1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clarification on OME 3in lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SC4x4, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Feb 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    SC4x4

SC4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Felton
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road
    2in lift, Black Emblems, Big Foot tires, Appradio,
    Hey everyone, about to purchase a OME 3in lift kit from the Toytec website. I just wanted to make sure I am buying everything i need to get a 3in lift all around.

885 Coils
    Front Top Plate Spacer
    Diff Drop Kit
    Dakar Leaf Pack or 2in AAL ( Is the Dakar worth it?
    No rear shock stone guard ( I have no idea what this is)

I really wanna make sure i do this lift right the first time, and i cant really find any information about the Dakar leaf pack compared to the 2in AAL. I will also be purchasing UCA so my alignment doesn't get to out of whack. Any information and/or tips would really help. Thanks everyone!

2. Feb 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    BudMan

BudMan knee scooters R us

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    Welcome! Same lift I recently installed. Bough from Toytec as well. If I were you, I'd pay for Toytec to assemble the coils. Otherwise you will need to buy new strut mounts and either pay to have them assembled or deal with a spring compressor. Toytec will set you up with extended stud mounts to fit your top plate spacer. You would pay more than $100 for all this yourself and have to deal with the assembly. It comes bolt on ready from Toytec if you have them assemble.

Most people will tell you the diff drop is unnecessary on 2nd gens. All it does is rotate the diff, drop maybe 1/8 inch. Some front diffs have met their match with the drop. I did not diff drop. Look into the needle bearing upgrade from ECGS.

I went with the Dakars and love em. The AAL will eventually wear out with the saggy Toyota leafs. Do it right the first time and get the Dakars. And you are set up way better for towing/hauling/offroading. I bought the carrier bearing drop and didn't install it. I am 99% vibration free. I had a small takeoff vibration that went away when I re-torqued my u-bolts after install. Make sure you tighten evenly from top left to bottom right to bottom left to top right. Google the stone guards, I think they are unnecessary and didn't get them.

I did my front without any top plate spacers and got 2.5. If you want 3, get the spacer. Also look into the 5mm driver trim packer to level out the "taco lean" (battery, driver, gas tank all on driver side, tends to ride lower than passenger side).

Good luck with your setup! I love mine. Just ran the first trail since install, it was awesome!

3. Feb 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM
    99civ

99civ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    OME 885x w/Dakars - HIDs - Husky Mudflaps - LED Dome/Map/Reverse Lights - Illuminated 4x4 switch
    ^ That pretty well covered everything. One thing you may want to consider is adding a center pin head extender on the Dakar's if you choose to get them (which I would recommend) so that if you end up with driveline vibes you can shim the rear axle without pulling everything apart again. Other than that your list looks good! I have the exact same thing going in once my 1/4" top plate arrives

4. Feb 16, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

:thumbsup:

5. Feb 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM
    ATLien

ATLien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    Money Pit
    I saw on another thread that if you want to avoid the spacer, you can get the 887 coils, which are the same spring rate as the 885's, but are 5mm longer. They're for the 4 runner, but work with Taco's as well. Something you might want to consider. I'd recommend a new leaf pack over an AAL if you put any weight in the back or tow.

6. Feb 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    This pretty much sums it up. I'd make sure to get the Carrier Bearing drop for the drive shaft. I didn't install the front diff drop either. You also want the trim packer for the Taco lean on the drivers side. I had Toytec assemble mine also and it was purely bolt in. Save yourself the trouble of assembling them and having to buy parts or disassemble your stock shocks to get the parts for them.

The Dakars are well worth what they cost. The AAL is a bandaid for the stock springs which yours being an 06 are probably worn out anyway.

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    SC4x4

SC4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Felton
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks everyone for the replies! much appreciated, ill post some before and after pictures of what the results look like! Having the minimum skills, and the right tools could i install all of this? or am i better off having a shop do this?

8. Feb 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    BudMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    Hardest part of the install (IMHO) was the UCA bolt. Had to bend the inner fender, remove the battery, and tap it out past the fender with a crow bar and mallet. Installing the UCA was a bitch because the inner washers had VERY little clearance around the mounts. i had to hold (force) them on with both hands and have a buddy slide the bolt (in reverse) to hold them in. I tried for awhile myself, only to get frustrated and call some reinforcements. It was all pretty plug and play, though. I would recommend doing yourself (with a buddy) and saving the $400-500, which is about what UCA would cost.

A good set of wrenches, sockets, torque wrench, and a buddy should get-er-done. There is a mod day the 22nd in Sacramento, you could prob get help from people MUCH more knowledgeable and capable than myself. I would check out the thread and see if people are willing to do the install that day (coils must be assembled).
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/no...144-sacto-mod-day-meet-greet-feb-22nd-15.html

9. Feb 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    I would recommend install first without the carrier bearing drop and let the lift settle for a short period of time while you observe for vibes. If you don't experience any vibes, no need to install the CBD. I personally did not need mine. Start with the minimum number of variables when you install the lift and if you experience vibes, there are threads here that will help you troubleshoot in a deliberate manner.

Oh, and X2 regarding the Dakars.

10. Feb 16, 2014 at 9:23 PM
    BudMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    Forgot to mention extended rear brake lines. If you plan on flexing out the suspension, the stock lines may stretch and break. It would be shitty to break a brake line anywhere, but especially on the trail. If you do the install yourself, be careful of the front brake and abs lines. When you disconnect the upper ball joint, tie off the spindle so it doesn't hang and stretch the brake and abs lines.

11. Feb 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    Smar969905

Smar969905 ToyotaLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    96 Dodge 12valve cummins- mine, 16 T4R - wife's, 11 Taco - totalled
    i saw a pic of a guy with the dakar leaf pack on his truck with the bed full of 10 foot 6x6 posts, and the back end didn't look like it was squatting at all. replace the entire leaf pack. don't bother adding an extra leaf or 2.

I read up a little on this setup and if you plan to have a heavy front end (plate bumper, winch, steel front skid, etc), then get the 886 coils. somebody else said the 887 above as well. the 886 i am pretty sure is the same height as the 885, but has a stiffer spring.

I would suggest getting on board with a mod meet, and have people there help you. it is possible, safe, and relatively easy to remove a spring without a spring compressor. this trick is courtesy of Benson_X. break the lug nuts loose while the wheels are on the ground. lift the truck and place a jack stand under the frame like you normally would to pull a tire and do any work under the truck. remove the wheels to get access to the suspension. put the jack under the LCA and lift to tension the spring, but not to the point where it starts to lift the truck off the jack stand. loosen and remove nuts holding the front suspension in place from the top. slowly and carefully lower the wheel back down. the shock/spring is now loose, and you can remove it to replace it with another one.

12. Feb 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

You mean this dickhead ?

[​IMG]

13. Feb 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    BudMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    Richard Cranium, it is you!

14. Feb 17, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    Smar969905

Smar969905 ToyotaLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    96 Dodge 12valve cummins- mine, 16 T4R - wife's, 11 Taco - totalled
    that is exactly what i was talking about numbnuts.

15. Feb 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    SC4x4

SC4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Felton
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks everyone for the helps. I bought the lift, with the Dakars and also bought some TC UCA. Defiantly put a huge dent in my bank account :mad: ... But hoping to do some great 4wheeling soon!

16. Feb 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    TheGoat

TheGoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 SR5 4x4 6spd
    OME 885 springs on 90000 shocks, sway bar removed 1.5" AAL on 285/75/16s

spring switch with no compressor on tacoma
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc

I did mine this way. was easy, removing some of the bolts were harder than the springs.

17. Feb 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    SC4x4

SC4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Felton
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road
    Sorry last question, for Thoughs who have the dakar leaf pack, does your truck sit level or close enough to level? I kinda wanna keep my truck level or at close

18. Feb 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM
    BudMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Alameda, CA, (Bay Area)
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    stuff
    It should be pretty level with your top plate spacer. Maybe 1/2" of rake. I got just over an inch without spacers.

Products Discussed in

To Top