1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What materials to use to Mod Dash Parts? + VERY Cool iPad Install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by keninsb, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Feb 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    keninsb

keninsb [OP] "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    OK, I apologize in advance for the stupid questions, but I have done some research and still need a few pointers. I also realize this might not be the best forum to post this question, but am hoping that there are some audiophiles that can answer some dash mod questions. I am wanting to fabricate a new switch panel and have the parts to do it, but I don't know what materials to use. In the attached video (which is VERY cool BTW) the installer used Bondo to fill holes/cracks and build up parts. This seems like a great idea. Then he primes and paints the surround. What type of primer and/or paint should be used for fabricating dash parts and is the Bondo a good choice as a filler/builder?
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I have been putting this project off for a LONG time and am Jonesing to get started!
    Thanks again,
    Ken

Click on pic for video:)
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I used SEM paint on my dash and its held up perfectly. If you can find a place near you that sells it, go in and talk to somebody there rather than buying it online. They'll direct you to the correct prep materials (i.e. bondo, primer, etc.).

I only painted my dash, no modifying or building of new parts. Here's what I used. The paint matches the black parts of my dash perfectly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Feb 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    keninsb

keninsb [OP] "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Dash looks GREAT Riverdog! Thanks for the feedback and info, MUCH appreciated!
    Ken

Products Discussed in

To Top