1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing shells/caps often - reusable seal?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beedoola, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Jan 10, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    I have a shell/cap/top on my taco and I plan on doing some work for family and friends that would require removing the shell for more room in the bed.

The shell currently has some foamy type strip between the bed rail and the shell. This stuff was on the shell when I got it - I bought the shell off a guy on craigslist.

I imagine the stuff will loose its durability/functionality if I remove and reattach the shell a few more times, and certainly won't last if the process of removing and reattaching is practiced often. I need the shell on for when I transport my music gear and if I'm working doing painting or construction and bringing tools with me, so leaving it off permanently isn't an option.

I wanted to know if A.) is it really even necessary to have something in between the bed rails and shell to begin with? Is its purpose to protect against water, and other elements?

If so; B.) are there any products out there that can be reused over and over again and still work? If so, please share some info.

Thanks.

2. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    johnboyTRD

johnboyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    I would definitely keep a seal on there, it's like closing any of the main doors without a seal :) no bueno.

I took off the shell once , and it pulled up the corner - I simply added matrial where needed and bridged the gap with marine sealant from hd. Super easy. Getting the shell off was more of a challenge...

3. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    Jiveydude

Jiveydude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    OH
    Vehicle:
    04Taco
    stuff and things that make it better
    Yes, you need the foam tape between the shell and the bed. It keeps the elements out and dampens the vibrations to the fiberglass. Think of it as shocks for your topper. Its supper cheap too, so just inspect it each time you take off/replace your shell, if it's looking flattened or ripped, change it out. I've taken my topper off probably 12 times since April, and I'm still using the same tape. Just don't tighten the clamps down too much. ;)

By the way, Bill Hicks rocks!

4. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    Thanks y'all.

Ya, Hicks was something else. It is truly a shame he passed so soon.

Cool, I'll buy some of the stuff - and I'll take her easy on the clamps.

5. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    jdkilroy

jdkilroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    I use some of the sealed foam ribbon that is used to seal the bottom of garage doors. It's intended to get squished many times and still be functional.

Few bucks for a roll and the hardware store usually has it.

6. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    johnboyTRD

johnboyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    Good idea... May just do that next time.

Products Discussed in

To Top