1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration in Seats, Floor and Accelerator explanation and fix!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rob the Russian, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Feb 18, 2014 at 8:16 AM
    Rob the Russian

Rob the Russian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Fort Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    So if you have been driving your truck down the road and you feel this really heavy vibration coming up from the floor this is the Thread for you. Now i have been all over the forum hunting for a definite answer but never quite found one. So let me go ahead and tell you...

Its your Carrier Bearing and U-Joints.

What has happen is that over time the rubber from your Carrier Bearing has worn down giving the drive shaft more room to bounce around. Now because your drive shaft is bouncing around more than it should your U-Joints are taking one heck of a beating. The only way to fix the vibration is to buy 3 U-Joints for your Tacoma and then buy a carrier bearing. unfortunately unlike my Tacoma some others have a carrier bearing that cannot be replace. in this case you will have to pay a pretty penny and go buy a whole new drive shaft from Toyota. and it wont be cheap.

2. Feb 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM
    Lupidave

Lupidave Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    14 sport 4x4 DC LB
    Non yet
    Every time I shut my 14 tacoma off it has a weird winging sound. Does anyone know what it is?

3. Feb 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Lol.... Center carrier bearings are all replaceable press on units.

As far as the weird whirling sound it's the air injection pump... Nothing to worry about.

4. Feb 19, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    Rob the Russian

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Fort Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Sorry brother but on the 4x4 PreRunners the carrier bearings are not replaceable. Me and My Buddy (former head mechanic at Rick Hendrick Toyota) told me this is a huge problem with the Tacoma's and after we replaced the 3 U-Joints and Carrier Bearing everything was fixed. :D

5. Feb 19, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Sorry brother but there is no such thing as a 4x4 Prerunner Tacoma

6. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

obviously you and your buddy who was sadly called a "head mechanic" are 100% wrong....

right out of the toyota factory service manual....

proofshaft1.jpg

proofshaft2.jpg

Would you like the pdfs on the step by step guide on how to remove the carrier bearing as well?

:rolleyes:

7. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

I am going to get a prerunner and make it a 4x4 just for that

8. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

It would be cheaper to buy Prerunner badges and swap your mud flaps

9. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Damn, how did you know what I was going to do?

10. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I know everything at all times on all planes of existence

11. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    :bowdown:

12. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    true dat son

13. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    :ohsnap:

14. Feb 21, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    Rob the Russian

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Fort Bragg NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Well damn. you sure got me. but when i did replace my Carrier Bearing and U-Joints then put some lube on no more vibration and its been this way for a few months. i do give you props for cross checking my facts to make sure that there was no incorrect statements made.

Products Discussed in

To Top