1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions needed.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoFella, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM
    TacoFella

TacoFella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SC
    I am looking at buying a Tacoma again. (had a double Cab TRD OR 2WD)

Don't need 4WD. Don't want another Double Cab. I would rather have the longer bed. I have a couple I am looking at. I am selling an Infiniti EX35 next week and taking the money to buy (Either another Infiniti G37) or Tacoma. Yeah I love Infinitis but I have to be real and select only one. I am 59 years old and still love performance cars> but The Truck is far more practical (if a lot less fun) for home ownership and the new ones seem to be better but I really don't know. Mine was an 08. Wife on her second RAV so we like the Toyota brand (except for their luxury division and their too cushy Lexus) For Luxury I like Infiniti's way.

In any case here are two I can get the TRD for $24200 plus tax and the SR5 for $22900 plus tax....

I don't really need the Locker Never used it on my old truck. It has been sitting at the dealership since JUNE 2013!! So I think I may get it for $24,000 Plaus $300 sales Tax. It only has ONE set of keys though and likely was a repo. Toyota wants $200 for another set with remote and programming.

http://stevensondirect.com/Wilmingt...eRunner-TRD-OFFROAD-EVP-White-Truck/22202350/

The 2013 here seems like the better deal especially since it has the tow package without the TRD wheels.shocks, locker, skid plates etc. but does have the heavy duty tow package (alt,battery,transmission cooler) and I think the radio is better being a touch screen but am not sure.

http://www.charlestonsubaru.com/use...eston-sc-ad61e63a0a0a000205a17ed3f4ad4a64.htm

So which would you choose.........???

Oh and here is the Infiniti
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...][]]&listingId=364430823&listingIndex=4&Log=0

and What I have a sale pending on is this...

20130926_131519.jpg

2. Feb 8, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I'd go for the '13. As you stated you don't need the locker or anything. And you won't have to worry about getting a spare key.

3. Feb 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    The picture of the '12 is misleading or the description is incorrect. The description says it has steel wheels; the picture looks to me to have alloys. That isn't particularly important, tho. Between the two, I would pick the '13. It appears to fit your needs better. I haven't quibbled with a dealer on a Toyota for a while, but it seems to me that you should be able to beat those prices by more than a couple hundred. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. Feb 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    There was a disclaimer on the ad that stated pictures might not be the actual vehicle. OP, I've had my '13 Access Cab since September, and although it's a 4 cylinder, I absolutely love it. It drives really nice and plenty of room.

5. Feb 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    I would go for the 13'. I don't like used vehicles with only one key. Had a bad experience once… Anyway on the 13 you are getting fairly close to the price of a new one. I payed 28000 for my double cap 4x4 sr5. If your looking for an extended cab pre runner I think you could probably wheel and deal to around 24K on a new truck. Just a thought.

6. Feb 8, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Why not get the G37 and then get a beater truck? Just an idea.

7. Feb 8, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    Funny... I just traded an '11 G37S Limited Edition for my truck. It was my 2nd G and my wife drives a '12 ES 350. Luxuriates your ass as you drive it, but can't touch Infiniti for performance. I agree... Infiniti for performance, Lexus for luxury.

Neither of them for hauling or towing stuff. ;)

Oh, and full disclosure... I miss my car already. Bad. I'd get the G.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. Feb 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    TacoFella

TacoFella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SC

http://southeast.buyatoyota.com/tacoma?gclid=CIaD3e7hv7wCFW1nOgodxRQAAg#vin=5TFTU4GN0EX10A757 How do I get to $24K on this ?

One key = repo in my experience. Carfax confirmed.

I did see the truck and it is a TRD V6 with 13K. Seems to me Access cabs are not all that popular. All I see for sale are DCSBs. That Short bed is not good for much IMO. Its a truck= itys all about the bed and carrying stuff. I would not offer more than $23500 for that truck. Dealer says he has $24500 in it. Maybe last June it was worth that on a trade but I seriously doubt it Especially not having both sets of keys which yes is telling. 13k miles is nice but 22K is not bad for someone who only puts 5-6K a year on their vehicle.

The EX35 is a pleasure to drive. But the 3.5 397HP engine is old, the Transmission does not have the seven speed providing a luscious 27 MPG on the highwat for a 328HP car. It only has 32K and I am getting more than I paid for it last Summer. So its a "now or never" decision.

I could buy an old truck but I figured I could rent a truck the few times I need one if I went with the G 37......That is more an emotional call than practical one. The truck will get far less fuel economy but it will run on unleaded.

I won't worry about where I park a truck or leaving it outside the garage. Like I would the car. So thats a point for the truck. The 2013 seems like a great deal if I can get it for $2000 less than I am getting for the car. I can gussy it up a bit with a bed cover, wheels and some powder coated side steps. I don't need the TRD. It doesn't snow here and I don't go "mudding" with the locals LOL.

Thanks for all your responses. I will look at the 13 Monday. If my car falls though I will probably keep it if both trucks are gone and this baby has been sold. Going to offer him $22800 for it if i decided to go this route. The power and tech of these cars is like a drug.....Thats why I can go with a truck because it is SOOOO different. I could not buy a Chevy after owning an Infiniti.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...][]]&listingId=364430823&listingIndex=1&Log=0

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  9. Feb 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    TacoFella

TacoFella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SC
    Yeah I understand your pain and my car is still in my driveway....I can still back out. Going to Infiniti tomorrow for a squeaking radiator fan....$1100 under warranty....dayaaam. If I keep it i would but the 3/36 Elite 0 deductible VSC for $900 from Scottsdale Infiniti...The one I linked to has plenty of factory left.

10. Feb 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    TacoFella

TacoFella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SC
    A Beater truck will cost $4000 or more and I would only buy a Taco.

11. Feb 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    TacoFella

TacoFella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SC
    I would rather use those figures to get the 13 cheaper. I hate "new" depreciation. Long term VSCs are so cheap (from guys like Jerry Johnson) on the Tacomas they are not worth buying new IMO. I would rather save $4000 and buy a 13 than buy a new 14. Plus Where i live theire are only four dealers within 100 miles. Not enough competition and i HATE South East Toyota and the greedy Moran family. they throw up to $900 worth of shine, scotch guard, mats and window tinting on the Marohony sticker!!! I would probably look outside the SE for a new one.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  12. Feb 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    TacoFella

TacoFella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    SC
    13 was a mess. Scratched up/Not taken care of at all...scratched bed sides and tailgate, bed looks like he carried rocks...

Found this one but the seller has a $20K lien with TFS and I am paying cash. He wants $23500 bottom line but I really don't know how to pay cash for a vehicle with a known lein (and could have unknown liens). Seems complicated.

$23500 is a great deal though. Wish he had the title.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...][]]&listingId=362420822&listingIndex=3&Log=0

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top