1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blowing Dome fuse... 2000 Taco SR5 V6.. help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mauricefm, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    Mauricefm

Mauricefm [OP] 00MoeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Athens GA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 V6
    Pioneer, bazooka rs10, kenwood / Rockford fosgate amps, Polk audio 6.5 in the doors/rear
    I've been chasing this for a few days now. Is there a common cause for this? Thanks in advance...

2. Feb 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    Sounds like the hot wire to the dome is shorted out on something,dome lights come on when the switch in the door jam grounds.maybe you can remove dome light assembly and see if it's grounding out there.

3. Feb 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    bsb120

bsb120 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD SPORT
    if im not mistaking the door trigger is (-), meaning when the door opens the trigger sends ground to the domelight, also keep in mind there is numerous things that fuse protects, pull off both your door panels and check the wires going up to the little red light on the panel. hope this helps

4. Feb 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    Mauricefm

Mauricefm [OP] 00MoeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Athens GA
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer, bazooka rs10, kenwood / Rockford fosgate amps, Polk audio 6.5 in the doors/rear
    Thanks guys...! I'm pretty busy during the week, so I won't get to this again until Saturday. Given that the door triggers are negative, does it tell you anything to know that the fuse blows upon insertion, with nothing on and the doors closed? Are there many positive wires that could be touching ground some how?

5. Feb 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Had the exact same problem on another vehicle I was working on. Chased it for days. A constant positive wire was attached to the blue memory wire on a new radio install. Connection was not insulated well enough and rubbed on the body under the dashboard. Key and light switches off, doors closed, put a fuse in the box and poof! Once that wire was connected properly, no more blown fuses and the domes worked as advertised.

I had it all apart, touched that bad connection to the body and shoved a fuse in and it would pop. Pull the connection away from the body and shove a new fuse in and it didn't pop and hasn't to this day.

I started out checking all of the grounds first, which were good or made better, then moved on to digging deeper.

6. Feb 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    bsb120

bsb120 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD SPORT
    so its blowing when when inserted with the doo closed? although It is possible because the wires routed to the dome light and others that are on the same fuse are constant meaning power all the time so if said wire(s) are touching ground when the fuse is inserted it imediatle explodes

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    Mauricefm

Mauricefm [OP] 00MoeTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Athens GA
    Vehicle:
    Well, Mod... U called it! I finally got to this thing. I didn't want to admit that it was my install, but err, it was...(blast!). To anyone else who may read this thing - if you use the liquid insulator like I do/did, this time it bit me. The cont. wire (yellow) was soldered, but pinched and melted near the heater duct right at my connection. Btw.... Thanks 2 all who cared enough to respond.... Much appreciated.... !
    .image.jpg

8. Feb 16, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I would expect that.
    Since the dome is switched on the grounded side, we know the short is between the fuse and the light itself (or something else tied to the fuse), so removing the dome light completely, the fuse would still blow as soon as it is inserted.

Quite a few vehicle lighting systems are wired using a switched-ground.
    1st Gen headlights are wired the same way and it causes issues when installing HID systems.

9. Feb 16, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    That's the best news I've heard all day. Congrats!

10. Feb 17, 2014 at 4:41 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Well,,ehhh, your not alone. Mine was a install I did a few years back and I went the heat shrink tube route, non insulated crimp connector and solder. A tiny pointy solder spur had worked it's way thru the 3M heat shrink tube and made connection to the floorboards. Probably a 1/2 to 1 millimeter exposed piece of solder that eventually touched.

Was paid for the job,he put the money in my hand,,and I handed it right back.

If a person solders connections,,make sure you have a smooth surface to shrink tube around on,,no pointed projections pulled from a puddle of solder. I have changed my tactics as of late,:eek: and now double heat tube the connection and found some higher content silver solder that flows like it should.

Switched grounds have been around a long time,,for door cab lights, ect. 60 year old GM iron has those, your PC does as well. A person needs to be conscientious of constant hots they may add or come across. Some bad Voodoo there,,if you don't get it right.

Products Discussed in

To Top