1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Colorado with a Prerunner, have some ?'s

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cflks411, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jan 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    You should be able to get by just fine with snow tires and some weight like everyone said. I used to drive in upstate NY with a rear wheel drive '83 Cutlas in the winter when I was in high school and I survived.....living on a hill even.

If you really want to enjoy winter driving though, I'd look around and see if you can find a 4x4 Tacoma you can trade for, if your budget allows.

2. Jan 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Yes, a 4x4 Tacoma in the snow gives me a child-like sense of joy and complete spiritual fulfillment. 16 mpg is worth it!

3. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Same here, even in Texas! lol

4. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert

Getting there with a 5-lug give a similar fulfillment. :yay:

5. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4x4 Silver Sky
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    I'll chime in with the rest:

Get a set of stock steelies (or alloys if you can find them cheap) and have good snow tires mounted. In mid November mount them up, then in mid April take them off. (This is what we do with our honda fit.) Put a couple of sandbags over the rear axle. Don't brake or accelerate in turns, take it slow until you get the feel for how the truck handles in snow, and you'll be fine.

6. Jan 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    W Bishop

W Bishop Stupid should be painful!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stone
    South Fulton Tn
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4X4 Reg Cab
    ToyTec coil over kit, Sliver Coils, Bilstein 5100 front & rear, Light Racing SPC UCA. Painted to match Coils, OEM Tacoma 4 leaf pack, Undercover, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Painted grill surround, FJ Cruiser Trail 17" wheels, Rubber bed mat, fog lights and sliders.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/StatePatrol-Main/CBON/1251594537897

Not lived In Colorado for a lot of years but was there in 69 thru 81 I do remember what was happing back then and looks to me they still have an option to do so. The last time I came across 70 going east out of Utah 2006 they had the chain law in effect.

7. Jan 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    In the 5 years I've lived here I've never had to use chains, the chain days I've seen have been for commercial vehicles only though passenger cars can use them whenever they want too.

Personally I run all-seasons and with AWD (last car) or 4x4 I never have any problems but I did grow up in the frozen lands of Michigan. The number one thing out here is there are a lot of transplants from warmer states who don't know how to drive in the snow so they are more of a threat than just snow/ice.

8. Jan 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I grew up in Colorado, back when 4WD was virtually unheard of. Folks got along well with their rwd cars and trucks. Just follow the above advice regarding weight, chains, and cautious driving and you will do fine.

9. Jan 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:

Yep, 4wd was almost non-existent when I started driving 35 years ago in WI, then IA and now CO with nothing but rwd.

10. Jan 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    voodoojk

voodoojk Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's pretty rare to say the least. It's never happened since I lived here and I drove to Denver almost every weekend over both passes. We had chain law in effect since Wednesday but starting in vail but it's only CMV.

11. Jan 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    cflks411

cflks411 [OP] I like turtlessss

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Ft Hood
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner
    AFE Cold Air. AFE Cat Back Spyder 1.5" Wheel Spacers
    I appreciate all the responses. Im definitely going to explore. Whats the point in living next to mountains and never going into them haha. Im looking at some 4x4/4wd for m wife. She may end up with a 1st gen, unfortunately she likes tacomas also so I cant get off cheap lol. Being in the army sand bags will be too easy to find. Thanks again guys!

12. Jan 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:

There are things called trailheads were you park and then hike further into the mountains on foot. The best places can only be found by getting out of your vehicle and leave it miles behind.

13. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
  14. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
    I'm in the CSprings area right now. Colorado weather is ridiculous. Good set of tires and some weight in the back like everybody else has said. Most importantly though is the driver. Easy on the skinny pedal and make sure you look ahead further than you normally would because you might not be able to stop as quickly to make that turn or avoid someone/something. Also don't freak out if you start sliding. Stay calm and easy up on the gas or brakes if you're on them. Good luck!

15. Jan 12, 2014 at 9:10 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    On my old 2wd taco I would put 4 bags of sand and 4 bags of pea gravel. And with blizzack tires the thing was unstoppable in the snow. And if you do get stuck the sand or gravel work great for traction.

16. Jan 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    i dont think i would ever call a 2wd unstoppable...but hey just my opinion

17. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Serious you would be surprised what 8 bags of sand/gravel weight and blizzak tires can do. But I am just talking about snowy roads not off roading.;)

18. Jan 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fact is no vehicle is unstoppable, even the incredible 4wd Tacoma. ;)

19. Jan 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    HolyReptar

HolyReptar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bry
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Some Bolt ones here and there
    I lived in Boulder for a number of years and spent a lot of time in the springs. Just like everyone said sand bags / gravel bags plus a good set of snow tires. Don't drive like an ass, pay attention to whats around you, and go easy on the accelerator and the brake. You should be fine but living in Colorado I would say see if you can get a trade in of some sort of a 4x4 because the trails out there are beautiful =D

Just be careful out there and you'll be fine.

20. Jan 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM
    05TacoSr5

05TacoSr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    Gone but not forgotten
    I was in Colorado Springs with my 05 5 Lug. Had a set of BFG ATs year round with cables for just in case. Never once got stuck, even with living on USAFA. Even in stalled a nice set of Bilsteins as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top