1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is everyone pushing for a re design?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tuck91, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    [​IMG]

You were saying?

2. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    :confused:

he says they're not bulletproof.... and you post a pic of one riddled with bulletholes to contradict him?

3. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert

I think we agree?

4. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    BDBSoCal

BDBSoCal The Safety Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2008 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just starting...
    The new Lexus has some neat blind-spot sonar and a little indicator when a vehicle is there. With the limited visibility of a truck cap, I really like this feature. If I could get the Lexus back-up camera system with it, it would almost be worth a new truck.

I do think that engine technology has also improved, and a Toyota version of the EcoBoost engine would be really nice to have also. I forget that my Accord has the cylinder-cancelling technology until I drive an entire tank on the freeway and get 400 miles out of it. The Tacoma V6 is less powerful and I get maybe 250 miles, 300 miles on an all-freeway trip. They are both 2008 model years. Granted, the Accord has an aerodynamic advantage.

That said, the Tacoma is not a daily driver, and maybe the right choice is to keep this for off road, and at some point in the future a Toyota product with all the goodies to stay on pavement.

5. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    Ford's new 2.7L twin turbo cast iron block ecoboost has me curious.

High boost is always fun if done right, and could be very fun if Ford ever released another Ranger.

Unfortunately, a 2.7L in a 4800 pound truck (new F150's are 700 pounds lighter) still might not be enough. And usually high boost = lots of turbo lag, but hell I give them credit for trying, which is more than Toyota is doing.

6. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    beatupford

beatupford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4x4
    If the lexus NX ends up having a 2.0 turbo, it could end up in a Tacoma. The current 2.0 in the escape provides 3500# of towing capacity when properly equipped. That could be enough for the 4 banger replacement especially if it provides the pickup for a little fun. If I need to tow anything, I always borrow them my dad's F250 anyway.

7. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    TR90125

TR90125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Bone stock for now....
    Not sure how this story quantifies the claim that the Tacoma doesn't have a strong profit margin.

8. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    This... Of course there are more problems with the new tacos they have so many more electronic systems and other tid bits than the 1st gen.

More complicated=less reliable 100% of the time. Once you start adding a whole bunch of new shit to the vehicle it is going to be less reliable that is a fact of life.

9. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    beatupford

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4x4
    The trucks come off the same line. It's a zero sum game. For every 30k Tacoma that rolls off, a 45-60k Tundra can't. When you allocate resources (in this case labor hours) you have a budget. Now consider the raw materials needed for a Tacoma vs Tundra. Do you believe it's in the 15k range? I was being generous and giving a higher priced taco. What if it's a 20k taco? A base Tundra is still more for about the same in material and the EXACT same in labor.

Even if Ford's rationale weren't telling, the shared assembly line should be enough to illustrate the Tundra will always make more than the Taco when similarly equipped and the Taco doesn't have any luxury packages that compete with the Platinum or 1794 Tundras.

Now, when you take Ford's info and consider the truck was tested here in the states and intended to be a global vehicle, consider that all of the R&D for a North American Ranger is already paid for outside maybe some safety features for NHTSA. The wouldn't have to develop any engines, especially with the 2.7 ecoboost in the new F150.

Ford looked at potential profits on the Ranger and even with everything already paid for their bean counters said, why don't we just sell more F150s.

Finally, ask yourself this, if Toyota could put your ass in a Tundra over a Tacoma, would they? Of course they would. The Tundra was supposed to be what first time Toyota Tacoma owners were supposed to upgrade to when the time came. Just like Corolla owners are supposed to get Camries and then jump to a Lexus when their making real money. The problem is us assholes didn't play along like the accountants said we would because we love our Tacomas.

10. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    It's not a zero sum game at all. That would only be true if the Taco/Tundra were the only 2 vehicles on the market. I would never buy a Tundra and I know a lot of people on this site don't like them either.

The reason ford ditched the ranger was because from 1999 to 2010 the sales of the ranger nose dived from 350,000 a year to 55,000. The ranger was good for what it was, an econobox with a bed but no one wants that any more. Everyone wants more and more features and the ranger was not a good platform for that.

11. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    TR90125

TR90125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Bone stock for now....
    Ok, that makes sense, but how does research and development factor into it? They were making the Tacoma long before the Tundra and don't appear to spend a whole lot of r&d money on the Tacoma.

Last but not least, the Tacoma is the fourth largest selling pickup behind ford, Chevy and dodge, even outselling the Sierra. I'm only one Tacoma owner, but if Toyota dropped the Tacoma, I back to driving a domestic full size. I just think we are short changing the Tacoma's profitability. Even if the Tundra is more profitable, I still don't think dumping the Tacoma would net the same or even more profit through increased Tundra sales. If it were that easy the Tacoma would have already been eliminated. And while building a Tacoma is one less Tundra rolling off the same line, based on dealer inventory and average incentive levels, Toyota doesn't seem to be struggling with Tundra production. Why not share the production line with a model that sells.

I guess I'd just like to see some real numbers. Even if the Tacoma is only half as profitable as the Tundra, it damn near makes up for it in volume.

12. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Eh...I scattered a few 20R's, two 22RE's, lots of small block chevies and a big block... and somehow this 1GR-FE has lasted me longer than the last five Toyota engines I have owned combined. Granted I pulled those old 22re's in an apartment parking lot and rebuilt them with basic hand tools while the new motors are disposable, but still....they are way more reliable than older more simple motors.

13. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    beatupford

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4x4
    I'm speaking specifically about production off the same line.

14. Jan 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    Square

Square Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4WD MGM
    Not exactly. My '05 Wrangler is pretty basic and isn't all that reliable. Quality parts and solid engineering make reliable vehicles. 62k miles on my Jeep and I've already had to replace: entire cooling system (even the radiator after the plastic blew out), all O2 sensors, entire suspension and steering components (all rubber bits were shot), wheel hubs, front right brake caliper and the gauge cluster. I'm also certain I have to replace my IAC because it sucks at keeping an idle.

15. Jan 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM
    elguapotaco

elguapotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OR
    I'd be willing to bet money that the new Tacoma will have enough of a bump in payload/towing stats to seem like an improvement and a 1GR with dual VVT. Other than that, I predict it will be new body panels, more options, and a slightly less 90s-looking interior.

16. Jan 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Shitty engineering makes these problems even worse.

Let's compare some normal glasses vs google glasses. The glasses are really simple, 2 hinges, 2 ear pieces 2 lenses. Google glass has this and incredibly complicated programs to make it run (maybe millions of lines of code just for the operating system not mention other programs), it needs a wifi connection (requires a national networking) , it has a camera, a projector (both of these probably have 100s of parts too). A really extreme example but it conveys the point that more things mean more possible problems.

There is obviously a trade off between added functionality and added complexity and there is a happy medium. I think the taco is at that point now. Look at how they bundle packages now TRD models will have a fuck ton of things most people don't want and it will jack the price way up.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  17. Jan 20, 2014 at 12:22 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    My 2014's interior looks nice and relatively modern. I sat in an older 2007/8 taco and was surprised how different the interior was. TBH the much nicer and more modern interior was why I chose to spend $8k more and get the taco over a Frontier.

Beyond that I appreciate that my truck has had 9 years of development and getting the kinks out. I don't expect it to be perfect but there's something to be said for buying a mature platform; as much as there is when buying the latest and greatest.

18. Jan 20, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 taco Barclona Red
    beather mod Bugsheild backup light mod egr vent
    seems Xaks have a mental bockage in his mind.. need to send him to the ER to flush that blockage.
    Everybody have it own right to have an automatic or standard. also they must understand that taco have its own flaws ( most flaws are taken care by mods and some dont). As the person gets older.. more prefers to auto than standard.. dont ask how I know.
    True the taco is long overdue for a MINOR change.Most of us dont care for the major change like the Ford is doing. The minor things like: improve motor for better gas mileage and add a desiel to the market, more stuff such as heated mirrors ( right OZ?) also they need to weed out the flaws they having for the past few yrs such as drive line vibe. etc.
    So.. far as your inpatiace attudie.. you need to learn to be more patiance.. learn my grasshopper.

19. Jan 20, 2014 at 6:46 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I'm happy with mine. I like the way it looks and could really care less if they change the style. I like the interior, exterior, and a bulletproof engine. Sure, the basic design is the same for the last 10 years but IMO still looks better than most of the trucks on the market right now. It is the right size for me and fits my needs perfectly.

I'm personally in no rush for a redesign.

Carry on with the fighting.:rolleyes:

20. Jan 20, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    Joshua

Joshua Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 V6 TRD off-road 4X4 Silver Doublecab
    This rendering/shop has stuck out to me the most.
    2012TACO-1_824baa6dff9e1795c97135a2ee2a1a8bf7535968.jpg

4runner vibe aside, i think if they added elements of the Tacoma, such as a flatter hood/front end section, maybe bigger optional colormatched fenders, possibly smaller windows could look cool, and a cool tailgate like the new tundras. Plus this seems to have a bigger crew cab. I wouldn't mind a more squared-out taco.

Products Discussed in

To Top