1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I'm taking the MCAT in April--Front Bumper!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ClayCrusher, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Feb 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    ClayCrusher

ClayCrusher [OP] Texas Transplant Taco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM
    5100, OME 886 deaver 2" AAL, 1.5" Block Peacemaker deluxe front bumper, 20" led bar, sPOD with custom switches, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks, Procomp 7033
    Hello!

I'm pretty new to the forum, but I think I've been making a pretty good showing. I have a tow-rope thread going for a great deal to members...anyway--A little about myself:

I just graduated this past May from University of Maryland with a degree in Biology. My plan is to take the MCAT April 5, 2014 and then apply to 4 medical schools, 2 in MD and 2 in TX. My ultimate goal, is to get into Bethesda's Uniformed Services University. My plan is to go in the service (preferably NAVY, but I'm not stuck yet) and then go to med school and be a doc.

Studying is going to be brutal these next 8 weeks, so I thought I'd make a post about it. I ordered myself an HD Truckware (formerly Peacemaker Bumpers) deluxe off road 4" pipe/diamond plate bumper and they will be delivering it on APRIL 6, so I won't mess with it until the day after my test.

tacomabumper_5079c2ccb8d5e238cf4bf8728ece871863f0d9fe.jpg

I got the 2013 version and they're putting a Rigid 30" on there as well!

It's a reward to myself for the work I'll be putting in.

Any other Navy/Army docs out there? docs in general?

I'd love any support, prayers, and stories.

Thanks for being there TW!

2. Feb 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Hank4444

Hank4444 Member...?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Daphne
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport DCSB
    Dog-Proofed Rear seat, 5100's, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, Fog light mod, map light mod, DTRL mod, Volant CAI with ram air, UltraGauge, Blacked out emblems, extra D-rings, Bedlined front valance, Satoshi, Hella 500ff 55w HID, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Leather arm rests, Weathertechs, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Oil catch can, URD MAF Calibrator, Wheelers HD AAL, Thule Roof Rack, OME 885x with Lean Spacer, RedLine Hood struts, Access LE Tonneau, LED Bedrail lights,
    Welcome to TW!

Congrats on the BS degree and for setting your sights on higher education! Med school will be intense, and a lot of work.

I'm currently taking some med school classes as a part of my program (Doctorate of Nurse Anesthesia), and can say you will study every day to stay on top of everything. Physiology is probably the most intense from my standpoint, but doable for sure. A lot of information to apply to practice.

What type of physician do you want to be? Ortho, oncology, pediatrics, medicine, surgery, etc…

I had a friend that joined the Air Force and then went to med school basically for free (government paid). Granted she had to enlist for multiple years afterwards, but she is extremely happy about it. Lots of people do it, just make sure you discuss everything with a medical recruiter.

I have been talking to the Army about enlisting to help pay this ridiculous bill known as graduate education, and I wouldn't mind traveling the world some.

Study hard for the MCAT, physics sucks!

3. Feb 4, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I'm doing the same thing, well have already done most of the prep work (took MCAT last June). I am going the Army or Air Force route, going after their respective medical scholarships. I've been a military kid for the majority of my life, and somewhere within the past few years I developed a big desire to serve for at least some amount of time if not make a career out of it.

Anyways, best of luck with the MCAT. Study your ass off. A good resource is Student Doctor Forums. Lots of info over there, just dodge all the gloom and doom bullshit and you will find some real helpful tips. That bumper is going to be a damn sweet reward. Studying for the MCAT does become a full time job. I felt like I was going off to work everyday I started studying. Pace yourself and set specific goals and you WILL succeed.

If you have any questions I will definitely be glad to answer.

Somewhere out there (probably StudentDoctorForums member) said something along the lines of "the MCAT is not an obstacle, but the next step to achieving your goal." I felt like that was a good outlook on things. Heavy studying is rough and it helps big time to have a positive mindset on why you are doing it.

4. Feb 4, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4x4 Silver Sky
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    Nice Bumper!

5. Feb 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    mashir

mashir Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    OME BP-51 full kit, SPC UCAs, FJ TRD Trail Team wheels in black, 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, All-Pro aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, Slee Off-Road silders and rear tire carrier bumper, Rigid and BD lighting, Baja Rack roof rack, Bruteforce Fab bed cage, CVT RTT
    Hey guys,

Glad to see there's a medical presence here! OP, best of luck man, keep pushing hard. I'm new here too, newer I'd say, but it's an awesome community. Thanks for contributing!

I'm a 4th year med student, the fun never stops, haha. If you're looking for study resources I liked Kaplan's books and practice tests.

I'm definitely more than happy to give any support I can, man. Feel free to PM or reply!

Also Josh, Brian, congrats and keep it all up too guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top