1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.4 supercharger help

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JoshBovaird, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Feb 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    JoshBovaird

JoshBovaird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sidney NY
    Trd Supercharger, Trd 7th injector, K&N drop in filter.
    So i picked up my first Toyota, an 04 Tacoma with a TRD supercharger. I started reading up on it and realized that the 7th injector is a very good idea. So being stressed out about how many miles the motor and charger may have with out the injector. I did a little more research on the truck and found out it had the TRD 7th injector installed already. So that made me feel a lot better, now my plan is before doing to much to it, is a B&M oil cooler and upgrading the VB to help the tranny last. I did the 6" deck plate mod already I couldn't help it haha. I wanna get the truck tuned this summer and my big ? I know you can't tune the TRD module but can i get a different module and tune the trd 7th with that? I wanna get a 2.2 pulley when i tune. Anything else you guys think i should do besides the regular maintenance that I'm waiting on some warmer weather to go through the truck and change all the fluids. What is everyone running for gauges? I have an UltraGauge now and thinking maybe a wideband, tranny temp, and maybe oil pressure or temp.

2. Feb 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    A shift kit in the tranny would be a huge improvement.

3. Feb 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    JoshBovaird

Member:
    Sidney NY
    Yea I've been looking into IPT for the valve body mod. Gonna send it out in a couple weeks when school os over for me. I can find a ride to work everyday then. Hoping it will be a quick turn around they are only a couple hours from me.

4. Feb 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Runner89

Runner89 Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner
    You can do it your self for $100 with a kit from transgo. All they do separate the valve body and drill a couple holes in the separater plate. Obviously they give you new springs, but so does transgo. If you are mechanically inclined to remove the valve body, then you can do the transgo install. $520 is a lot considering you are doing all the manual labor yourself anyways.

Here is video on what they do:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxI7a532n5Q

5. Feb 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM
    JoshBovaird

Member:
    Sidney NY
    Haha that video makes me not want to mess with it, I'm sur ei can do it but i don't know.

6. Feb 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    There are a few piggybacks that can high-jack that TRD 7th injector, but URD makes a kit specifically for that job, so at least there is good instructions within that kit. Me personally, I'd get a FIC6 or FIC8 to run it, but thats me and I like to tinker. For a well documented route, go with the URD kit.

Get a wideband, boost gauge and tranny temp. I bought my 01 TRD S/C used as well. IMO seller sold because it developed a lot of ping (no fuel mods at all). I got an AEM FIC to take control of the closed loop fueling issue, came with a TRD boost gauge already, put in an AEM wideband and use OBDII blue tooth and the Toque paid app to see tranny temp.

If I didn't have a boost gauge already, I'd get the two-in-one AEM failsafe gauge (Shows boost, air fuel and has programmable outputs). Its temping to put in a permanent tranny gauge in as well, did some hill driving without weight and my phone showed some really high temps (over 240-260). What gets me mad about it is that I already have a huge hayden cooler in there- so either its not doing it's job correctly (I need to run ducting, maybe change the orientation from pre-OE cooler to post OE cooler etc) or my poor old 200K tranny is generating a lot of heat as its falling out of spec.

Transgo IMO is a full blown VB upgrade without the full blown price. The Lexus SC guys with the same tranny/kit have been raving about it. Its one of my future mods when the time comes to rebuild the tranny. In theory it is supposed to help keep temps down (as shifts are faster). I'm not really sold on how effective that is in the big picture- I want to get my tranny cooling system dialed in first.

7. Feb 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    JoshBovaird

Member:
    Sidney NY
    Yea I plan on getting a wideband and boost gauge before i really start messing with things. And the tranny is something i wanna get done soon along with a better cooler and temp gauge. For a piggy back i want something that isn't to much wiring as I'm color blind and don't like messing with a lot of wires haha

8. Jul 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    ICON/TC TRD Supercharger URD 2.2 and 7th
    What more you lookin for?

9. Jul 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    gotcha. wish i could help ya with that! goodluck.

10. Jul 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    SDSam

SDSam from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma prerunner
    Icon Shocks, BTF front, Deaver f67, 33's on stocks, Fiberwerxs 1pc, TDR S/C, Bed & Eng Caged
    Id Say, first Change the oil on your charger. and trans flush.
    URD 7th Inj Kit ( have some one install for you)
    Trans Cooler and VB upgrade.
    Wideband gauge. for tunning
    Boost gauge.
    Trans temp gauge if your towing or racing.

11. Jul 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    kigmob

kigmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    97 TRD S/C 4x4 V6 5spd
    Change out the oil. Make sure it spins freely. Make sure the nose is nice and tight. First thing I would do is get a wide band installed. Get to know how your truck runs in stock form. Then install the S/C and check out your AFRs. Then decide which fuel mods you need.

Products Discussed in

To Top