1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Music dies when I plug something into the right power outlet... ideas??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by upthemaiden, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Feb 3, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Noticed something new the other day and I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what might be happening. My truck is a 2006 SR5, and about a week or two ago I noticed the USB adapters I had in both of my cigarette/power outlets stopped working. Tested them both out in my girlfriends car, realized the one that was in the left outlet is just dead, but the one in the right still works, so I tried a different adapter in my truck and figured out the left cigarette lighter still works, the right power outlet does not work. Weird that one outlet and one adapter both went at the same time, weird power surge or something? who knows, either way, not a huge deal, I could've messed with the wiring to sort that out(aside from the fact that that part of the dashboard panel looks like it will be a huge pain to get behind).

There's a weird part though. Aside from the outlet not doing anything, the radio and cd player still work perfectly normal. I installed a grom adapter about 2 years ago though so I could listen to music through my phone. When I'm listening to music through the grom adapter and plug something into the now non-working power outlet the stereo goes silent. I can put a usb adapter/cable in the outlet, but as soon as I plug my phone into it and the power is actually trying to run through it, no noise comes out, unplug my phone and the music kicks right back on....

That's the part that's got me confused. Something inside that power adapter must still be connected if the power affects something inside the stereo, but I have no idea why enough power doesn't get through to charge anything, or why it would ONLY do it through the grom adapter/audio input. I assume both of those outlets are hooked into the same fuse, and nothing else on the truck has stopped working.

My only guess is that somehow one of the cables for the grom adapter are coming in contact with a wire from the plug and shorting it out? Obviously the wires would need a bare part for them to affect each other. The grom adapter has no power source of it's own. It comes with a short wiring harness and you unplug your stereo, plug the grom cable into the stereo, and the original stereo wires into the other end of the grom wires, so maybe it's the tiny bit of power that's running through the 3.5mm audio cable? I'm really clueless, don't know a ton about electronics to begin with. Not afraid to dig into it myself, just hoping someone better suited might be able to give me some ideas or point me in the right direction.

2. Feb 4, 2014 at 5:08 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    Shorted. Pop out the radio and have a peek.

3. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.

Products Discussed in

To Top