1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on 2013 purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by maru, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Jan 19, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    maru

maru [OP] Old Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Deeetroit
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Hello
    I've been hunting for a white dcsb trd sport prerunner and there's none around me. So I did a 500 mile radius search and found a few but they're at dealers. So i have to fly in and drive it home. (Fun) I was wondering what a reasonable offer would be. I know they for sure paid $5000 less than what it's listed for http://www.theluxuryautohaus.com/pictures/038793
    I've found a few very similar trucks at very similar prices at different dealers but I won't list them all. What's the best tactic you guys have used to get a good deal? or do they got me by the short hairs ?
    Thanks in advance

2. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I'd start with this and have some data (www.kbb.com or whatever) to back it up then make a deal based on a margin or profit. And hell, if you gotta fly to get it you've got other options. They've only got you by the shorthairs if you put yourself there....

3. Jan 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
  4. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Freedom

Freedom Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIMBO
    Bradenton Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4
    carmax.com
    good pics - good price - shipping possible

5. Jan 19, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    MSRP on a 2014 DCSB TRD Sport Prerunner configured the same as that truck is $28,840 according to a quick trip on Toyota's configuration tool. Sure, there might be more play in a used car, but still, you end up with one model year newer, and no prior owner.

Why not pay the extra $1,000 and buy new (all things equal)? Or, see what the best deal is through TrueCar.

Granted, if money is tight, it makes sense to go used. With the retail price of low mile used Tacomas, sometimes the extra piece of mind makes sense.

6. Jan 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    I personally was looking at used trucks but people want so freaking much for them I just went and bought new.

But back to the OP's question the best negotiating tactics I used were to basically get a list of dealerships that have the configuration of truck you want in stock on their lot, even if they're out of state. Then call over the phone and ask to speak to the internet sales manager or an internet sales rep and say I see you have <NewTruck01> and I'm willing to purchase it for $xx,xxx total out the door.

Usually you'll get a quick no but all it takes is one yes and you have a good price. Typically internet sales staff at dealers aren't paid on commission they're salaried so they just want to move units.

This is how I bought the last couple vehicles and saved about 10-20% beyond the little bit I was able to talk local dealership sales staff down in person. It easily pays for a fly-n-dive too.

7. Jan 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM
    The6pharaohs

The6pharaohs WTF just happened?

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Eagle Mountain Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Offroad with JBL premium tech package
    Upgraded from 2012 DCSB TRD Offroad Entune JBL w/nav
    I bought mine from one of the bigger dealerships around here and it took quite a bit of haggling to go down even a small amount. I went into the sale knowing that. The models around here disappear so fast.

8. Jan 20, 2014 at 3:23 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Save yourself the airline ticket. Ask them to bring the vehicle to you.

9. Jan 20, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    Metzbower

Metzbower Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4WD long bed
    In NC I bought my Tacoma from a dealer with fixed pricing. All their inventory in online along with their prices. You might print out the cost sheet for the Tacoma you want and negotiate from there.
    Jimbarkleytoyota.com

10. Jan 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM
    xbxb

xbxb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    O.P. Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC, SB, 4WD Pyrite Mica,
    undercover flex, Clazzio seat covers, Flyzeyes, Pop N Lock, Shackle to drag me out
    I did what Muffin Man did sort of. I emailed an inquiry to 5 dealers within about 60 miles from where I live. I told them what truck I wanted and color then told them the first one to call me back gets the deal. I heard back within 10 minutes, they traded for the truck and went in the next day, signed the papers and picked up the truck.

049_zpsd1f7c971_ea837c68369f48df374589271a7b209d3b052712.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top