1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for buying advice.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DancesWithDaleks, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Feb 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    DancesWithDaleks

DancesWithDaleks [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    I posted friday about this Tacoma and the general opinion was that the mileage was way too high for that price range. So I did some searching around and believe I found something that looks a lot better and would like you guys opinion once more. I figured you guys will have a little more expertise on Tacomas than my buddies at work!

2010 Tacoma

This one has 50,216 miles on at with my choice of extended warranty. I just have to decided what would fit best for me I suppose, any advice on that would much appreciated. They're asking 19,998 which they said is negotiable when I get to the lot, we'll see about that. Suggested retail is 24,000 and private party sell is at 21,000. On paper this seems like a great deal. I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow after to check it in person for any rust issues as I've heard these are notorious for frame rust and any other issues I can find.

I would really like to buy new but the new model Tacomas are way out of my price range at the moment. Let me know what you guys think and any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Feb 2, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Did I miss something in the description, or is it 2 wheel drive? It says RWD up top.

3. Feb 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    DancesWithDaleks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    It is a 2 wheel drive. I'm not too concerned about that seeing as we only get snow a couple times a year where I'm from.

4. Feb 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Looks pretty clean. I don't know why you would think Tacomas are notorious for rust, especially one that's in TX. My '05 hardly have any frame rust. RWD pretty much means 2WD. Snow couple times a yr? Are we in the same DFW area? lol..More than likely ice couple times a yr..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  5. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    DancesWithDaleks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    What was I thinking? No snow, never snow, just ice! Dealing with that miserable stuff today...

I think the frame issue may only apply to the ones up north or by the coast due to salt and what not. I've just seen that topic come up quite often in the Tacoma forums. Something about the paint being too thin on the frames.

6. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    dxpsman

dxpsman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport PreRunner
    AFE MACH Force-Xp 3" Cat-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System w/Black Tips, Complete OME 3" lift, debadged, Body Armor 4x4 side steps.
    When I started my search for a Tacoma, I was initially searching for a pre-owned. I found some decent deals (although most weren't as good as the one you have in your scope), but at the end of the day, the resale value of the Tacoma is way too high. To put it into perspective, a new 2014 Tacoma similarly equipped runs less than $30k. Is a 2010 with 50k miles worth 2/3 the cost of a new truck to you? If so, jump on it. If not, saving up a bit might be your best bet.

7. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    my 2010 ( 2wd) has 86k on it... and is doing great.. KBB says mine is worth 18k-22k

8. Feb 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    DancesWithDaleks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    I can see what you mean, they seem to run between $26,000 to to mid 30's or so. The reason I've been looking preowned is to try to keep it in my budget. I could probably afford new but would prefer not to put myself in that kind of bind. $20,000 is kind of the sweet spot for me, where I can find something nice that doesn't have ridiculous miles on it. I've seen 2005's with well over 100,000 miles that are still going for $15,000 or more. It blows my mind how Tacomas, or Toyotas in general can keep their resale value.

9. Feb 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    If 2 wheel drive works for you then go for it. I didn't pay attention to your location, and 4x4 probably isn't a necessity in Texas. I just questioned it because the price seemed a little higher than I'm used to seeing for a 2wd, but the market is a lot different up here in NH.

Products Discussed in

To Top