1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preparing to lose a lifelong companion.

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by The Traveler, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:13 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Update on page 2. 10/29/14

The last time I posted in this section, it was about my lost cat, but that story had a happy ending as many of you remember.

Today, Tobie, my golden retriever of almost 14 years, took a turn for the worst. She no longer has feeling in one of her legs and the other is on it's way out. It's a common problem where nerves are pinched along the spine where some disks have movement.

After the vet visit today, they told us we may have to make the decision this weekend, as she cannot even stand to go to the bathroom or drink or eat. The worst part is that they tell us she has not lost any cognitive ability this far, and that she is still "all there" in her head. She seems very happy, wagging her tail and interested in our dinner as always.

It happened so sudden, and the last time I lost a pet I was 10 years old. I ask for your prayers and good thoughts with my family this weekend. I've been very busy at the shop preparing for King of the Hammers next week, and I haven't had much time to spend with her lately. I'm going home tonight to lay down by her side and just reminisce on all the good times we've had while I was growing up.

Thanks guys. This photo was taken an hour ago, with the infamous Ramsey keeping her company...something he rarely does.

8apa8y6e_e6b2d1f40040830192c5b19798b5e2b406375a71.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Good luck, brother. The day I had to put my Golden down was the saddest of my life, so I know how painful is process is.

3. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    This has happened to me twice, last time in September. Today would have been her sixteenth birthday. Same circumstances. Totally 100% there, but could not get up.

There is not a damn thing you can do save for put her down. And I'm not going to lie, it will break your heart for the rest of your life, but there's nothing else to be done.

I pray for you, your family, her, and all the dogs in the world.

4. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    Stay strong brotha

5. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    Sorry to hear that man. Losing a good dog is super hard. I've done it a few more times than I'd have liked to. I just try to think about the good life you've given the dog and how much they have given you. They just want to please you but you have to remember to keep them safe from pain and misery. when you can't do that anymore don't hesitate to let them go. It really is for the best. Hard as hell but humane. Good luck to you and your dog.....BTW, nice picture.

6. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I'll pray for you man I love my dog do much he is my best friend! I know it sucks man but you have brothers here and we care for you man. I may not personally meet you but I will do everything I can to help you out man.

7. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:28 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    Sorry to hear about Tobie

8. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    Traviste

Traviste Now with more woopow

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Locked 4x4 Mid-Travel
    F:King 2.5 coilover resi ext 700#coils R:King 2.5 ext allpro expos
    Thoughts and prayers brother

9. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
  10. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:37 PM
    ponchosportal

ponchosportal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC TRD TOW
    Tailgate reinforcement, mud-flap removal, weathertech floormats, Pop-N-Lock, ARK Power Pak, Bed-rail shovel mount, Hose-clamp tailgate, equalizer WD hitch, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/Daystar cups,
    What makes us responsible for our pets is that they don't live as long as we do. So it is routinely a difficult ending to a wonderful relationship. It has happened to me with 14 dogs and 3 cats in 56 years. Some of the best friends I have ever had or will ever have shared my life with. If it doesn't hurt in the end it wasn't worth it. I am sorry for your loss ..... thank you for being a good person.

Alan

11. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:39 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    My thoughts are out to you man. I went through that exact situation a while back with my boy Abraham, it was tough. In the end I know you will make the right decision for her.

12. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    wheelerkr2

wheelerkr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    Sorry to hear that man. Had a golden for 12 years and had to put him down when I was a junior in high school and it was one of the saddest days of my life. Just remember all the good times you had with her.

13. Jan 31, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Sorry to hear, Matt. I've been there a number of times, and it's not easy. Stay strong, and give her lots of love.

14. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thank you guys for the prayers and well wishes.

At her age and size, I wouldn't consider a wheelchair. Everybody in my family works full time, and she is used to staying in the yard at home with the cat all day without us being around. We made a sling for her with a piece of fabric and fixed 2 rope handles to each side to prop up her hind legs. She went to the bathroom twice tonight, the second time being much easier for her, and she was even able to hold her own weight while going. It was only when she needed to walk when we had to hold her up again.

After coming home and laying by her side for some time, petting her and looking into her eyes, I got the strangest feeling that she knew what was coming but she didn't seem scared. I know every pet owner says this, but this dog is something else. She's got the most character and emotion out of any pet I've ever owned, or anybody else's pet I've come across. I feel like I we really have this communication after all these years that I can't describe.

Anyway, I'm rambling. My dad is a light sleeper and offered to sleep by her side tonight in case she has to go out again. The vet gave her some steroids to eliminate the possibility of an injury or sore muscles, but it makes her very thirsty and she has to go out a lot.

I will update tomorrow. Thanks again, and keep the good thoughts coming.

15. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:19 AM
    Weasel09

Weasel09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    6 Speed TRD Offload & X-Runner
    I feel your pain, I can remember every pet I've ever had and lost. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend.

16. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:20 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Matt I'm sorry to hear about Tobie. I have a 3 year old golden and they are great companions. I dread that day already. Prayers sent.

17. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    prayers to you and your family. we had to put our black lab/border collie mix pound pup down of 12 years last year due to an enlarged heart. hardest day of my life. if it does come down to it, just know they aren't suffering or in pain anymore. that's how i got through it. hoping things turn around for you man.

18. Feb 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    [​IMG]

They do know. And it looks like Ramsey might too. Fourteen is a good long life for a Golden. Hang in there. She'll appreciate you being there with her. Though it hurts like hell, it's actually a very sacred experience.

19. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Sorry, man. Preparing to go through the same with my 11 y/o chocolate lab. Do what's best for your pal -- she's earned that much.

20. Feb 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for the kind words.

I woke up this morning to help her go out to the bathroom, and she did surprisingly well, I barely had to hold the sling under her hips to keep her up. She did most of the work and was able to navigate to the grass without much difficulty, however, she is walking like she's "drunk", the typical walk of Degenerative Myelopathy in dogs. The disease only gets worst, and spreads all over her body.

The follow up appointment at the vet is at 4:00pm. We'll have to see what he says, and then go from there. At any rate, this is no life for a dog. She loves to be outside and protect the yard, and play fetch. Being bed-ridden and unable to get up on her own just makes me tear up.

Thanks again.

To Top