1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Tow rope" vs. "Recovery strap" and hardware

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by jaymoussy, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    jaymoussy

jaymoussy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA, US
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC Base 2.7l 4a
    I will be taking my ride to moderate beach ORV this year, and the local authorities requires "tow rope, 1400 lbs strength, 14 ft. min, 3/4 nylon or 3/4 polypro rope"

Three questions:

I see many heavy-duty, fancy recovery straps here, but my needs are much less demanding, I think.
    Suggestions?

I did read that the tow ropes with the metal hooks at ends are frown upon by some as dangerous.
    True?

Proper anchor points would be front "hook" and the towing hitch, correct?

I did not quite find that in the Stickies, I think... and I had the truck for 6 days, so i need to look around...!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    For sand you'll definitely want a recovery strap. They have some stretch in them to allow the other vehicle to gain some momentum without jerking and causing extreme stresses. I'd look for 1 in the 30' range. Something like THIS makes a great attachment point.

3. Feb 1, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. Feb 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I could be wrong but I think you can save money by not buying a shackle for the hitch receiver. Just run the pin in the receiver through the loop at the end of your recovery strap.

5. Feb 3, 2014 at 6:05 AM
    jaymoussy

jaymoussy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA, US
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC Base 2.7l 4a
    Bump for answer on hooks end versus loop end on tow line...

What I read was the if the tow line disengages, the hook part would go flying.

My vehicle will be able to take the loop end, but what about the towing vehicle?

6. Feb 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    VATACOEXP

VATACOEXP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    82 Hilux Flatbed.
    I won't tow anyone that has a hook on their strap. Laziness and stupidity will get someone hurt eventually

7. Feb 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Hell no on hooks. You don't want to put anything in the recovery setup that can possibly fly. That hook isn't rated for tugging very hard and there is a definite chance of it flying and killing someone. Same with a towball, never tug on a tow ball, there are verifiable stories of them killing people when used like this.

You can use the TRD OFF ROAD hook on the front and you can stick it into the hitch and use the pin. Or buy a quality shackle mount and run a Crosby, Columbus Mckinnen, or Warn 3/4 screw pin shackle.

I would order a quality strap without hooks, probably 20' length. Wheelers Off Road has some nice ones for a decent price, I have 4 of them.

I've also used the lower cost straps from like a farm ranch supply store, served me well for a long time. Just make sure it has a high enough load rating and NO hooks.

3" wide strap from wheeler's:
    These straps are continuous duty rated at 13,500 lbs, the material itself is rated at 27,000 lbs break strength.

compare to ARB Shoot for something around there.

8. Feb 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    As others have said, I highly recommend not ever using a tow strap for a vehicle that is stuck.

I had always used a tow strap, now I have an ARB recovery strap and it's completely different and much safer!

9. Feb 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I agree with the ARB recovery strap. They have a 20% stretch feature. The ProComp link does not mention if they stretch at all. My old Smitty strap is really frayed, so I'm about to get one of the ARB straps.

If you can afford it, there is a "Viking" recovery ROPE. 3/4" diameter round rope with 19,000 pound rating, that stretches 30%. About $130 :eek:
    With this, you could conceivably use a snatch block.

10. Feb 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    I have the ARB strap that Max mentioned earlier in this thread. It's 30' and has saved my ass a couple times. It is a snatch style so it gives a little and stretches. Works great just is $$$$ You can get the Wheelers for cheaper.

11. Feb 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    I am a firm believer in Recovery Straps. I have used mine more times than most probably (pulling out other people of course). Due to the stretch, they allow you to drive hard into the strap without the harsh repercussions of a chain or cable. Our straps are Made in the USA, and come with a Cordura Slider to protect the strap, which is nice if you have to pull over a rock or against a tree.

12. Feb 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    LikeABoss4x4

LikeABoss4x4 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    So Cal
    ^^That is a great price from Wheeler's. I've always just used the cheaper Pro Comp 20,000-lb straps since all Nylon straps seem to get beat up a lot in the rocks. TJM is another brand to consider for those looking at the ARBs, both Australian companies.

Products Discussed in

To Top