1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need suggestions for a good torque wrench!?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by DannyD, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    DannyD

DannyD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    I'm a industrial mechanic Apprentice, plan on doing all maintenance and as much repair that's within my skills on my 2012 tacoma. Just starting to build a set of tools together for work and personal use. I try to buy the best tools for there respective category. Klein for screwdrivers, Bondhus for hex keys, mitutoyo for measuring, Snap on for ratchets and open end wrenches and so on.

For a quality torque wrench I'm either thinking a mitutoyo or Snap on. Mitutoyo being slightly cheaper. But I'm curious how reliable are the cheap versions out there. Can I spend 50$ and rely on it to be accurate for the odd home use?

Oh and what's the highest torque value I might come across on my Tacoma. Would 150 be enough or do I need a 250 wrench, wish Toyota still made Fucken service manuals, still haven't set up the time to save all the online stuff. What a headache that's goona be

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Jan 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I have 2 blue point torque wrenches. Made by snap on and they come calibrated so at least you know they are accurate. I use them a fair amount and like them.

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    DannyD

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    I've been looking Into blue point and CDI aswell. They tend to be good quality for the value. Sounds like the torque wrench itself of Snap on is made by CDI. Just with a snap on head attached

4. Jan 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    DannyD

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    Went with this CDI Torque wrench 20-150 ft/lbs http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00461ATL4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CDI makes the torque components for both snap on and blue point. All the same stuff. At 130$ on Amazon, 170$ after exchange rate, tax and shipping to canada. Its cheaper then mastercraft one at canadian tire. and half the price as the same wrench from a local dealer who quoted me 300$ before tax. Good deal if you ask me. I expect the odd spec above 150 on my truck but this should be good for most, I hope lol.

Soon as it arrives I gotta track down this popping noise in my front end, dealer blamed hardened mud stuck "in my frame and above my skid plate", i call BS on that but ill clean it more and go from there.

5. Jan 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Yep, mine says CDI on it too, and they did the calibration. Good stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top