1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road Noise

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Fester, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jan 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    Fester

Fester [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Louisiana
    NOT YET
    I notice that my Taco has alot of road noise running at hwy speeds. I am thinking about installing dynamat (or similar product). What do I need to know about installing sound deading? ie: How much matterial do i need to buy or tips on doing the install. Or would I just be better served paying someone to do it?

I am sorry I am a complete novice with audio. I am however fairly good with electronics.

2. Jan 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Do a search here on TW for RaamMat. Its similar to Dynamat and cheaper. And I hear TW members get a bit of a discount if you email them. This is the website for RaamMat. The website can help you figure out how much of which product(s) to buy.

Check out this, this, and this. These threads should be very helpful to you.

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Do some more research,,, for decreasing road noise you will need sound deadener, not vibration dampener. Dynamat is vibration dampener. RaamMat does have both, just make sure you know what you are ordering and for what purpose. Sounddeadenershowdown is also a good source.

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Fester

Fester [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Louisiana
    NOT YET
    I will take a look at the RaamMat. From my short look it does look like a good product. But this is looking like a job i will need help with. Thats not good.

5. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    I used a product called Fatmat when I installed my stereo and well worth it. I believe I still a good amout leftover, Not enought for your whole truck, but if interested could sell what I do have.

6. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    I used 50 sq ft of this when I replaced my entire sound system:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWAKYIU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I picked this because of price and thickness. It was easy to install. I added this to the inside of the door cavities and on the inner part of the doors (front and back) as well as the rear wall. It made the doors close with a solid thunk, quieted down the road noise, and keeps my loud stereo very well contained inside the truck.
    Here is a pic of how I installed it:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I used a breakaway knife for cutting and the back of a screwdriver handle to push it down. Was pretty simple. Watch a couple youtube videos on this process if unsure. It is easy so long as you figure out how to take the panels off.

7. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    What he said. OP, what you're looking for is sound deadener. Dynamat, RaamMat, FatMat, and all the others are vibration deadeners. RaamMat sells a product called Ensolite, which is a sound deadener. This is what you want. You can buy it with an adhesive side so all you have to do is peel off the backing and stick it wherever you want. You can easily do this yourself. It'll go quicker with another person, but its not a requirement. Here's a how-to guide for buying and installing this stuff. And if you still have questions about, you can email or call the guys at RaamMat: jason@raamaudio.com; Jason: 619-300-8265; Rick: 801-829-4997.

Products Discussed in

To Top