1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding horns, can I install a beefier stock relay?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by keninsb, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Jan 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    keninsb

keninsb [OP] "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I am adding some horns to my 2013 Taco and was wondering if I could replace the OEM 10 amp horn relay with a 30 amp or if I need to install a new relay elsewhere? If the wires in the horn circuit are large enough, it seems like you could just install a 30 amp relay in place of the stock 10 amp. If the circuit is overloaded then I would think that it would just blow the 10 amp fuse, right?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks guys,
    Ken

2. Jan 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Are you looking to beef up the sound/db's of the horn?

I had to order these from Japan, because its JDM only, but they sound like a cross between an old Caddy and a Ferrari. Gets the offending vehicle's attention every time.
    I didn't want to change out my wiring or other electrical components.

Toyota Premium Sports Horn
    PN# 08522-52020

[​IMG]

I can confirm these work on our Tacomas with no modifications. They do give you a short grounding wire between the two horns, and that it is a tight stretch, but that was the only problem I had.

3. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    To be safe, I'd run a separate relay with its own wires. Typically, if Toyota used a 10 amp relay, the wiring probably isn't rated for too much more.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  4. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    Nice. If you don't mind me asking, where did you order them from and how much they go for? I'm looking for something a little more than the the factory horns, but don't need a train horn or anything.

5. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    There was an independent guy from Japan that had a bunch of JDM only parts direct from the manufacturers. I don't remember how much I paid, but it was around $65 before shipping. I found him on eBay, but that was 5 years ago now. You should be able to just put in Toyota Premium Sport Horn or something similar into the search bar. I took that part number directly off the box, which is still in my tool box with my OEM horns.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    doghair

doghair Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 Single Cab 4x4
    I put a wolo on and it said no relay was needed. It was ok for toots but I leaned on it one day when I got cut off and it blew the 10A. I now use the factory horn wire to trigger an added 30A relay, problem gone.

7. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I bought a Stebel Nautilus Compact horn and also have two Fiamm Freeway Blaster (high and low tone) horns that I am installing as well. I was thinking that I might be able to get away with the OEM wiring setup with a beefed up relay short term while I am building some fuse/relay boxes like THESE. I was just hoping to get them off the work bench before I start the next project, I am still waiting for a few part for the relay/fuse box build. I got in on a group buy for the Stebel "Big Daddy" horns and they are basically the compact nautilus with one other horn (can't remember which is high and which is low note) and they were SUPER loud and worked great.
    Boy, I really like those JDM horns. I may see if I can scrounge some of those up and return the FIAMM horns :) I found a couple of site that have them unfortunately I do not read or speak Japanese or Russian!
    Looks like I may just run a temporary remote relay (the one that came with the Stebel). Thanks again guys.
    Ken

8. Jan 12, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I just looked up the part number for the Toyota JDM Premium horns and could not find them anywhere. Then I searched for "Toyota premium horn" on eBay and a whole bunch showed up. Unfortunately they all ship from Japan. The other thing that I noticed was that the max decibel output of the JDM horns was 93-112db. The FIAMM horns that I have are 130db, so I may stick with those after all. I will probably also use the OEM horns in addition so there will be five horns. I did this before on my '08 Tundra and believe me, heads turned.
    Oh, HERE is a link comparing the stock horns to the JDM Premium horns.
    Anyway, thanks again guys.
    Ken

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top