1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercover tonneau pop up tent build

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Toyota Tacoma, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mar 2, 2014 at 12:44 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Lately I've been searching around for a cheaper RTT or a bed tent. So far I haven't found one in my budget or one I like that is.
    So I started thinking of building a hard top tent out of my undercover tonneau cover. After some simple plans I think its very do-able for about 100 bucks.

Here's how I plan going about doing it.

- Fab up 2 extendable support bars at the front of the truck that will replace the factory mounts. (will be bolted onto front wall of box) 10 bucks in metal.

- Mount another 2 gas struts symmetrical to the front 2. * $30 online

- I'll Use 3m velcro strips on the underside of the tonneau as well as on the bed rails/tailgate. I'm gonna sew the Velcro onto the fabric cause I don't think it will stick very well. *waterproof canvas is 60'' wide x $7 a yard online.= $57 with lots to spare.

Cover will still be 100% as functional as before and I'll just bring the canvas in a bag when I go camping.

Iv drawn up a quick illustration on how it will work. P.s. the thing on the top of the cover is my roof rack.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Mar 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM
    Tmill

Tmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Black DCLB
    Great idea but I would also add the cost of zippers and mesh for windows/ entry. Just a thought.

3. Mar 2, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Yea good idea, I'll have to see how my sewing skills are. haha

4. Mar 2, 2014 at 3:12 AM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    You will need more support that the 4 struts planned. First, the struts have ball ends on them, so there will be extreme amounts of lateral movement. Second, there is internal reinforcement only where the current hardware mounts. Anywhere else on the cover is simply hollow plastic. An idea, yes .. but I don't see it being a success.

5. Mar 2, 2014 at 3:16 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    There are many examples of this type of thing in the RV world. I am most familiar with various designs for VW camper vans (Country Homes, ASI) and Sportsmobile. All of the models that raise vertically at both ends use some type of scissor mechanism. This stabilizes the roof and canopy in the wind. They also use coil springs to help lift the weight.

6. Mar 2, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    I see what you're saying but you're overlooking my design. None of the lateral stress will be on the struts. It will be purely in my extendable mounts. The only pressure on the struts will be vertical.

7. Mar 2, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    seadub1

seadub1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4 MGM
    Softtopper, salex console organizer, FJ 8hole wheels gunmetal gray, discoverer AT3 255/75r17
    i wanna see this when its done

8. Mar 2, 2014 at 11:56 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    I still see the factory style lift struts in the rear as being the weakness to your idea. I'm not saying it can't be done at all, just that there are better ways.

Check into using 4 linear actuators instead. This will give you a far more secure mount to the cover, and still keep it relatively functional. Though as I stated in the prior post attaching additional hardware to the Undercover will be difficult as it is not reinforced in any other areas.

[​IMG]

9. Mar 3, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    I have re-designed it to eliminate the front to struts lifting on an angle. They will now just lift vertically with the extendable mounting supports.

As for the rear I would do the same but then I wouldn't be able to use the cover the same way in day to day use.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  10. Mar 3, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    junkman

junkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Louisville
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4 5 speed Access Cab
    Looks good, git'r done!

11. Mar 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Just got 8 yards of waterproof, real tree camo canvas for 70 bucks shipped. Going to try and find the best deal on struts and Velcro when I get home.

12. Mar 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Just found 2 strong, compact, ratcheting lift type deals. Hard to explain but they will work PERFECT for the front extending support bars. I will need to cut two 3/4'' holes in the front of my box for them to extend 5'' below the bed. (Not going to hit anything I checked) so that the full range = 20'' above top of bed. Also got my gas struts and the ball mounts for them. Will be putting this together as soon as I get a day off, most likely Saturday.

13. Mar 4, 2014 at 2:46 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    I admire your DIY spirit, but I think you may regret making holes in the bed to accommodate vertical struts. You could easily angle them to achieve the desired lift height without damaging the composite bed.

14. Mar 4, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    The placement of the holes will be in the far corners so if I ever take it out or sell the truck they will just look like the stock drain holes. I'll also be putting a rubber grommet in them to hide any evidence of me drilling them.

As for lifting diagonal it's not as easy as you think. The lifting supports will be welded to the stock mounting points of the cover so in order to lift diagonal I would be adding pivot points and slides which is adding weak points.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  15. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Frame/lift mechanism is done weoo

Once the struts reach full length I use the ratchet bars to tighten everything up.

Only issue I'm having is its a bit tough to get down cause its got no rack/weight on the top yet.

Looking forward to getting the canvas on. Going to start framing the bed/storage tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(this is extended a bit, fits right down against bed rails when lowered)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BamZipPow, ricphoto and davidstacoma like this.
  16. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM
    LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms Knows a little about a lot

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner TRD dclb
    Dude, That's badass. Good job so far! Is it stable at the rear?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  17. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    :popcorn: Awesome idea man.

18. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Thanks guys, yea its stable once I ratchet tighten it up. I can lean pretty hard into it without any sign of failing.

19. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    I want to see how this goes

20. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I am not sure how windy it is in your area but velcro would never work here.

Products Discussed in

To Top