1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just looking for some opinions, looking at tacoma Saturday

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by takomafan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Feb 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    takomafan

takomafan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Illinois
    Hey guys, been awhile since Ive been on here. So I am currently driving a 2007 camry. Recently my wife and I moved to a rural area, and with this winter, I have realized 4wd is a must out here lol.

So I have been looking for a 3rd or 4th gen 4runner or a 1st gen tacoma. I still favor the Tacoma over the 4runners, but the 4runners usually run cheaper. :)

I did however find this one. Its a super clean 04 Tacoma. I love that it has the color matched bumpers and grille. Its exactly what I am looking for, v6, auto, 4wd, red, etc. It is priced a bit high, but these damn Tacomas are like gold on the market lol.

I do plan on putting a new timing belt and waterpump on it, as I dont see that in the records. Other than that, it looks like its good for another 100k miles! lol

Anyways shoot me you opinions on it.
    http://www.napletonhonda.com/used/Toyota/2004-Toyota-Tacoma-525e7cca0a0a00de76fe2801eae1f44b.htm

2. Feb 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    takomafan

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Illinois
    Nothing guys? haha

Im heading down tomorrow, Ill update with what happens. Im gonna go through this truck with a fine comb tomorrow lol.

3. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM
    L J

L J Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport DCLB
    Nice looking truck. These trucks have incredible resale value. I mean $13K for a vehicle with 130000 miles seems a little high but it does look clean. Hopefully the frame is good. Not a fan of the cheap tires but those will get replaced sooner or later. Should have good maintenance records and clean carfax for that kinda money. Good luck.

4. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    takomafan

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Illinois
    Thanks for the reply. It does have a good maintenance history on Carfax.

Yea, at first look it seems a little high, but around the midwest, especially in the winter, the prices of these trucks do rise a bit. I will play some hardball with the guys tomorrow, but I do hope to drive this truck away. It does look very clean!

Im definitely gonna inspect the frame. I have read that the 04's already had a coating from the factory to prevent the rusty frames??

I also understand that toyota no longer will replace these frames, correct?

5. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    Where did you read that?

On the subject of the truck...looks like a Tacoma. Pretty average nothing stands out. That price is ridiculously high though. That's the type of money that people pay for the Double Cabs. Which are a big deal apparently.

I would keep shopping.

6. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    ffdawson

ffdawson Dirt Head

Member:
    Penngrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail 6spd
    Kings, Armor, big taaaarrrs
    I think prices are subject to location, because that's about right on for what those first gens are going for here in Northern CA. I just did a quick craigslist search and anything first gen with under 150k is going for 13 or more. Access cab OR double. And none of them look as clean as that.

Of course a dealer is going to tack on some extra $, but if you can haggle at all I think you're in good shape. From the pics it looks super clean, just do you due diligence on the frame, maintenance history, and how it feels when you drive it.

I like it.

Lift it... black rims... A matching camper shell... :drool:

7. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    takomafan

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Illinois
    The price isnt actually real high for the midwest, it is a little, which is why I am gonna talk with them obviously on that lol.

ive seen 1st gen tacomas around here sell for 10k with over 200k miles lol, sad but true, then again, its a testament that these trucks hold their value well!

I get super jealous when i read threads of guys getting their 1st gen tacomas with under 100k for like 11k, I wish I could find those around here lol.

8. Feb 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    robulur

robulur Member

Member:
    IM looking at 2014 tacomas but reading this makes me not so scared of my other option its a 2004 double cab 4x4 sr5 trd with 222000 miles on it he wont budge off $7000.00 ive known the truck since new The dealer ship offering all kinds of stuff on the 2014 sr5 tho got me hooked if its legit 100,000 bumper to bumper and lifetime powetrain no charge and i got a discount 3000 plus through my employer the 04 looking better and after reading about all the eletronic traction stuff i may just look more at the 04 and get my 5th 1rst gen taco Damn the 2nd gens are sexy though

9. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:01 PM
    takomafan

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Illinois
    I do like the 2nd gens as well, and I hear they are a more comfortable ride. After looking at so many trucks, id rather have a high mileage 1st gen than a higher mileage 2nd gen, at least in my price range, under 15k.

10. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    robulur

robulur Member

Member:
    I know they will be trouble down the road. the auto for sure but its also a hell of a good truck for 7000 not 30,000 and the late 2nd gen electronics have me worried and confused . i can fix an elocker but not sure about the tracs systems well see im hoping the 2014 would be my last truck im 48 years old i think it would make it but i need my 4x4 to work and work well all the time or atleast be able to fix it

11. Mar 1, 2014 at 3:43 PM
    takomafan

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Illinois
    Well guys, I passed on that truck. The frame looked great, it drove great, ran great and all! After driving it for about 30min, I just realized the 1st gen tacomas might not be what I want anymore.

Maybe I am just getting old, at 27 haha, but it bounces around to much, at least this one did. I live in a rural area now and driving this might just bounce me to death everyday.

Im gonna continue to look for a 4th gen 4runner I think, as I have drove one of those and they ride nice and smooth lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top