1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ceiling speaker ideas

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Krazj, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    Krazj

Krazj [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    mid mid west
    Vehicle:
    09 X runner Barcelona Red
    cab height camper shell
    Ok heres the deal. the 2in ??? pos speakers they put in my X blow:confused:. my plan is, once the wife is cool with it ( or out of town;)) i will be replacing them with planar tweets from B&G [​IMG]
    there 3.5 in long 2.5 wide and 1/2 in deep ill have to make some kind of a mounting bracket and than softly drill out vents in the headliner for air to escape or as it were sound to get to my ears(hello toyota). ill cross them over at 1KHz making them sort of a mid they run at 20watts rms and sound awesome there used in high end hifi setups and not that expencive and pretty hard to blow i ran one at 80w(20 watts over peak) for about 9 hrs once with a wide range of music and its still tweeting fine. they make all sizes of them this is the smallest the make one thats 75 in long but there spendy the 3 in is about $40 so there fairly cheap.

these are extremly directional so youll want to point them right at your head.

Im planning on putting Vifa 6.5 in the doors and Vifa silkdome tweets
    to match. under the front seats im mounting a 8 in tactile transucer directly to the seat to feel the bass without the super boom outside the truck. ill be putting a pair of 8 in subs in the rear doors fro the boom im not sure what brand ill use but probly JL or Polk. once the process starts ill start posting pics of the how to. head unit and amps still undecided. leaning tward the kenwood DNX6140. in witch case ill have to work out a center channel in the dash a small coaxial damn its gonna hurt to cut up a beautfull truck but i gotta have my tunes sounding right.

ps. you can find most of the stuff i listed at partsexpress.com they sell alot of CRAP but they carry some awesome stuff to

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I think there are much better options than the BG Planar tweeters. As you said, they are EXTREMELY directional and aren't really intended for car use. My friend tried some in his accord and didn't like them.

PS: Partsexpress sells more awesome stuff than crap. I love that place.

3. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I wonder if partsexpress sells punctuation; because you seem to be running low.

I agree with ItalynStylion; planar speakers, while intrinsically awesome, are not very good in a mobile application. They are extremely directional and extremely sensitive to placement. I actually tried to mount some in a kick panel for a buddy once and it was impractical to get them to image right due to the differences in distance. They have a very small sweet spot that, when you are in it, is the best of any type of driver I know. But when you are not in that exact spot, they fall off dramatically.

It is a cool idea, and I applaud you for it. I just don't think you are going to get very good acoustic results.

4. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    Krazj

Krazj [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    mid mid west
    Vehicle:
    cab height camper shell
    after seeing the headliner off, i guess i might try just running another pair of 6.5in vifa in the rear doors, and the silk domes in the head liner. but i love my planars, and since i already have them it wont cost me to try.i bought 10 of the 3's and 8 of the 8's for some home projects.

5. Aug 5, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Why are you putting speakers in the back anywhere?

6. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    Krazj

Krazj [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    mid mid west
    Vehicle:
    cab height camper shell
    Movies...movies that go BOOM. I'll also be gaming from it when out of town, can't go to long without my FSX

7. Aug 5, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I still don't think you really need to get wild with the configuration back there to be perfectly honest. What are your goals for the project? Tell me a little more about what you're trying to accomplish and maybe I could offer some advice.

8. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    Krazj

Krazj [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    mid mid west
    Vehicle:
    cab height camper shell
    nothing crazy just new drivers in the front and rear to match, replacing the sub and adding some shake to my seat. the wife said she don't want that thing in her seat so just one tactile transducer. i like the idea of celing tweets. I'll repost when i have time to star modding. Aug is hell month for us cable guys all the students come to town and need there tv and internet GO KU Rock chalk Jayhawk.but ill glady take any advice you may have.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top