson Series III Rooftop Tent, OME 2" Heavy Lift Kit Nitro OME Dakar Leaf Packs, SuperWinch Tiger Shark 11500 Winch, CBI Off Road Fabrication Rear Tire Carrier w/ 2x 5 Gal Jerry Can Carrier, camp light attachment, fold out table, CBI Off Road Fabrication Bolt-On Rock Sliders, All-Pro Off Road Front IFS Skid Plate, All-Pro Off Road Expedition Series Pack Rack with custom bikini top, Ready Lift Suspension UCA's, Ready Lift Suspension Heavy Duty Steering Kit, Rigid Industries 38" E-Series LED Light Bar, Rigid Industries Dually Diffused Camp Light, Rigid Industries SR-M Back Up Lights and Bed Light, Magnaflow Pro Off Road Series Exhaust, Air Flow Snorkel / Donaldson Pre-Cleaner, TRS/Morimoto Bi-Xenon FX-R HID Projectors Apollo 2.0 shrouds & Morimoto XB LEDs 17x8 +0 Evo Corse Dakar Zero 295/70R17 Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T Nitro Gear & Axle 4.56 Ring & Pinion, ARB On-Board Air compressor ARB front and rear air lockers RAM Mounts no-drill Laptop/Tablet mount Hi-Lift xtreme jack TRED Recovery boards Insain Fab cab Mount Chop Bushwacker Pocket fender flares RotopaX Emergency Preparedness and 2 Gallon Waterpax
    OP, what are your tire specs? As in, Make and model and is it an LT fitment? What is the Load rating, load range, and speed rating? Tacomas originally come with a P-Metric fitment, going to an LT fitment may require more air pressure to match the same load of the OE tire. Under inflation will cause irregular tire wear as well as potential damage to the tire itself for being under inflated with constant highway driving.

There is actually a load and inflation table guide that can determine what pressure your new fitment will require, that or talk to a tire dealer that sells the tires you have, they should be able to tell you what the proper inflation is for your application.

http://toyotires.com/tires-101/load-and-inflation-tables

Products Discussed in

To Top