1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whistling Noise in Crosswinds At Highway Speed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gunlobbyist, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Jan 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    gunlobbyist

gunlobbyist [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD 8500 miles.

I have a terrible whistling noise when I drive in a crosswind at highway speeds. It sounds like a horn or whining sound coming from the mirror area on the side of the truck that the wind is coming from. It was on the passenger side in a very heavy steady crosswind a week or so ago and today on the drivers side when the wind was coming in from that side.

Windows are closed, does not sound like seal leak or anything. Just high pitched whine near the mirrors. I folded in my mirror at speed and it stopped the folded it back out and it started again.

Suggestions?

Bearheat likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Hopefully it really is just your hood weatherstrip making the noise. Thread on this with extensive info. Usually ends up being 1 of 2 possibilities:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/189392-2012-whistling-sound-indentified.html

Either hood seal or windshield. If its the hood seal, all you need to do is slide some 1/4" drip line through all seals under the hood. 1 on top of grille, and 1 on top of each headlight and it should be all set. If it is the windshield then I think there was a TSB out for it but I could be wrong. My whistle was the seals.

Regulator7, siundon and TheSouth like this.
  3. Jan 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    cross wind noise like you describe is the windshield, take it to the dealer, they should reseal the windshield no questions asked just had my brand new 2013 windshield last week for the exact same issue that you described

The other noise is a faint whistling noise like the sound of a tea kettle starting to go off from across the house... that is the grill noise, which is very easy to fix and my truck also had that noise.

4. Jan 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    gunlobbyist

gunlobbyist [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja
    What caused the grill noise?

5. Jan 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM
    gunlobbyist

gunlobbyist [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja
    I will look into it. GD but it sounds like it's coming from the mirror.

tracker366 likes this.
  6. Jan 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    I had this the other day with all the north winds blowing in. Best I could tell mine seemed to be coming from the drivers door or perhaps the A pillar. It was hard to tell. Didn't sound like a whistle, more of a chatter, sort of like chalk makes on a chalk board. It only did it in the really big gusts.

optysite likes this.
  7. Jan 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    The soft gasket between the top of the grill and hood bends back at speed creating a gap and allows for the slight whistle.

The windshield noise sounds like the sound you made back when you were a kid and put a piece of grass between your hands and blew.... A harsh cuzzo sound... Believe me its the windshield that's the issue there is a tsb for it they will reseal it no questions asked.

TheSouth likes this.
  8. Jan 6, 2014 at 11:07 PM
    kamdawg

kamdawg Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kam
    Bay Area, CA
    I had the same issue last year on my 2013. I ended up taking it in to Toyota and they completely removed and resealed my windshield.

A couple weeks later the noise happened again during a crosswind... I paid super close attention this time and realized it was coming from the side mirrors. Air gets in there behind the mirror and somehow creates a really loud screeching noise. I not so legally busted out my phone out and recorded it for proof to Toyota since it will be nearly impossible to replicate during a service appointment. Video below.

I am planning on taking it back in again soon and see what they can do about the mirrors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gS4vM0OXo4

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  9. Jan 7, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    billinwoodland

billinwoodland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    N. Cal
    The noise I have in my 2014 access cab is more of a wind rushing sound and not the whistle.

10. Jan 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    You know... that is a very similar sounding noise to the one i had... i noticed that the mirrors themselfs are kind of loose on their motors... hmm maybe it wasnt my windshield... guess i gotta wait untill the next crosswind to find out.

11. Jan 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    gunlobbyist

gunlobbyist [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja
    That's exactly the noise!! Video recording it was brilliant!! Please let me know what they say.

shakerhood and Taco Fan like this.
  12. Jan 7, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    I've got the same thing happening on my 2013 in a strong cross or headwind. same exact sound too. Keep us updated. I'm going to bring it up next time im at the dealer for an oil change but am curious as to what the actual problem/fix is and what toyota says about it.

13. Jan 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    TexasJohn

TexasJohn New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 Red PreRunner SR5
    This thread is exactly why I joined Tacoma World. My salesman said he hadn't heard of the problem before but to have them check it out when I bring it in for the first service. I'm glad I found your posts so I can direct the service reps to see other people are having the same problem. With the wind tunnel testing they do in design it's amazing this could happen, but apparently from the posts it's an ongoing problem going back to the earliest of 2nd generation Tacoma.

14. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2012 White DCLB TRD Sport
    This is the EXACT noise I have. I also recorded it on my phone during the drive today. Thanks for posting.

15. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    It is kinda funny, the other day was the first time I have ever heard this noise on my truck, and I remembered reading this thread. It only lasted 5 minutes or so while driving into some substantial wind.

I am curious if it has anything to do with the way your mirrors are adjusted. I have mine adjusted to "contemporary" standards or whatever you want to call it, where you put your head to the driver side window and adjust just so you can barely see side of truck, and then align head over console and do the same for the passenger side. Maybe the angle of the mirror in the housing has a higher chance of making the whistle if they are only adjusted to be a 2nd and 3rd rear view mirror.

16. Jan 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Had this on all 3 of my Tacoma's (05, 11, 13) and had them change the windshield on my 05 and 11 if anything it made it worse so Im not having the windshield changed on my 13 its just a characteristic of the truck unfortunately

17. Jan 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    Edpsx

Edpsx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    13' Double Cab Limited MGM
    K&N Intake, Stainless Tube Steps, Pioneer 8500BHS, Coming Soon:, Morimoto H1 Mini, Viper 5704
    Mine did this exact same thing when I was traveling during some high winds. Im thinking of getting something to fill the gaps on the mirror to see if it stops. My guess would be that where it folds its getting too much wind in and causing this "whistle." Sounds like seals barking or something. First time it did it I thought I had left a window cracked or something was going on with my tonneau cover. Its much louder than what it sounds like in the video. Had to crank my stereo up to ignore it for 3 hours.

18. Jan 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    rolltyd

rolltyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Off Road 4x4 Hankook Dynapro ATM
    I have the exact same sound in crosswinds. But like somebody else stated it roars very loud. Scared the hell out of me and my wife asked if my tire was going flat. Hopefully someone gets this fixed.

19. Jan 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    testerdahl

testerdahl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Gering, NE
  20. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas