1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can You Adjust When the Clutch Lets Go?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hot Taco, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Apr 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    Hot Taco

Hot Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richfield, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Regular Cab
    Beefed Taco 3" Lowering Blocks DJM 3" Front Lowering Kit Custom C-Notch Intermittent Wipers LED tail lights
    I've had my 2013 manual transimission Tacoma for about two weeks now and I find the clutch highly annoying. Compared to my 2001 Tacoma and any other car I've owned, the clutch on my 2013 "lets out late"... i.e., it's not until the clutch is almost fully depressed that the car will actually go. I've been driving with a manual transmission my whole like (over 20 years) and I'm finding the clutch in my new truck is really hard to get used to.

Is there a reason for the clutch letting out so late? Can it be adjusted to "let out early"?

K Williams and Norton like this.
  2. Apr 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    Be prepared for the pedal to start squeaking. Mine started at about 8k miles on the ODO. Just lube it up every once and a while and you'll keep the squeak at bay. There is a TSB for the squeaky clutch but it is only for some 2012 and older. my vin # is out of the range and im sure your 13 is too. Maybe they'll extend it or the dealer will fix mine if I go in and complain...

I'm not sure on the adjustment, I hear ya, it is rather annoying that the clutch engages at full dump basically. I've gotten somewhat used to it but still find the 6 speed to be a rather unusual beast when it comes to driving it smoothly.

Norton and K Williams like this.
  3. Apr 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    Hot Taco

Hot Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richfield, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Regular Cab
    Beefed Taco 3" Lowering Blocks DJM 3" Front Lowering Kit Custom C-Notch Intermittent Wipers LED tail lights
    My clutch on my 2001 squeaked almost the entire time I owned it... <sarcasm>I'm glad to see Toyota came-up with a solution for that</sarcasm>. :mad: At least on my old truck, getting a car wash with an underbody flush made the problem worse. The squeak was caused by two metal parts rubbing on each other with no lubrication, which was obviously made worse by washing everything.

My truck is a base model 5 speed manual, I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

4. Apr 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    From the FSM:

ON-VEHICLE INSPECTION

1. INSPECT AND ADJUST CLUTCH PEDAL SUB-
    ASSEMBLY
    (a) Lift the floor carpet.
    (b) Check that the pedal height is correct.
    Pedal height from asphalt sheet: 168.5 to 178.5 mm (6.634 to 7.028 in.)
    (c) Adjust the pedal height.
    (1) Loosen the lock nut and turn the stopper bolt until the height is correct. Tighten the lock nut.Torque: 25 N*m (250 kgf*cm, 18 ft.*lbf)
    (d) Check that the pedal free play and push rod play are
    correct.
    (1) Depress the pedal until the clutch resistance begins to be felt.
    Pedal free play:
    5.0 to 15.0 mm (0.197 to 0.591 in.)
    (2) Gently depress the pedal until the resistance begins to increase a little.
    Push rod play at pedal top:
    1.0 to 5.0 mm (0.039 to 0.197 in.)
    (e) Adjust the pedal free play and push rod play.

(1) Loosen the lock nut and turn the push rod until the free play and push rod play are correct.
    (2) Tighten the lock nut.
    (3) After adjusting the pedal free play, check the pedal height.
    (4) Connect the air duct and install the lower finish panel.
    (f) Check the clutch release point.
    (1) Pull the parking brake lever and use wheel chocks.
    (2) Start the engine and allow it to idle.
    (3) Without depressing the clutch pedal, slowly move the shift lever into the reverse position until the gears engage.
    (4) Gradually depress the clutch pedal and measure the stroke distance from the point that the gear noise stops (release point) up to the full stroke end position.
    Standard distance:
    25 mm (0.984 in.) or more
    (From pedal stroke end position to release
    point)
    If the distance is not as specified, perform the
    following operations.
    Pedal Height, Push Rod Play, Pedal Height Adjustment Point
    Push Rod Play and Free Play Adjustment Point, Push Rod Play, Pedal Free Play 25 mm (0.98 in.) or more Release Point, Full Stroke End Position

• Check the pedal height.
    • Check the push rod play and pedal free play.
    • Bleed the clutch line.
    • Check the clutch cover assembly and disc
    assembly.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    Key-Rei and Jacked Burton like this.
  5. Apr 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    Skeeter Skeetin

Skeeter Skeetin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Daphne, AL
    Vehicle:
    MGM 4x4 V6 6 speed
    5100's all around w/ 1.75" front. 1.5" Toytec AAL ARE shell with roof rack. Weathertech vent-visors and floormats 20% tint on front. Black and charcol wet okole's VLED V3 Triton DTRL's/turn signals. ECGS bushing
    I have a post TSB 2012 with the worst squeak possible. The Stealership was really hesitant about fixing it since i already had the "good" one. But after bringing it in squeaking a few times i got a new clutch pedal and master cylinder out of it. So far the problem is gone. If you want to take the time to complain a lot, I bet they would fix it for you.

6. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    stixnstrings

stixnstrings Active Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    06 4X4 AC TRD Off Road No Flaps Or Badges
    6" Fabtech lift, Warren brush gaurd
    Yes you can! Actually Jimmyh posted it but hear it is in layman's terms. I just adjusted the clutch pedal free play or the clutch pedal engagement point, it was driving me crazy. I've owned my 06 six speed for a few months bought it used with 173,000 I just figured it needed a clutch. But I did a couple clutch tests and towed my boat several times the clutch never slipped and I never smelt clutch. I bled my clutch slave, searched this forum and never really got a good answer but found that plenty of people with the same problem. So here's how you do it, you need a 12mm and a 14mm combination wrenches look under the clutch pedal arm (inside the cab) you'll see a rod with the 12mm jam nut and a 14mm square end above the jam nut loosen the jam nut twist the rod by hand til you have a couple inches of free play, free play is the down ward travel on the pedal until you feel resistance. Start your truck in neutral make sure it goes in gear and lets out where you like it shut your engine off and tighten the jam nut and your done should take all of five minutes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  7. Oct 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Eternal24k

Eternal24k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 V6 4x4

great info, going to try this weekend.
    Thanks!

8. Jan 21, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    RdRunr

RdRunr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    still in the Matrix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Base, white, reg cab, 2.7L, 5-spd
    LCE header, Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler
    So, how did it go?

I like pictures: :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ohiowa, K Williams and fergyz like this.
  9. Mar 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    abbazaba14

abbazaba14 Member

Member:
    Thank you! So freaking simple, yet so hard to find online. Now I feel dumb not looking under there sooner. I added a small spacer to the top of the free play adjustment stop (labeled "pedal height adjustment point" in the above diagram) to eliminate the slack this procedure created. Now the pedal is much better to operate.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    K Williams likes this.
  10. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:43 AM
    K.Ray

K.Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 6sp Manual, Quicksand
    None
    I hate to dig up an old post but I hate asking the same questions in new posts even more.

My manual rig has the most wonky clutch I've ever had the pleasure of using. The thing's engagement point is right at the top as you begin to depress the clutch. I attempted to adjust the Free Rod Play and that seemed to fix the engagement point slightly but had a side effect of making my pedal feel like it was dangling on a string. The pedal flopped around like I had disconnected it form the system.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

K Williams likes this.
  11. Jan 28, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Exact same thing on my 2015, when i adjusted the rod it moved the engagement point down but then the pedal had almost no resistance so I have just been living with it engaging all the way at the top.

Norton likes this.
  12. Jan 29, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    tcam27

tcam27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIm
    CT
    Vehicle:
    13 silver DCSB 6spd with a bunch a sick bikes
    16 limited wheels and tires TRD Short throw shifter
    I had no problem with getting my TSB done on my clutch it is a 13 and way out or warranty

13. Jan 29, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    K.Ray

K.Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    None
    Mine's 10 years old with 130,000 miles. Not sure they'll jump at the chance to work on a truck that old. Mine makes all sorts of crazy noise from the TOB and the pedal feel is absolutely crazy like nothing else I've ever driven. I may try it just to see what happens.

tcam27[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 29, 2016 at 8:55 AM
    tcam27

tcam27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIm
    CT
    Vehicle:
    13 silver DCSB 6spd with a bunch a sick bikes
    16 limited wheels and tires TRD Short throw shifter
    if it ant broken don't fix it!

15. Jan 29, 2016 at 9:01 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    That, my friend, is NOT the TW way....

If it ain't broke, we fix it 'til it is!

Jacked Burton and NeedmoreTaco like this.
  16. Feb 8, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    K.Ray

K.Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    None
    Oh, it's definitely broken. Watching someone else try to drive the truck is comical.

17. Jun 16, 2016 at 12:02 PM
    Bowers86

Bowers86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 RC 2WD 5-speed
    Access Cab Buckets, OE backup cam, AFE Air Filter/Secondary filter removed/Fender Elbow removed, Magnaflow 11225, XII springs/4x4 leafs/XR Bilsteins, Prodigy P3 brake controller, 3.73 Third, Undercover Tonneau, Koomus CD slot iPhone mount, Paint matched rear bumper, Drag 18x9 et20 wheels, 3rd Gen Airdam.
    Wanted to bump this thread.

Followed the instructions by stixnstrings (and jimmyh) and worked fabulously. And like abbazaba14, I saw that there was free-play in the pedal travel before engaging the plunger, so i took a thick washer and nut (m8 x 1.25 ?), and placed them on the exposed threads of the "pedal height adjustment point" where the clutch pedal arm contacts. Now the pedal rests about 2" down from where it was originally, which is much more comfortable as there isn't any free play and though the engagement is still a little high for my taste, it's leagues better than it was. I now feel comfortable letting others drive it without worrying to tell them that its a pain in the ass to clutch-in/out.

Jacked Burton and Norton like this.
  18. Dec 21, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I've got a question on clutch pedal adjustment. I was going to do this about a month ago, but ran into an issue. I was going to adjust the bumper on the end of the pushrod, but the bumper wouldn't turn after the lock nut was loosened. It would turn but there's a square nub that interfaces with a square hole on the back of the clutch pedal.

Are you supposed to push in the pedal to turn the bumper? Or do you turn the pushrod and the adjustment occurs because the bumper is stationary?

19. Dec 21, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    If memory serves me once you loosen the jamnut the you turn the rod in and out, just make a paint line on the rod so you can see how far you turned it.

20. Dec 21, 2016 at 1:31 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    It's been so long I don't remember but I think shakerhood is right. As mentioned, mark it before starting. It doesn't take much to make a difference - two to three full turns would probably get the grap point right to the floor (which is probably not where you want it to be).

Products Discussed in

To Top