1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Inch lift Questions !

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Connor12, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jan 26, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    Connor12

Connor12 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Texas / oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    1998 2.7 4x4 single cab
    toytec 3 inch lift springs and bilis shackles on rear
    well I'm a newbie here and I'm looking into putting a lift on my taco I'm wanting to do a 2 inched on it so heres what I'm looking at buying to achieve that and i would like halls inputs , thanks

Buying
    - 4 Bilstein 5100 shocks
    - 2 add a leaf "2"
    - differential drop "do i need" ?

I plan on using the truck on some trails but nothing crazy and the truck has 135,xxx and the shocks need replacing and the the leaf looks tired.

Heres the truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Jan 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    I have all the same items except with the addition of eibach coils. The eibachs will give you 3+ inches which is more than you want. Some people run the stock coils on the 5100's @ top setting and achieve roughly 2.5" I believe. You could also look to purchase some milder OME coils (880 or 881), but some people advise against the ome/5100 combo, though I'm debating swapping my eibachs for ome 881's myself.

3. Jan 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    Sweet looking truck man,
    I have a 2.5 inch lift with a AAL (add a leaf) and a spacer in the front.. It was cheap and rides great.

4. Jan 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    881s would be a much better option for 2" of lift and would ride much better than the stock coils preloaded.

With that amount of miles you may be OK with and AAL, post up a picutre of your leaf pack. If you pack is tired and frowing, you would probably benefit from an entire new leaf pack. I'm very happy with my Wheelers 5 packs (1.5" of lift).

There's mixed opinions on diff drops on here. My personal opinion is that they don't really do anything. I wouldn't bother.

5. Jan 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    With with ome 881 and 5100 setup do you have any cv boot issues or do any of the fins rub? I've been debating switching to 881s to actually lower my front end 1" and eliminate cv boot wear (inner fins are rubbing).

6. Jan 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I hope you realize that the rear shocks have different upper mounts. Don't order 4 of the same part number.

Also, consider the 3-pack AAL. Cost more than the 1-leaf, but the ride will be better, and its easier on the old leaves.

7. Jan 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Connor12

Connor12 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Texas / oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    1998 2.7 4x4 single cab
    toytec 3 inch lift springs and bilis shackles on rear
    ok ya i just measured out the truck today and my rear sits little over and inch lower than the front. and I'm want the just a 2inch lift right now so will the bilsteins 5100s work good with that ? and would AAL or block be better or a mixture of both ? New to the whole lifting a truck , more from the world of lowering lol

8. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    On the rear, shocks do not provide any lift. For 2" in the rear, I'd use a progressive AAL. If that is not enough lift, you could replace the stock shackle with a longer one (shackle that is 2" longer provides 1" of lift).

9. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    If the rear sits an inch lower then the front, you leaf springs are toast. There should have been a one inch rake from the factory.

I still stand by my statement that a replacement leaf pack is a better option. AAL is only a band ail to a failing leaf pack.

10. Jan 28, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    With only 135k miles, I'd be surprised if the stock leaves were really shot, but if so, then a quality replacement pack would be best. Mine was never wheeled and the rear leaves didn't 'frown', so I went the progressive AAL route.

Some aftermarket leaf packs have a tendency to sag after a few months of use, though.

11. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    Just FYI....just because leaf springs are sagging, or are a bit of out shape, doesn't mean they are "toast". Leaf springs can be re-arc'd back into a more robust or "smile" shape.

When I first got my Nissan hardbody, the leafs were damn near flat. I took it to a really big suspension shop in a local industrial park. They mostly do huge dump trucks, tractor trailers, etc etc. In other words, they deal with the suspension on trucks that have like 15 leafs for one spring!

They gave me an estimate of $45/side to re-arc the leaf springs. I thought that was fair, but never got around to it. Kinda wish I did as I bet it would have fixed my truck riding like shit and blowing shocks all the time.

ALSO, my friend had a 1997 2wd S10 that he lowered. Instead of using blocks, he had that suspension shop flatten his leafs for him. The shop said "well damn...you the only guy in the last 20 years to ask us to do that"

12. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    Im about to change out my leafs on my 99 prerunner. I have 210k. My passenger side leafs have been blown for years and I drove around with them like that. You should get some new leafs then add-a-leaf to those if you plan on a lift. dont add a leaf to old worn out leafs. Get Dorman leafs, theyre aftermarket and work great. You can call the guys at a shop called "Japanese Truck" out in Wilmington, California. They deal with Toyota trucks all day long and will recommend Dorman leafs. You can also call them if you have questions, those Japanese guys over there know they're doing and are friendly.

Products Discussed in

To Top