1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rugged Cover Folding Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by kris77, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Anyone have one of these?

http://www.ruggedliner.com/product-rugged-cover.php

Saw one on a truck in the parking lot this morning and it looked pretty nice. Not sure how weatherproof it would be though.

Did a little more research...

Looks EXACTLY like the Extang Trifecta...Trying to decide which one to get...Rugged cover is cheaper...Anyone have the website where they got their Extang? Cheapest i found it was $386 free shipping.

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I've got the rugged cover. Honestly I would spend a little more for a better tonneau cover. It is cheaper, but mine has not really held up well in the year that I have had it. I had another brand of a trifold cover on my 04 that was cheap and held up great but I can't remember the name, sorry.

3. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    I just put a Lorado Tonneau Cover on my truck and I like it alot. It seems to get really good reviews and it rolls up out of the way when you need to haul something.

IMG_4492_3c0e8d65104ba0aa35959a772746b9eeb61d6e3b.jpg

IMG_4490_8306e265ffc76f8b6ee3f9268c133d98bd56ba11.jpg

4. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    kris77

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Thats my dilema...Roll up or fold up...Cant decide...It will mainly be ON the truck...Only probably twice or 3 times a month would i have it off to haul something...I still want to be able to use my tie downs...So i was thinking of a fold up...

I just thought it might be easier to fold it up if i want to stuff the bed full of luggage and then fold it back down...MAybe it would be eaiser to roll it up and load the bed down...I dont know...Cant make up my mind....

I had a hard tonneau on my old truck that weighed about 200 lbs and i couldnt take it off by myself and it was a pain...

Decisions Decisions..

5. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    I have the two factory tie downs in the rear of the bed, I also installed the d-rings in the front of the bed on the side (Toyota's recommended spot) and then two more tie downs in the front of the bed on the rail system. I figured between the 6 tie down spots I have I should be able to tie down anyting I will ever haul.

I paid $340 for this cover and that included shipping, it was sitting on my doorstep in two days from the time it was ordered. It also has a lifetime warranty and adjusters to tighten the cover if it gets loose and it also has straps to secure it when it's rolled up.

oh and.......Let's go Mountaineer's

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    I got it. Was on the truck when I bought it. No complaints. Easy to fold. Regarding weatherproofness, I have found it is not 100% weatherproof, but it does a darn good job. Been through doozie of thunderstorms and such and all there was were 3 small trickles of water down the bed. Didn't even reach the tailgate. No complaints here at all, though I haven't experience with any other products.

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Access LE cover... best price around - Luke @ truck alterations has the BEST price around.

You can still use your tie downs, cover rolls out of the way in seconds, no need to take it off and store it somewhere else when you need the whole bed. :D

Maybe not 100% waterproof, but pretty darn close.

8. Aug 5, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    kris77

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    How is this cover attached? Velcro? What if it gets dirty? Will it no longer stick? I haul dirt and gravel about once a month.

9. Aug 5, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.

the velcro is on the outside of the bed - so shouldn't get dirty. The cover is held in by the back end snapping into a slot on rails that you mount to your bed (behind the channels). The velcro is there to secure the sides to prevent it from blowing in the wind.

http://truckalterations.com/html/access.html call Luke and ask him your questions. He should be able to answer them, better than I can. And if you decide to get one from him, tell him you are a member of TW for better pricing.

I haven't had a problem with mine getting dirty...

10. Aug 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    suthn2

suthn2 Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner, TRD Off road 4x2
    Cat-back borla dual exhaust, trd cold air intake
    Doea anyone have any knowelege and experience with a trifold brand named Patriot, as I have founf them to be the better price on ebay and such

Thank you
    John

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
    I've had the Rugged Cover on mine for 1 1/2 years and have had no problems. I use 303
    on it and it stills looks great. I've not noticed and water at all inside the bed.

12. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I have an Access Limited Roll up (basically the same as Rachunter's) and I've hauled lots of topsoil and gotten lots of dirt in the velcro. Sprayed water and it came right off...

13. Dec 7, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    nacedoyle

nacedoyle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Gret value for the money looks great and reasonable price. Called their customer support and they were very resonsive. Fits perfect on my Taco and installs in munites.

14. Dec 7, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    don't get the rugged. definitely get the lorado roll up, i have it also. awesome cover, mounts better than the rugged fold up. has adjustable tensioners, locks in track in the back, and as rachunter said, when you roll it up, it takes up less space compacted than a folding one, and has straps you can clip in to secure the roll. super easy.

15. Feb 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    oZmonKey

oZmonKey Big Metal Hubajube

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Black 98
    Unknown Spacer Lift.
    I picked up the Rugged Cover this morning.

I returned the Rugged Cover this afternoon.

I was not happy with the overall fit/finish. While it did cover the bed, it's fit only seemed approximate. I don't have any other tonneau experience to compare this with though. I just couldn't like it on my truck, so I took it back.

And for those paying attention to these kind of things, it's manufactured in China

Products Discussed in

To Top