1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Time Post: "General" 1st Gen. Q's

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Naylor32, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Jan 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    Naylor32

Naylor32 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Visalia
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4X4 5speed
    ~
    There may be a thread for this but I'm new and sure you'll straighten me out.
    I just have some general questions about a few things going on with my pickup
    I have a 2003 Ext. Cab Manual 5Speed 3.4L V6

1.) I replace the rear quarter window plastic latch hinge with a billet one. after installing them it seemed like they didn't close as tightly as i remember, but my passenger side quarter window seems to hold fine but in the past week my driver side has sum how popped open 4 times. is there anything i can do to fix this?

2.) I got try truck 4 yrs ago and there has always been a high pitch "squeak" or wind that quiets when the clutch is pushed in but it is still there.
    (I have a buddy who has an auto with the same noise but has an auto who said it was a belt) just wanted to see what TW has to say before i replace the belts.

any advice or info is appreciated. thank you in advance

2. Jan 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM
    604YOTA

604YOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    Check the belts look for cracks and general wear... replace if need be.

As for the window latch thing I need to fix mine they are both toast...so I am of no help there

3. Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    Try bending very carefully the metal bracket that is bolted to truck behind the plastic, that you installed the new billet hinge to,bend it carefully towards the inside of the truck this should make your latch tighter. I had to do this on my 02 taco after replacing the plastic hinge pieces to the billet replacements. Note you should disconnect the hinges when you bend the metal latch to avoid breaking the assembly this worked on my taco both quarter windows shut tight hope the helps. What I meant by disconnecting the hinges is remove the roll pins that connect the billet hinges to the latch assembly then carefully bend the metal bracket. Good luck.

4. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM
    Naylor32

Naylor32 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Visalia
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4X4 5speed
    ~
    Pakrat.. i finally got around to jacking with my windows @ 11:30PM i disconnected everything, window still doesn't "latch" shut like it did before. i cant even remember how tight it was before but the outer cover doesn't make a full travel to pull the window all the way in. not sure what else to do. is a real PITA driving down the hight way or the pressure inside the cab change and have this thing randomly open up on me. thanks for the reply any other ideas or corrections to what i did is appreciated

604Yota.. I haven't got a chance to look under the hood but ill look at my belt next weekend thanks for the info

5. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:40 PM
    Naylor32

Naylor32 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Visalia
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4X4 5speed
    ~
    here is as far as the cover will travel

IMG_0264.jpg

6. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM
    Naylor32

Naylor32 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Visalia
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4X4 5speed
    ~
    HAHA never mind i was being a real puss when it came to bending that sucker back. i pulled it all the way back till it touched the top of the plastic hole it protrudes out of and now that thing really POPS when it locks. scared the crap out of me the first time :D thought i broke it!
    Thanks again!

7. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM
    Taco47

Taco47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2016 2TR 5-Speed
    i doubt your friends similar squeak from the belts are your culprit. you need to get under the truck while its squeaking and listen to narrow down the sound's location. it should be fairly easy to determine if its coming from the front of the engine or rear. my guess would be clutch related, specifically throw out bearing.

8. Jan 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM
    Naylor32

Naylor32 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Visalia
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4X4 5speed
    ~
    its definitely coming from the front it may be two different noises. could be the timing belt and clutch related. real high pitched when the cloth is not pressed in and then not quit as loud with it in but a weird noise is still present. school is reaming me this semester so hopefully i can take a look over the weekend. thanks for the advice

9. Jan 21, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I had to take a grinder to my billet piece. Reference with the original one or the one the fits. Take your time. Go slow and keep trying until it shuts.

10. Jan 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    CoryB

CoryB Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    I had a high pitch whine in the transmission in my '04 3.4 MT Taco. It was loudest with the clutch out and when driving in first through third gear. Fourth was completely quiet and fifth had just a bit of whine.

I had the bearings replaced - to the tune of over $1k - and that didn't fix it. I finally ended up replacing the transmission. Now it's quiet.

Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top