1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vacation bound...need more space!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Jul 27, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    What are my options for carrying more stuff to the beach next month?

I have a doublecab with a car seat on one side of the back seat. I have a tonneau cover but there is not enough room under it. If I don't use the tonneau, I have plenty of room but it's all exposed to the elements.

Roof rack?
    Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier?
    Cargo bag on roof?
    ???

Wish there was a rack I could put OVER my tonneau to haul beach chairs and other things?

Any ideas?

2. Jul 27, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    what about one of those hitch baskets, u always see coolers/beach chairs in them...

3. Jul 27, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Hitch basket is probably the best best. Get a travel bag or even put stuff in a garbage bag to protect it.

Roof rack would work...but hurts mpg and for stuff like beach chairs I'm sure it'd be a pain in the ass to tie them up there.

I tried to think of a way to mount a rack over the tonneau...but it would involve cutting into the cover any way I could think of it.

4. Jul 27, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I'm leaning toward the hitch carrier but I'm not sure of the weight limit of our hitches.

They are rated for 500# but I don't think our hitches are rated that high.

I don't think our roofs are rated for much weight either. If I put on the roof rail system, I could use a cargo bag with suitcases in it or something. But this is more expensive and holds less wt. than the hitch carrier.
    But I like the look of the roof racks on red trucks!

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There is probably info somewhere in the owners manual about the roof. I know my mom's CR-V could only take about 70 lbs.

If you have the tow package then your hitch has to be able to take about 650 lbs (approx tongue weight). Without the tow package...Not sure.

6. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    How about a little utility trailer? 4' X 6' is probably same price as the hitch stuff carrier. Build a bunch of plywood lockable compartments on it, coat with truck box liner to keep out the water and spray to colour match your truck. Next time you're off camping, everything is already in it ready to go.

7. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    rangerpeterson has a bad ass set up. he put a yakima rack over his tonneau cover and put only of those load warrior racks on top. Its so sick. I wish i had pictures of it. but its definately the best looking set up.

8. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Factory roof rack with with Yakima bars attached and an 18cf Skybox....The Yakima bars aren't required for the box because it's designed for factory roof racks.Not a set-up I would run very often because we usually vacation in our van.I also love the looks of the LoadWarriors up there.:cool:

[​IMG]

9. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    u could always get a cap, some of the ones ive seen on here dont look bad at all

10. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    I would go with the hitch hauler. I'm in the same situation with a car seat on one side and not enough room for camping gear. I use a hitch hauler when i go camping and i usaully put around 300lbs on it alone. I have the tow package but most any 2" reciver is rated for at least 300lbs.

11. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    why dont you just get a cap to replace your tonneau?

12. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  13. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Go with the hitch haul, it works great and can easily be taken off when not needed, I just took a trip in my 4-runner with it completely loaded a luggage carrier on top and a hitch haul, it was much easier looking for items @ a stop w/o climbing up top to look in carrier.

14. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I considered it but, at that price, it wouldn't be capable of long distance travel (10+ hour drive). Plus we usually drive 80+mph and the trailer is not safe at those speeds.

I would love to see pictures of that set up. I hate the wasted space above the tonneau.

Great setup. I do like the look of that Loadwarrier. Can you fit a lot in it? It seems like an awkward size. We used to use a hard plastic clam on my long family vacations and we always had trouble packing it tight (lots of wasted space).

Too expensive and I wouldn't use it that much. I too have seen great caps but storing it when not using it would suck. And I wouldn't want it on there all the time because I haul my dirt bike a lot.

Many are rated for 500#. The one I am looking at is rated for 600# and looks very strong:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-CC2~59502.htm

[​IMG]

15. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    gotcha...i would recommend the hitch hauler thing then. last summer when i still had my 4runner i had one to haul a pressure washer, gas can and hoses on one everyday for work and it had no problem handling that weight.

16. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Concur with Vecc- I want photos of this in action if at all possible!!

Products Discussed in

To Top