1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I get a truck with the lift already installed or add it myself later?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Labamba32, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Jan 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    Labamba32

Labamba32 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    All,

So I've finally saved up some decent coin to buy myself Tacoma as spare vehicle. As I've started shopping around I found a few that already have lifts but are either older with high mileage, need some work, or have some other drawback. Thus I'm wondering if it might be better to just find a good deal on any 4x4 version that I like regardless of a lift already installed and then I can just add the lift later myself. Here are my concerns:

1) I've never lifted a vehicle before, always bought with the lift already done
    2) Is this something that's pretty difficult to install myself, if so what type of ball park installation costs am I looking at?
    3) I've been looking at Tacoma's between 95-09 and want to do the Tuff Country 54900 or some other (open to suggestion) 6" suspension lift plus a 3" body lift (again open to suggestion but was looking at the Summit Racing® 7800000).
    4) I'm thinking its probably more cost effective to get one with the work already done, since in parts alot the 2 kits would be $2K, not to mention the tires. But just wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

2. Jan 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    OK well since you are new welcome! Don't get tough country and go all crazy with a 3 inch body lift and a six inch lift. Go with something fox, camburg, or icon shocks and your truck will be lifted and rife better for the same cost. You will only get 3 inches of lift but that is better than 9 inches.

3. Jan 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM
    Labamba32

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Just curious why do you say 3" is better than 9"? I'm mostly going for the look more so than off road functionality. Not to say that i'd never go off road but mostly just drive it around town (kinda a beater truck if you well - pick up lumber, throw softball equipment in the back, etc.) I just wanna ride around in style a bit. I found one locally that had the 6" suspension and 3" body and looked pretty good. Guy wanted $4K but it had 240K miles. This is was started my whole dilemma.

4. Jan 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    Well a 9 inch lift will make your truck ride like crap and you will have more issues than a 3 inch lift. Besides a 3 inch lift will give you a good stance and look good. Not to mention you can actually get stuff into the bed without needing a ladder.

5. Jan 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  6. Jan 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
  7. Jan 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    Houston-76

Houston-76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    Tinted windows - weathertech floor mats - removed front mudflaps - no seatbelt chime mod - fogs on anytime mod - Borla catback exhaust - afe throttle body spacer - K&n filter - Kmc Xd hoss wheels 17X9 4.5 backspace - rubbers are 275/65 17 yokahama geolander a/t's - Maxtrac 4" lift spindles - allpro standard leafsprings - 1.25 rear wheel spacers - arctic white headlights and fogs - kings coming soon - supercharger coming later
    Welcome to TW :wave: I think what he meant by better,was a high performance suspension setup and not a lift just for the height. As far as your question as to buy with or without a lift, i have installed all of my suspension myself so i guess you gotta be a gearhead and want to do the work yourself. Picking a year model, color, 2 door ,4 door, v6 or 4 banger would be a good start and then narrow it down from there.

8. Jan 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    Tinted windows - weathertech floor mats - removed front mudflaps - no seatbelt chime mod - fogs on anytime mod - Borla catback exhaust - afe throttle body spacer - K&n filter - Kmc Xd hoss wheels 17X9 4.5 backspace - rubbers are 275/65 17 yokahama geolander a/t's - Maxtrac 4" lift spindles - allpro standard leafsprings - 1.25 rear wheel spacers - arctic white headlights and fogs - kings coming soon - supercharger coming later
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11590-ongoing-lift-install-price-thread.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/43093-fabtech-procomp-6-lift-more-pictures.html

9. Jan 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    x2

[​IMG]

10. Jan 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    Houston-76

Member:
    Montgomery Co Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 trd pr dcsb
    JK JK But really though if you like the bigfoot / mudder look by all means go for it :)

11. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    Labamba32

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Good thoughts, i'm pretty sure i want a v6 with just an extended cab. I've had 2 older toyota's in the past. One was an 89 4 cyl 4x4 that i'm pretty sure was stock (can't remember cuz i was in high school at the time) but we put some decent all terrain tires on there and it ran great and looked good as well. It was a single cab. Then after that one was stolen i replaced it with a 92 extended cab v6 that has some sort of a lift on it, huge tires, that were too big to keep momentum going in 5th gear. Had to drive around the freeways in 4th gear only. Still was a pretty good truck. Love how they run forever with little maintenance issues. Just don't want the problem of not being able to go in 5th gear again.

12. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    If you want just get a 6 inch lift because anything over that and you will have vibrations and drive train issues.

13. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    I enjoyed the learning process of installing a lift on my own

14. Jan 28, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    OP, welcome to TW! If you want something lifted, you'd be better off doing it yourself- if you buy it pre-lifted, you never know what they might have done wrong. I never buy anything that has already been modded (except cosmetic mods) out of fear that the previous owner may have screwed up something. But it's up to you, of course. Good luck!

You just made my day with this.

15. Jan 30, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    King 2.5" Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, 2.5" King Rear Shocks with Compression Adjusters, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 30" LED Lightbar, Ultragauge, Tinted Windows
    Buying a stock truck and modding it yourself is much more rewarding. I bought my first truck with the lift already done and ended up changing out the rims and tires later anyways. If you buy it stock you can build it how you want it with the parts you want. I bought my current taco brand new so it was a clean slate and I enjoyed every little mod and seeing it transform. Don't think I'll ever buy a truck that isn't stock again.

16. Jan 31, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    Card1

Card1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia!
    Vehicle:
    96 taquito
    Doestch Spindles
    Yeah think about this OP. if the truck already has a lift installed, how are you 100% that they didn't rally the hell out of it or sink it to the windows in mud? Even if you took it somewhere, having a stock truck from the get go would be the best idea. I usually shoot for trucks that were grandpa driven. maintenance was always up to standard and you wouldn't have to worry about it being driven in a maniac fashion.

Products Discussed in

To Top