1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Atlanta Freeze

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MariettaTaco, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    MariettaTaco

MariettaTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Superwhite 4x4 Dblcb
    Purchased my 4wd base dbl cab late last year and wondered if I would ever get to use 4wd. Last night, got the perfect chance. I left work at 6pm and was immediately in a parking lot. By 8pm everything was beginning to turn to ice and I was 2 blocks from my work. I decided to drive in the opposing lane because no one was using it and no one was going anywhere. The Tacoma was going places no one could go. I even had a new Fx4 F150 slide around me into a group of cars. I can't believe how well this truck handled the ice hills. Only once did I feel out of control but quickly recovered before going off the road. It would have been nice to have the off road package, but I'm not sure on ice that it would have made that much of a difference. What was normally a 20 minute commute became an 8 hour commute.

Love this truck!

Scott
    Marietta, Ga

2. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  3. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    hmcclung

hmcclung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    14 Superwhite S/C DCSB TRD OR
    The beauty of 4x4. Glad Georgians get to experience some winter this year.

4. Jan 30, 2014 at 2:44 AM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi from Canada. You southern folk might want to add some windshield washer antifreeze to your windshield washer fluid tank - keep the water in there from freezing and damaging the pump.

5. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:36 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Sunday night my 20 min. commute turned into 45 min. 25-35mph winds caused white out conditions, drifting, and dangerous wind chills. Taco performed great, got to work safe (if I'm not there nobody gets in) only a few more gray hairs:rolleyes: Glad everything turned out OK for you. Still 8hrs. Is a long time:eek:

6. Jan 30, 2014 at 4:27 AM
    scottw1

scottw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Tacoma 4x4
    Lighted 4wd dial, Sirus XM radio
    4wd has been working great here in Norfolk VA with 8 inches of snow on the roads.
    Pushed a kid out that was stuck at a stop sign. He was giving his rice burner all the gas he could and didn't understand why he was stuck. I told him to rock his car back and forth in rev and drive and I would push. He had no idea what I was talking about. two tries later, once I explained it to him, he was on his way. Love the snow in the south!

7. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    panicfan

panicfan Active Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    My Taco did great as well. Only have 2wd and was able to get home before it was too nasty. But still impressed.
    [​IMG]

8. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Sorry, it's supposed to be 80 today in Phoenix. Time for shorts and flip flops.

9. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I do that for all of my customers at my shop here. When we are about a month before it starts to get cold, I change out their washer fluid with the -44 by Peak.

10. Jan 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    Glamdring71

Glamdring71 Member

Member:
    I got to enjoy the Atlanta Snowpocalpyse also! It was my first time on snow and ice in my '13 prerunner. I gotta admit I was kicking myself a bit for not getting 4wd, but I was mighty impressed by the auto LSD. I kept the truck in 2 or L, and was able to get through everything I encountered, and I live on a narrow, windy country road.

My wife was one of the teachers that spent the night with kids that were stranded at the school. She's my hero.

11. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    ROAD DAWG

ROAD DAWG Well-Known Member

Member:
    birmingham,al
    Vehicle:
    10 trd prerunner
    debadged,procomp 7105 wheels,,kc slimlites,n-fab light bar,predator step bars,baja roof rack and light cage,hella 500 black magic,5100's(f/r) @.85,tsb rear,nitto terra grapplers(265-65-17)
    we went thru"snowpocalpyse" in central alabama also...the snow that fell before noon generated an ice base right away with dry snow on top.i consider myself a decent driver in inclimate weather conditions,however switching off "vsc" and entering "auto lsd mode" didn't do anything to allow me to get around,even in marginal areas...glad it worked for you,but i parked my tacoma 3 blocks from home and left it there till things thawed out..my grandson was caught by the weather and had to spend the night at school,i thought about going to get him in the tacoma...wouldn't have made it!he said the teachers and staff treated them great,and after the kids got over the initial shock of not being able to go home,they actually had a good time...he's a 9th grader and he thought they were going to sleep in the same room as the girls...he was dissapointed....to sum up my real world "auto lsd"experience,i'd say the system is only marginal at best,my wife's 2011 maxima actually performed better...the conditions were bad,there was no traction available to me in low gear and auto lsd..maybe 4wd would have been more effective,but to me...no traction is no traction,2wd or 4wd.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  12. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    The maxima will handle those conditions better because it's front wheel drive. The drive tires can turn back and forth to get more grip. Your tacoma being rear wheel drive with no 4wd is obviously going to suck in snowy icy conditions. Auto LSD is only gonna help you getting up a hill in slippery conditions. It's not meant to help your handling in snowy conditions.

4wd is leaps and bounds better than 2wd in the snow. Drives great. That's the main reason us people in snowy areas buy them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  13. Jan 30, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Atlanta blizzard 2014! woohoo! Man was it fun. Went wheeling with some friends at a local spot, and then played on the roads on the way home. Got to do some 4x4 cyclone donuts. Was pretty awesome. I was working in Marietta this morning, and it was still pretty frozen. 75 North was absolutely LITTERED with abandoned cars. Was a sight. Here's a pic I got this morning on the way to Marietta.
    IMG_20140130_080641_zpsun7rexqs_dfe43d91c3c743769f5bb43f463316ace0fed328.jpg

And it was like that for MILES. hundreds and hundreds of cars!

14. Jan 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Lady at our Ga. Office sent me pics today of her Gen 1 which she flipped on 75 south.

15. Jan 30, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I guess after sitting in traffic for 8 hours or whatever most people had to deal with, I'd give up and walk somewhere too. Only place I have driven since Tuesday was to the AMC a mile away. I walked to Kroger Wednesday morning for some groceries and the street was 100% iced over.

All I know is if zombies come, I'm fucked on getting the hell out of here.

16. Jan 30, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo

hahaha. right. I think the herd would be thinned quite significantly if there ever was a real emergency.

17. Jan 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    ROAD DAWG

ROAD DAWG Well-Known Member

Member:
    birmingham,al
    Vehicle:
    10 trd prerunner
    debadged,procomp 7105 wheels,,kc slimlites,n-fab light bar,predator step bars,baja roof rack and light cage,hella 500 black magic,5100's(f/r) @.85,tsb rear,nitto terra grapplers(265-65-17)
    i'll have to agree with you moondeath,in places where the dry powder snow completly covered the ice on flat surfaces,it actually worked pretty well in "auto LSD",i felt secure,the exposed ice layer was the problem,those were the dangerous spots,got me thinking about chains or a set of studded rears.

18. Jan 31, 2014 at 7:01 AM
    MariettaTaco

MariettaTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Superwhite 4x4 Dblcb
    I couldn't just leave my new Taco and walk like so many other people. Like I said in the original post, I jumped into the opposing lane since it was wide open and went several miles and got back into the stopped traffic. Kept doing this for many miles as long as it was safe. It's not something I would normally do, but when you been sitting in traffic hours and hours you start to look for safe shortcuts.

19. Jan 31, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    TIM.TRDSparks

TIM.TRDSparks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco DCLB RR
    CBI BUSHMASTER, BUDBUILT SKIDS SET, OME SUSPENSION, DAKAR LEAFS, TRD EXHAUST AND CAI PLUS MORE
    Pretty crazy storm that hit the SE region. We here at the beach had some nice ice as well and our town just shut down for a day and a half.

20. Jan 31, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    Lordaca

Lordaca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPRT DC LB 4x4
    Weathertech floor liners and wind deflector, OEM roof Rack, Wet Okoles seat covers, cb installed
    These storms were crazy. I would say this was worse than in 2011 because the snow melted and then refroze. Also everyone was at work verse it being Christmas break. I worked helping all my neighbors till 2am getting them off the road. Slowly liking the 2nd gen but I still haven't had it that long yet. This video was at SPSU in 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZBEziJC_tY
    How did she flip the truck? I loved mine and never had a problem. Although I do drive slower in the ice.

Products Discussed in

To Top