1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Auto Dimming Mirror

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Domreis, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    osubeav818

osubeav818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 Regular Cab, SuperWhite, Debadged
    Viper 350hv, Bakflip Fibermax, Pop n lock
    Hey all! I have a 13 Regular Cab. I was wondering if I had the harness in my ceiling or if I'm going to have to run the wires myself?

2. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    billinwoodland

billinwoodland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    N. Cal
    For which function? If temp, you will need to run the sensor wire in all likelihood.

3. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    osubeav818

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Nah jus want the auto dimmer and the compass. Jus wanna know if i have the harness up there to be able to connect the mirror

4. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock

I have a 2013 double cab, there was a plug behind the sunglasses holder for temp, compass, and rearview camera.

5. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    osubeav818

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    I dont have a console on top. Thats why i was asking if a regular cab had it in the roof.

6. Jan 23, 2014 at 3:41 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Probably not but no matter, it is simple to use 2 add-a-circuits in the fuse box to tap for sw pwr and constant pwr & the only other wiring is temp probe thru firewall which is also very simple. I guess camera wiring if you are getting one with display in mirror would be the PIB ones to run, but still simple. Go for it............

7. Jan 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    peto48

peto48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road Cement 4x4
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    Shout out to Bob for an excellent deal, fast shipping and an excellent product. Ordered the homelink, autodim, with hidden compass mirror. 15 minutes and I was installed, programmed and calibrated. Awesome mod. Thanks Bob!

8. Jan 30, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    Wow! Lots of fun reading. I currently have an '09 PR TRDOR Access and it has all the nice stuff. Just ordered a '14 TRDOR 4x4 Access because I need the 4x4. Found out like everyone else no compass or temperature in console or mirror. I do have a smart phone and am ordering with the Entune Premium with Apps and Nav. This way I get the data plan through my phone. However, I do like and will miss the console compass/temp, so I'll be installing the new mirror as suggested on this thread. I'll install the HomeLink as well and can eliminate my GD opener.

One thing I did find out is the only way you get the powered mirror with auto dim/temp/compass is in the PreRunner/4x4 Double Cab. No other package has that option. The backup is now in the radio portion and is much bigger and better. Getting the App suite gives you Data free according to the Toyota\Entune site.

I don't know why Toyota stopped the dimming mirror as I think it's a safety measure, but hey, I guess they do what they want. Also understand 2015 is the new generation but I happen to like this style and that's why I'm getting one now.

What a way to join the forum. :)

9. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    kasnerd

kasnerd candied bacon

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    I have a 2014 DCSB 4x4 OR (entune navi) that came with the basic mirror. Under the headliner at the mirror is what looks like a power cable (possibly for the auto dim mirror).

So what is a good thermometer for our trucks that could be mounted in the roof console? Anyone have an old one to sell? I think the temp sensor is in the grill already. An in/out gauge is VERY useful. There isn't climate control, so knowing what the inside temp would be groovy.

Also, could always go with one (like this) from Amazon, and get humidity to boot! Splurge and get atomic time and forecasting! Is there something like this for automotive applications that isn't $200 or more for a fancy auto dimming mirror that has a temp gauge?

10. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    peto48

peto48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road Cement 4x4
    Salex Center console organizer, glove box organizer, Husky Xact contour front and rear digital floor liners, OEM black running boards, TRD PRO Sema 4runner wheels black, Blackout badge kit, Bakflip MX4 hard folding tonneau.
    Why not just get the autodim, homelink, compass mirror from Bob since weather is displayed in your HU? That way it's completely plug and play and no wires/sensors need to be run.

11. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    kasnerd

kasnerd candied bacon

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    Well, that is not the ambient temperature at the truck, it's likely a noaa station, and it's expensive. Would just want temperatures. There is a cap on the bed, so double tinted windows take care of that dimmimg already.

12. Feb 9, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    2014taco

2014taco New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner SR5
    I just got a 2014 Tacoma and it only has the simple mirror with a dimming tab. Backup camera is in the radio and the temperature is via HD radio. Big step backwards for Toyota. I really would like auto dim and Home link in the mirror.

13. Feb 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM
    HandOfGod

HandOfGod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Stock
    Thanks peto48 to convince me to upgrade my mirror that I broke. Thanks For Bob on the homelink, autodim mirror. Great price! Fast shipment! Way better then the cheap 2014 mirror Toyota trying to save a buck.

14. Feb 16, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Seems to be a big difference in Canadian and US Tacoma. I picked up my 2014 SR5 V6 automatic long bed, and it has auto dimming mirror with homelink and compass. Backup camera is in the radio head unit. I have not determined if it is wired for outside temp but probably not. I think I will get the same mirror from Bob with temp gauge as well, and sell my mirror. Any idea what it's worth?

Edit: Damn autocorrect

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  15. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    cquester5

cquester5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Maybe Bob will take your mirror in trade.

16. Feb 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    Someone asked about a pdf to d/l so I made one of my install and posted on my website. You can d/l it here: http://www.weendoggy.com/tacoma/gentex_mirror.pdf for your use. I installed mine in a AT truck and did some rather anal stuff, but the process is o.k. This is a GREAT addition to a truck that Toyota balled up on by removing. My install took about 4 hrs. but I was taking pictures and taking my time. I think it can be done in less than 2 hrs. I purchased the Autodim/Compass/Temp/Homelink unit.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Feb 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    Slider57

Slider57 Active Member

Member:
    Bailey, CO
    Vehicle:
    14 ACSB 4WD SR5 V6
    Just finished the install, along with the ImMrYo Mirror Bracket on my 14 Access Cab. The plug was in the headliner, just as Bob's instructions mentioned, along with the 'cap' covering the plug.

At least now I'll have an idea when to expect ice on the roads...

18. Feb 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    gravedgr

gravedgr dirty Ford driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB TRD Off Road (Blue) - gone
    Method Racing Mesh wheels (17x8.5), Cooper ST Maxx tires (285/70/17), Toytec Ultimate lift (3"), Wet Okole seat covers, WT mats, Gemtex mirror, CF stubby antenna, scoop hood, painted grill surround, SOS bumper, SOS bed rack, Tepui Autana RTT, Engo 10k winch, bed lights, under hood lights, diff breather, 12v bed socket, 31M battery + battery monitor
    Subbing for later

19. Mar 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    RJP869

RJP869 Owner of Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More LLC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Three Oaks, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I don't have a Tacoma, but lots of mirrors!
    Hey everyone...just wanted to make you all available of a new version of the compass/autodim/Homelink mirror that just became available earlier this week. This one has a white LCD compass display, white down-facing LED on the bottom, and backlit buttons!!! This is the same mirror Toyota is using on some of their 2014-2015 models. As with the other compass/autodim/Homelink mirrors, these are plug & play on all 2012-2014 Tacoma's that are equipped with the factory overhead console as there will be the necessary 14 pin plug tucked away up there. They can also be used on the 2009-2011 models, but on those, the constant hot wire is typically not in place in the 14 pin plug above the overhead console, so you would either have to find a nearby constant hot wire to tap into, or just have the Homelink buttons operate only when the ignition is on instead of always...in this case it would also be plug & play. And in case anyone knows someone with a Tundra, the mirror will also be plug & play on 2010-2014 Tundra's as well. Price on these brand new mirrors are $10 more than the regular compass Homelink mirrors, or $269 including shipping within the U.S. (add $25 to ship to Canada).

Hopefully the pix I uploaded show up OK. I tried to take a decent pic of the display to show the color, but you may just have to take my word for it that the display is white :D The picture showing the LED on the bottom center of the mirror shows it with the mirror is off. When it's on, it's bright enough to make it impossible to take a picture of it...it just shows up as a white blob on my camera. And yes, the buttons are backlit - whenever the mirror is on, so are the LED's behind the buttons. You really can't see it during the day, but at night they look pretty cool & make it easier to find the buttons in the dark.

And in case anyone is wondering...no...the compass/temp/Homelink mirror is still only going to be available with a light blue display...there are no plans to offer that mirror in any other color display at this time. :(

PM me with any questions you may have or if you'd like to order one of these.

Thank you very much!!!
    Bob Prim

IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg

20. Mar 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    mouse007

mouse007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mauricio
    Weston,Florida.
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    ICON Vehicle Dynamics Uni-Ball UCA, ICON Vehicle Dynamics Extended travel remote reservoir coilovers, with 700# Coils and CDC (Compression Damping Control) Clicker Valves. Dakar Leafs Old Man Emu Nitro Sport Shocks Toyotech U-Bolt flip kit, Goodyear F. & R. extended Stainless Steel Brake lines. aFe Pro Dry drop in air filter. ARB Bull Bar. Weld on AVID Off-Road Rock Sliders W/ Kick Out. Tires: 285/75 R16 BFGoodrich KO/TA's. Light Force Blitz 240's 12v. Warn M-8000 W/ Viking Off-Road Synthetic winch line.

So this will be a full swap for a 2014 and it will be plug n play...?

Products Discussed in

To Top