1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The mystery "clunk" noise. Spindles?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Spencer, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Jan 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    Spencer

Spencer [OP] Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    So I've developed a weird mystery clunk sound drivers front wheel even at low speed when I hit any stiff bump- EG- if I drove over a bunch of 2x4's you'd hear and feel it, even at 10 mph. Every bolt is tight, wheel bearings solid, LCA & UCA bushings look & feel fine

Running icon UCA's and king extended travel. Truck has 20k on it, lift parts have 5k. New 2013 4X4
    I've given up trying to figure it out, as have many other guys looking over it & checking it out.

I took the coilover off to crank a bit higher & fix taco lean & decided to put the wheel back on & cycle through full wheel travel to trim fender wells for rubbing on my 285's
    At full up travel, wheel locked right, I noticed the steering "bump" stop things don't line up right with the LCA bump that hits them to stop the steering. Sorry I don't know the names of the parts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390690283.884374.jpg
    Bad picture I know. Hooray iPhones. I messed with the color settings tryin to get the best view of what I think is my issue.
    The green line is the steering "yoke" thing that hits the LCA knob to stop the wheel from turning. The red part outlined is the thing the spindle hits to stop.

Should these be aligned better? (Centered in the yoke of the spindle?)

It appears to be hitting the lower part of this yoke rather than Center. It appears to be because the icon UCA is misaligned to tilt the spindle back, tilting this yoke thing up.
    Is that normal?
    Could this be the noise during cycling the suspension?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Jan 31, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    Spencer

Spencer [OP] Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    Solved.
    I was looking too closely at the problem. It was my on board air tank that is coming a little loose...
    Moral of the story, start simple on rattles & ghost problems!

Products Discussed in

To Top