1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

really bad sound from water pump area

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by koditten, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    koditten

koditten [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Picked up a non running wreck recently. Test ran it and making horrible racket from front of motor.

Can anyone tell me if the pump failing makes a bad racket or the same question for timing belt idler/tensioner pulley?

3.4 liter, 60 k on original timing belt. New altinator and ac pump clutch is disengaged.
    Ive never had to do a timing belt water pump on these motors because of a failed part, always did the work when maintance schedule required it. Because of that I'm not familiar with the noise these make if they go bad.

I'm on my phone so forgive me for not doing a search, plus im in no hurry.

Thanks
    Kirk

2. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    2004 TRD extra cab 4 x 4 if that matters.

Kirk

3. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Yes on both. A timing belt pulley bearing or water pump bearing failure will cause a significant amount of noise when the engine is running.

4. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:51 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    When I wrote this I was hoping it was you that would be responding. I've appreciated your post since I've been here.

The timing belt change will go on the list a bit closer to the top now.

Good to know I've got a second on my suspicions.

Thanks for the confermation.

Kirk

5. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    No worries. Feel free to PM me if you have a question. I usually field 3 or 4 a day. I don't mind at all. I would get this looked at immediately though. Either one of those bearings get worse FAST once they start to fail. while you won't damage the engine if the belt comes loose, or gets cut, you don't want to get stranded.

That being said there are several other bearings on the engine that could cause noise. I would suggest removing all of the drive belts, then start the engine and see if the noise is still there. A/C idler pulley bearings are notorious for failures as well.

6. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Good advice.

I'll put the truck on the hoist this afternoon and remove the ac belt....as long as the Mrs let's at it.

I'll report in later.

Again, thanks.

Kirk

7. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    No love on being the ac idler. Looks like I got a date to go deep into the front end of that motor.

Regardless, that timing belt would need changed in the next 18 months anyways.

I expect these crazy suprises when I buy a wreck, just once and a while I would like to get off cheaper than i planned. My last 4 trucks have been wrecks that I rehabilitate, so this is nothing new. Fortunately my labor does not get factored in because these repaired vehicles are my hobby. Having these forums only makes the job easier.

Thanks to all who are willing to share their knowledge.

KO

8. Feb 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Before you go past it into the timing belt area check what Toyota calls the "fan support bracket". You will need a stethoscope, real or improvised.

If you buy it from a dealer you can only get it as an assembly including a fan clutch and pulleys. Get just the bracket from a parts house that sells Aisin. The bearing that fails (shown pressed out) is a proprietary unit, not available separately.

FANBKT2_e4720d38e662e0dd52400e6c71ec77b3464270e5.jpg

9. Feb 2, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Thanks for the pic. I'll check that.

Before I move ahead, I should meantion that I have the fan off, but the nuts tightened. Is there a chance That this could be causing the noise?

10. Feb 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    This is a good possibility. I'd never heard of this bracket, until my wife's 1992 LS400 made a disturbing rattling noise from the front end. I thought the worst, and took it in (I don't do 1UZ's :eek: ). They determined, just from the noise, that it was the fan support bracket. Apparently a common problem. Still a costly repair but better than a new motor.

11. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    I wouldn't think just having the fan off would cause a noise, it may have an effect on the noise.
    Not sure what type of sounds you have but on the 3,4 a failing fan support starts with a sound exactly like a slipping belt or a dry bearing, kind of a squeal or shriek. It usually surfaces in cold weather and goes away after a few minutes. The bearing can feel nice and smooth but still make the sound.
    If you don't have a stethoscope ($5 at HF) just stick a good sized screwdriver tip on the housing and put the handle to your ear, you will know right away. Without the fan in place it should be quick and easy.
    The "assembly" from a dealer is $400+. The fan support alone from an Aisin dealer is around $130. Avoid the Chinese knock offs, if they will even bolt up they don't last long.

This is the shaft (also serves as the inner race), it had 1 row of ball bearings on the left and 1 set of rollers on the right.
    FANBKT3_5948985a334d61688bf4412cc67341e7f20b211a.jpg

12. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    You just explained exactly what my truck does. Only does it when it's below about 45 degrees and gets quieter as it warms up...

What's the process of replacing these?

13. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    No big thing but listen to it first to be sure. Drain enough coolant to remove the upper radiator hose. Then remove the fan shroud, belts, fan/fan clutch and plastic upper timing cover, don't rip the crankshaft position sensor wire off with it, look for it on the lower left of the cover and unhook it. The fan support is affixed with 2 long studs/nuts and one bolt. You will have to cuss at and come to an understanding with the PS pump tensioning bracket. No biggie, just a little tight in there.

Once again stay away from the knock offs and get the OEM Aisin. http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...+Google+Base&gclid=COql7aOWrrwCFc5DMgodZnAAcQ

14. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Interesting... Thanks! Will definitely be something I'll be looking into when it finally warms up.

15. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Update...and here to collect first prize for being a dumb ass.

I installed the fan. Apperently the bolts run out of thread without the fan flange in place. The water pump pully was not tight. I figured when the nuts snuffed up, I had the pully tight. Wrong!

It just struck me as odd, my last project was a tundra and I did the exact same thing with the fan and there was no noise.

You learn something new everyday.

Thanks guys, with the pics you sent I was able to make the lightbulb come on.

Kirk

By the way the motor sounds awesome.

16. Feb 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Anyone know how to post pics using taptalk? I would love to show what I found.

17. Feb 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
  18. Feb 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Never mind I figured this app out.

19. Feb 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Glad you found the prob.
    A bit off topic, do I see "supplemental" foam insulation panels on your garage door? If so did they make much of a difference?

20. Feb 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    I've been thinking about that. They are insulated, tho. The shop is heated with hot water tubes in the concrete. I keep it at 50*, feels much warmer when your feet are toasty. I got a pretty nice playground.

When the wife gets pissed at me and sends me to the shop, I ain't suffering too bad:)

Products Discussed in

To Top