1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have/Want/Need

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Perpetualsharon, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    Perpetualsharon

Perpetualsharon [OP] I'm a nerd.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sharon
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4WD SR5 TRD
    I plugged in my cell phone and GPS, air freshener... And I mod'd the square cup holders to fit my round cups.
    HAVE: This is what I have... 99 Tacoma, 4wd automatic, SR5, V6, diff lock, TRD with a camper shell. It was a single owner truck with 121k when I bought it in February 2013.

[​IMG]

WANT: I have had this truck almost a year and this is what I want to do... I live in the Midwest. I want to travel all over... Oklahoma, Texas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, deserts of Arizona & New Mexico, mountains of WY, MT, CA...whatever and where ever my whim takes me. Not really looking to do a ton in the way of trails but if the notion hits I want to be prepared. I have common sense and won't be doing any serious treks through rough rocky terrain..not at first anyway. Living and camping out of the truck for weeks on end...maybe a month or two in the summers.

NEED: What do I need to have outfitted on my truck and learn how to use in the next 2-3 years? I need ideas here, your travel experiences and suggestions. I don't want to forget something important that would be a huge necessity when leaving say.... Glacier National Park and driving to Vancouver in September.

xoxo - Sharon

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    NCJeyota

NCJeyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Raleigh,NC
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Double cab
  3. Jan 29, 2014 at 11:25 AM
    Perpetualsharon

Member:
    First Name:
    Sharon
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4WD SR5 TRD
    I plugged in my cell phone and GPS, air freshener... And I mod'd the square cup holders to fit my round cups.
  4. Jan 30, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    bawilson21

bawilson21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    The Stock Tacoma does pretty well off road. Go do some light wheeling and get a feel for how it handles. Other then that, I would reccommend focusing on creature comforts in your Tacoma. Look on getting a power inverter in there, something more then 300W at least. Make sure you have a light in the bed of your truck, perhaps on the camper. A jerry can/gas can will prove useful. Find a good way to store/mount it in your truck. Keep a good set of jumper cables and 10,000lb tow strap in the truck just incase. You may want to lay down a piece of carpeted plywood in the back to make it flat for when you sleep in the back. A good sleeping bag or bed setup. Curtains for privacy if you wish....most of this stuff Im sure you can figure out on your own. If you do sleep in the back alot, maybe get one of these
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    Deathbysnusnu

Deathbysnusnu Work is just a daily detour to happy hour.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Fort Crawlins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Vintage Tundra
    Dog, camper.
    Who makes that camper/shell? I like that door and the look of the tailgate!

6. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    bawilson21

bawilson21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    I think A.R.E. Google it. There may be a few other companies that make it.

7. Jan 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    If I were you here would be my starting list.....

1) mild suspension lift to improve ride and handle a larger load. Old Man Emu would be great.
    2) Either a sleeping platform in the bed, or a rack on the canopy for a rooftop tent.
    3) A 12V Fridge. Will make a HUGE difference when living out of the truck for weeks at a time.

For what you describe you want to do you could do just about all of it with what you have, but the comfort level will go way up with the things I listed. You could go way deeper down the rabbit hole with this stuff, but keeping it simple will be easier and cheaper. Sounds to me like reliability is going to be paramount so don't be messing with too much on the truck to jeopardize the reliability.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  8. Jan 30, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    Perpetualsharon

Member:
    First Name:
    Sharon
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4WD SR5 TRD
    Messing with the truck a whole lot isn't high priority on my list. This is my daily driver to work so I need to keep it simple and for the most part removable for those times I need to be just the grocery-gettin momma. I've been thinking about Ride Rites because of the way the truck squats a little with the camper but I'm girly and I don't know what the stuff is called or what it is I really want or what the difference is between this thing or that thing... but I know what I want it to do.

I dunno what the difference is between Ride Rites and Old Man Emu lift. I have thought about a sleeping platform and have picked up a bed frame with tall legs at the thrift store for $10. A sheet of plywood cut to fit and an old memory foam mattress topper is what I thought might work for bedding. I already have my tow strap, rachet straps and bungee cords and have learned to use them all correclty :) a tent (if it hasn't dry rotted..it hasn't been out in about 10 years), misc camping supplies. I hadn't thought much about the small refrigerator or the power inverters. That's a good idea!

As far as learning my truck, that I have been doing. St. Joe's last summer was the learning ground since it is pretty flat, sandy and not a lot people there during the week. Decent dry beds and ruts for beginner to get her feet wet. :) I'm getting pretty comfortable with my truck but still would like a little more familiarity with getting myself out of hazardous conditions, rough terrain,etc. it isn't exactly what I am planning for my trip but you never know what kind of situation you'll end up in.

9. Jan 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
  10. Jan 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    2stroketrush

2stroketrush Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler Addison Rush
    Baltimore
    Vehicle:
    Built 97 ExtraCab
    Overland Purpose Built 97 going on 190K.
    Put some foam and a sleeping bag on it and your good to go. Like 50$ with lumber and hardware.

[​IMG]

11. May 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    KyTacomaCamper

KyTacomaCamper Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Kentyucky Blue Grass
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    Wheels, cap, running boards, vent shades, bug deflector. 8/31/2020 Tinted the driver compartment windows and strip across the windshield. What a difference.
    We pulled a 4000 camper with our 2014 Tacoma. There"s a picture of it on my profile. The one thing I found that helped when towing was the use of weight distribution setup. They'er easy to use and it really helps.

12. May 1, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    6 year old thread.

13. May 1, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    75 months is wot i got

14. May 1, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    BeLance89

BeLance89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2002 White TRD double cab
    its those damn second geners again! o_O

Kwikvette[QUOTED] likes this.