1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Digital Thermometer DIY - Gen. 1

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MoreMonkey, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    MoreMonkey

MoreMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    I've been meaning to install a digital thermometer in the Tacoma for months now. With winter here, it turns out I wouldn't mind knowing if it is 38 degrees out or 28 degrees out when I head into a curve that might be wet or might be coated in black ice.

So I got a cheap digital thermometer online for about $9. (Actually I got two, just in case. Now I need to figure out where else in my life I need 12 volt temperature readings.)

Took the thermometer apart, trimmed it a little with the Dremel, and installed it in the switch blank at the bottom of the center console. (What are those for, anyway?)

Tapped power from the aux lighter outlets so the thermometer comes on with the key. Ran the sensor out through the shifter access and attached it to the frame a few feet behind the driver side wheel.

Works like a charm. The only two rough parts of the installation came when I test-rigged the console & thermometer to the battery in the engine bay and proudly showed my wife that it worked. She told me it would probably make more sense to install it inside the truck since it would be both hard to drive with the hood up and impossible to read the thermometer with it in the engine bay.

The second rough part came when I did the final wiring test in the cab and thought I had fried the thermometer's chip because the readings were gibberish. It took me about five minutes to realize I was looking at the panel upside down.

out of the box.jpg
    blurry backside.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    wires.jpg
    installed.jpg

2. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Looks good, I like the display...clean.

I don't know if would make a difference, but typical sensors are located in the grill on many cars (BMW puts theirs in the cooling duct to the front brakes). You may get inaccurate readings if the probe gets coated with salt, dirt, mud or other crap.

3. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    MoreMonkey

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    I wanted to put it in the grill but didn't have long enough wires to reach. Thought about mud, snow, salt, all that. But figured if it turns out to be a problem I can always splice in more wire and route it all the way to the front.

4. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    yeah I see that thermometer wire getting coated in the dirt and grime of the world but other than that I like it.

might have to do this myself

5. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    MoreMonkey

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    The truck is about as grimy as it gets...hasn't been washed in about a month and has been driving through winter slop. So I figure the condition of the location on the backside of the frame support is pretty representative of how nasty it will get.

In any event, I'll keep an eye on things.

6. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Nicely done, OP! (Your wife sounds like mine...)

7. Jan 4, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    jspansel

jspansel Just duct tape it

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Central OR
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 Xtra Cab Tacoma, 5 Speed, 4x4, Lifted
    5100s front at 2.5" with Moog replacement springs, 5100s in rear with 2" Wheeler's AAL
    Nice! I like it. I miss having a temp gauge.

8. Jan 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    gman2530

gman2530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Looks Perfect!!!!!!

9. Jan 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    metrick1215

metrick1215 Pirate Medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    Like the idea, how accurate is it? a few degrees off or ?

10. Jan 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    MoreMonkey

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    Well, sitting in the 50 degree garage it was very accurate. This afternoon on a trip to the dump it seemed a little high, so it is possible the sensor is reading some engine heat

Curiously, it's very quick to react to small temperature changes (going through the shade, down at the bottom of a hill, etc.) so I have a feeling that the ones built into cars have some algorithm that smooths out the second by second fluctuations. I know the temp readings in my other cars don't change as fast as this one does.

But to answer the question, it seems to read a little high. But I'm going out tonight and will see how it does in the cold and dark of a Maine winter's night.

As soon as I get more heat-shrink tubing, I will splice in a longer set of wires and run it to the grille where it belongs after all.

11. Jan 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    MoreMonkey

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    Here's the update:

I need someone with some electrical knowledge to give me an idea how to get the sensor to be more accurate. It's fine in the 50s (in the garage where I have verified the temp) but outside tonight when it should have read 14 degrees (brrr) it was showing around 29.

My theory is that because I had to lengthen the sensor wires (they were initially only about 5" long - far too short) I caused some kind of resistance that leads to incorrect readings.

I will re-do my sensor wiring in the next couple of days with cleaner solder joints, but I'm wondering if there's an electrical engineer who can give me any pointers. I've got a humanities background and we all know how practical that is around motor vehicles.

12. Jan 5, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    You are on the right track by reducing the resistance in your wiring. Sampling rate will affect the reading. The tricky part is finding a clean shady spot in the front end that is not affected by engine heat or thermal transfer.

13. Jan 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    Hey...looking at your pics...did you pull the lower console apart to get back there?

14. Jan 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    billpete

billpete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hendersonville, NC
    Had a 2002 DC, now a 2004 DC.
    I like it! Been wanting one in my Taco for some time. Interested to see the final results.

Thanks for posting this up!

15. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:00 AM
    MoreMonkey

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    I did pull the lower console apart. Also took the trim from around the shifter so I could drop the sensor wire down there. Both are really easy to do.

I've been getting some crazy readings from the thermometer. When the engine is off I get temps that are accurate, but when I turn the engine on, I get readings 5-10 degrees higher. I don't think it is engine heat because it happens immediately, before the truck has a chance to heat up. And it happens again immediately when I turn the truck off (readings drop 5-10 degrees) when engine heat would set ill be an issue.

Mysterious. Hoping it will be solved with better wire and better solder joints. I will keep you posted.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  16. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tacoma Ex Cab 4x4 V6 5-Speed
    Pretty well stock
    I like this idea. Would you please link specific therometer you bought? I see some on eBay with extended sensors too.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM
    MoreMonkey

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
  18. Jan 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tacoma Ex Cab 4x4 V6 5-Speed
    Pretty well stock
  19. Jan 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    MoreMonkey

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    Andrew,

The problem with that one is that it's celsius. Other than that, it looks identical to the one I have. I'm thinking if I can't fix the sensor on my own, the $6 might be worth it just for the longer sensor.

20. Jan 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    This one is Fahrenheit and has a 3 meter long probe.

I just don't know where I'd mount it. Hmmm...

Products Discussed in

To Top