1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual transmission is low on fluid directly from factory

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lloyd, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Feb 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    lloyd

lloyd [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma Access 2.7
    HID headlights, LED interior lights, Hella and stock HID foglights, Hella HID driving lights, backup camera, Wiper mod, cruise control mod, higher rate springs , X- runner Rear rollbar and x-brace, K&N air filter, Amsoil in trans and diff, EBC yellow stuff pads pads, stainless brake lines, 18x8 40mm wheels with 235 55r 18 tires, oil cooler with remote big oil filter
    I have a 2013 Access cab with a manual transmission. I drained the transmission and diff fluid at 2,000 miles to put in synthetic. Both were a quart low. I did not spill any when I drained it. I took out the fill plugs first and could not touch oil in either one it was so low.

You might want to check your fluid levels

2. Feb 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Wow... good to know. You'd think proper lube levels would be kinda important to QC but apparently not to certain people.

They were trying to make your transmission sound like mine! Good thing you caught it early.

3. Feb 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Not only are we finding the automatic low but the manual as well ?
    People , dont trust your dealers to check the fluids when you purchase your trucks .
    Learn to check the fluids on your own .

4. Feb 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    This goes to the quality of the technician responsible for the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). When I was at Cadillac my good friend was the PDI guy. His sole job there was to verify deliveries, check for damages off the truck, and then each vehicle went through a comprehensive inspection, with a paperwork checklist. He was VERY thorough in his inspections. It is sad to see that Toyota is not doing a good job on their PDIs.

5. Feb 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  6. Feb 12, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    G17GUY

G17GUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
  7. Feb 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I couldnt have said it better than this ^^^^^^^

8. Feb 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I think I'll leave this here:

par·a·noi·a
    ˌparəˈnoiə/
    noun
    noun: paranoia

a mental condition characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance, typically elaborated into an organized system. It may be an aspect of chronic personality disorder, of drug abuse, or of a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which the person loses touch with reality.

9. Feb 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    Keep an eye on that my truck, 2013 2.7 access cab 5 speed 4x4, the trans was making a hellish whining sound at 4000 miles. I took it back they said there was no fluid in the trans. Turns out when they assembled the truck the rear seal got knocked and all the fluid was going into the cavity between the trans and transfer case.

10. Feb 13, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    My 09 automatic which I bought 9 months ago started slipping so I took it to the dealer to be fixed under warranty.
    The dealer said it was a quart and a half low when they checked it. They said there were no leaks and it probably came from the factory like that. I was the second person to come in with this problem. The other was two quarts low.
    After two attempts of filling it to the correct level,pressure testing the lines and flashing the memory they decided to replace the trans with a brand new one. So far so good .

11. Feb 13, 2014 at 8:16 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    While I see the point you are trying to make, you know darn good and well that Toyota does not pay $5 per quart. MAYBE they pay $0.50 per quart when they buy that much. When I looked at buying Valvoline oil in bulk for my shop, the purchase price was $0.65 per quart, if I bought 250 gallons. But the same oil by the quart was $5.75.

So really, even if they DID sell 9.75 million vehicles, the savings would be $4.8 million, not $48 million. Yes, still a sizable amount. HOWEVER when the vehicles come in to the dealership they are supposed to be fully inspected and the fluids topped off then, which would STILL cost them the money in fluid. So the mentality that they intentionally leave every vehicle a quart low on fluid holds no weight. The ACTUAL fault is at the dealerships themselves, who are failing in these cases to do a proper PDI. So not the fault of corporate Toyota, but the dealerships that fail to do the proper PDI.

Yes, I know, mark it on the calender. I am ripping on the dealerships for a change. lmao.

12. Feb 13, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I took the PDI emod when i was in school, i don't remember anything about checking fluid levels. Thats messed up that they're selling new trucks with low fluid...

13. Feb 13, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    bw4706

bw4706 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
    Bilstein 6112's , Eibach Coils,Hankook Dyna Pro MT 265/75/16, SPC UCA's, General Spring HD leaf packs, De-Badged, Ranch Bed Cap, Mag Light Seat Mount driver and passenger, Mini Mag Console Mount,Hard wired GPS, LED's in and out, MB TKO Wheels, After market grill, Heated seats, Diff breather relocation mod, LED Under Hood Lighting, LED Bed Lights, Aux. LED Reverse Lights, 30" L.E.D. Light Bar, Redline Tuning Hood Struts & EZ Down Tailgate. 6 Circuit Aux. Fuse Panel W/Circuit Breaker. Front & Rear Facing DVR cameras, High Lift Jack Bed Rail Mount. Clazio Leather Seat Covers. All Pro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, 4x4 illuminated switch mod, Ignition converted to Push to Start. Bushwacker fender flares, Cali Raised side projector ditch lights. Cali Raised L.E.D. fog lights. 3 x 3 L.E.D. rear spotlights , Anzo headlights and taillights.
    I was told by the dealer , As far as the P D I , They do not check the fluid levels.

14. Feb 14, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

That is strange. Maybe a Toyota thing then? Every dealer I worked at the fluid levels were always checked and topped off on new AND used car PDIs.

Products Discussed in

To Top