1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 DC 4X4 TRD Dream Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by local523, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jan 7, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    local523

local523 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Crew Cab 4X4 TRD
    King coilovers on Camburg UCAs and Icon rear res shocks. Icon AAL with extended shackles. Icon Alpha 17" rims, BPV, Extended rear brake line. Front diff drop. Pioneer 2440 NEX head unit, Jenson amp, Gorilla sub amp, Polk component speakers, sub box, RAAMmat, Ensolite all around, ARB front bumper, Relentless Fabrications rear bumper, Icon Snugtop shell, pinch weld mod, deckplate mod, AFE air fliter, 1.5" wheel spacers, ditch lights, rear bumper lights, Tundra brake upgrade, homemade sliding anti-sway bar disconnects
    First off, a big thanks to all who have ever contributed to this site. The amount of corporate knowledge is vast and overwhelming. I’ve been actively reading posts on the site for the past 2 years but didn’t join until recently. Basically every question I ever had about my Taco had already been answered, so I never needed to post anything until recently. This post covers my build. It doesn’t cover any new ground, but just details the parts and process of building up my 2004 4X4 Double Cab TRD. Hopefully someone will read this and pull some useful information out of it for their own build.
    IMG_20131230_161919.jpg

Back in 1999 I bought the first compact crew cab that was available in the U.S., a Nissan Frontier. It was a great truck but I had truck envy a year later when Toyota debuted their double cab. I eventually sold the Frontier and downsized to Civics for the better part of a decade while I changed careers and money was tight (and I cared about things like gas mileage). I knew one day that I’d be back in a 4-door pick-up, and that it would probably be a first generation Tacoma. As my wife says, “Guys should drive Trucks.” I couldn’t disappoint her, now could I?

My last experience with a Toyota was my 1986 X-Cab 4X4. It was gutless, but I beat on that thing and it never complained. Talk about an indestructible truck! I eventually sold it to help fund the Frontier.
    Back to the present – I spent 4 months looking for a low mileage Tacoma. The search was nationwide and I eventually found one in Sacramento, CA. It had 52,000k miles on it when I picked it up at the dealer in 2011. The frame rust issue has always been a concern since it spent 5 years in Jersey, but it’s been given a clean bill of health (so far).

IMG_2997.jpg

Upgrades were far and few between during the first year, but the stock CD player had to go immediately.

First round:
    Sony DSX-X300BTX
    Polk DB6501 Component System
    Polk DB651s
    Jensen 400.2 amp
    Gorilla GLA1-1000
    Pioneer 12” shallow mount sub in enclosure
    RAAMmat/Ensolite in all doors, kicker panels and behind passenger seat
    Clifford paging alarm system
    040312142512.jpg

040112140332.jpg

040112134844.jpg

The forums were indispensable for installation hints and dash tear down. I found a sub enclosure that fit nicely behind the rear seat, though it’s the minimum cu ft. required for the sub. The RAAMmat/Ensolite was install was quite a task, but the reduction in road noise was noticeable. When I get motivated again I’ll probably do the floor.

Over the next year the mods were sparse. I added a shell from Craigslist and did the deckplate mod for S&G’s

It was time to replace the stock coilover and shocks this year.

IMG_3000.jpg

The housings were literally falling (rusting) off the rear shocks from its time in Jersey, so instead of just buying new shock I decided it was time to go big.

Second Round:
    Icon Front coilovers and rear shocks
    Icon rear shocks
    Icon AAL
    ProComp Baja style wheels with new lug nuts
    BF Goodrich A/T 285/75/16
    AFE air filter
    BPV bracket
    Rear brake line extension
    Front diff drop

IMG_20131226_164522.jpg

A good friend (and mechanic) spent 6 hours installing everything while I assisted. A few of the top bolts of the old coilovers were frozen and had to be cut off with the grinder. The new coilovers went on without incident. They came set up for 2 inches of lift and we gave them an additional 6-8 turns to get another ¾ of an inch, just below the maximum recommended exposed thread of 2 1/8 inches.

IMG_3008.jpg

We did the diff drop kit next. I’m not sure how much of a difference this really made, but at $30, it was a no-brainer while we were installing everything else. The kit also included spacers for the rear plate of the front skid plate. We had to enlarge the rearmost holes of the rear plate to get the bolts to line up. I ordered new CV boot clamps this week and will be installing them shortly to resemble something close to the “CV Boot Mod” found on this site.

IMG_3014.jpg

Next up was the Icon AAL which advertises 1.5” of lift. I got closer to 1”, most likely due to the weight of the shell on the back of the truck. The AAL is actually 3 leafs that replace the stock overload leaf. A couple of the old U-bolts were rusted on pretty good and had to be cut off with the grinder. Installation was pretty straight forward and we put the rear shocks on at the same time.
    IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

We installed the rear BPV (purchased from Toytec) at the same time, based upon other Tacoma drivers input of the rear brakes disappearing after the lift. We gave the bracket a bit of a dog-leg bend to get it to fit correctly. In hindsight I would have purchased the bracket made by forum member JLee as it’s shape doesn’t appear to require any bending and the bolt hole options for different size lifts is more extensive. The rear brake line extension was added at the same time. This was recommended for more aggressive off-roading, which doesn’t apply to me at this point, but who knows what the future holds.
    IMG_20131231_121258.jpg

IMG_20131231_121320.jpg

After a trip to the alignment bay we were done. The rack and pinion bolts were frozen and had to be torched for 5 minutes before they could be moved.

When all was said and done, I added 2.5” of lift in the front and 1” in back. I went from 265/70 to 285/75 tires. I initially didn’t have any rubbing issues. The next weekend my 1.5” spacers arrived and I decided to give back a bit of the lift we added with the 6-8 turns on the coilovers.

IMG_20140104_151327.jpg

They were adjusted back down to the preset height and that’s when the rubbing started. I had already done the pinch weld mod in anticipation of the lift, but I was still getting a bit of interference on the rear end of the fender flare and corner of the front bumper. I decided to crank the front end back up to minimize the fender trimming. While adjusting the second coilover, one end of the Icon spanner wrench snapped off.

IMG_20140105_191147.jpg

After a trip to the hardware store for the purchase of a 1” X 10” anodized pipe (breaker bar), I was back in business and completed lifting the front end. With the aid of a Dremel tool and a hammer, I was able to trim and bend things out of the way.

Handling has improved immensely. The truck corners with much more confidence and very little roll. Hitting the bumps, the truck rebounds and stabilizes immediately.

If I had to do it over again, I probably would have passed on the wheel spacers to avoid cutting and bending things up front since I’m the kind of guy that’s always worrying about resale value, but this is the dream truck so I have no intention of selling.

IMG_20131230_161919.jpg

It’s at about 75k miles now. Next up is spark plug and wire replacement and a Seafoam treatment.

IMG_3024.jpg

2. Jan 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    awesome build so far, it is still my dream to find a first gen double cab that is still mint and build it up.

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM
    local523

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Crew Cab 4X4 TRD
    King coilovers on Camburg UCAs and Icon rear res shocks. Icon AAL with extended shackles. Icon Alpha 17" rims, BPV, Extended rear brake line. Front diff drop. Pioneer 2440 NEX head unit, Jenson amp, Gorilla sub amp, Polk component speakers, sub box, RAAMmat, Ensolite all around, ARB front bumper, Relentless Fabrications rear bumper, Icon Snugtop shell, pinch weld mod, deckplate mod, AFE air fliter, 1.5" wheel spacers, ditch lights, rear bumper lights, Tundra brake upgrade, homemade sliding anti-sway bar disconnects
    The insane part is that when I bought it 2 years ago with 52k miles it still Blue Booked for 23k! They hold their value like crazy.

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    ICON/TC TRD Supercharger URD 2.2 and 7th
    Awesome build! Next is UCAs ;)

5. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    Camps

Camps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD DC
    Fox, BR6, BAMF, SSO...
    Nice looking rig Jeff! Sliders?

6. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    local523

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Crew Cab 4X4 TRD
    UCAs. Just gotta save up a bit more...

Did the Seafoam treatment today and had a great time smoking everyone out.

7. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    local523

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Crew Cab 4X4 TRD
    Sliders are in the future. Gotta find the right set. Any suggestions?

8. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    2stroketrush

2stroketrush Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler Addison Rush
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    Built 97 ExtraCab
    Overland Purpose Built 97 going on 190K.
    Looks great man! V6? Gotta get some Armor on her!

9. Jan 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    03TacoDblCab

03TacoDblCab Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.T.
    Keizer, OR
    Vehicle:
    2003 Silver Tacoma Double Cab
    Factory FJ Cruiser Wheels painted black, Kenwood double din, husky floor liners, an many more to come...
    Very nice looking truck, I own more or less it's twin minus the lift. How does that sub sound in that small airspace box? I was curious cause I had a sub in some of my other vehicles and miss it now.

10. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    local523

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Crew Cab 4X4 TRD
    The sub is decent. The box is the minimum cu. ft. recommended for the Pioneer 12" shallow mount and I had to remove some material from the box with a Dremel to get the speaker to fit. I'm a metalhead, so it fills out the bottom end nicely but doesn't thump. I wanted something that was out of sight and also allowed me to keep the spare tire tools behind the seat. It's a tight fit with the RAAMmat back there, but it works great. There are very few choices for the 01-04 and it's either this one or the dual 8"s. I think the dual 8"s take up the entire space behind the seat. I just noticed that the links for Car Audio Factory appear dead now.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20140112_074632[1].jpg

11. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    tylershane17

tylershane17 Back to Back World War Champions

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northwest Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Brushguard, Lift.
    That is one sexy taco

12. Apr 6, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    jakecohen37

jakecohen37 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Flatbed
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...l#post10106457
    nice build so far man, keep up the good work, shes beautiful

13. Apr 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    Kotayota

Kotayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC
    Bilstein/Eibach combo, 1.5 rear shackles, 33/12.5/15 Duratracs wrapped around MT Classic IIIs, flowmaster 40, K&N intake, 4way pioneer speakers, mini d2s headlight retrofit, satoshi grill, interior leds
    This may sound stupid... But do you think if you bought two of those boxes you could put one behind the other seat without too much modification?

14. May 1, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    local523

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Crew Cab 4X4 TRD
    Probably not. The 10" box takes up about 3/5 of the back wall and has specific cutouts for the driver's side on the bottom, back, and top of the box. The passenger side of the cab has the jack bracket so you'd either have to relocate the jack and grind out the brackets or relocate the jack and make cutouts in the box. Neither option sounds fun unless you've got the skills...I don't:)

15. May 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    Kotayota

Kotayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC
    Bilstein/Eibach combo, 1.5 rear shackles, 33/12.5/15 Duratracs wrapped around MT Classic IIIs, flowmaster 40, K&N intake, 4way pioneer speakers, mini d2s headlight retrofit, satoshi grill, interior leds
    Okay thanks. And I'm the type of person who thinks they have the skills to do that kind of project.... Then soon realize it isn't gonna turn out well half way in :facepalm:

Products Discussed in

To Top