1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I fit 285/75/R16 with my setup?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Poolstick, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Feb 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    Poolstick

Poolstick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry.. I know this has been hashed a lot, and I've spent the last 2-3 hours trying to find a straight answer, but I'm struggling. I currently run 265/75/R16s with no mud flaps, FJ TRD wheels, and have never had them rub.

I bought my truck used, and from what I can tell, the 5100's are set at 1.75. I can see the second notch lining up with farthest bottom of the plate, and the 3rd notch is hidden - my best guess is 1.75 based on the diagram I saw. I was also told there was an AAL in the back, but no idea what brand or how big. Any way to figure this out?

In any case - if I do the cab mount chop, can I run 285/75/R16's? I don't particularly want to trim the flares, but I'm fine trimming anything inside the wheel well (within reason). I don't do a ton of off-roading, but would like to know that I can articulate without rubbing. Sway bar isn't removed, and probably never will be.

I did see one thread where a guy was running the exact same setup as me, but with an OME lift. How much more lift does he have? Is that going to make a huge difference?

My Duratracs are on their last legs at about 55k miles, and I want to buy another set, but would love to put on the 285's if I'm going to spend $1000 on tires.

Edit: This picture is with my lift before the FJ wheels, if that helps anyone determine what my 5100's are set at..

541600_4777896376530_1858434356_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. Feb 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    duratracs in 285 are an E load tire, harsher ride and heavier.

the 285 isn't even a true 33" its more like a 32.7" which may seem marginal but helps with reducing trimming. I'd say you'll be able to run them on the streets just fine but might run into issues when fully flexed or turning completely but nothing that beating on some shit and cutting some plastic won't fix.

I'd also check the backspacing on the FJ wheels. if its lower than 5" you should be golden.

3. Feb 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    Poolstick

Poolstick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks! Does anyone else have any personal experience with 5100's and 285s? I really want to make sure I can make it work before spending that much on tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top