1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's The Differences Between '13 and '14 Entune w/JBL Radio's?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bear263, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mar 2, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    bear263

bear263 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    LED interior lights. Steering wheel mod. New radio. Amp, speakers and sub woofer.
    I have the '13 entune/nav/jbl...etc radio. Was wondering what is the difference between the '13 and '14 jbl radios. I see they redesigned the buttons. But am wondering if the screen or apps are better. Specifically the screen. I see it says 6.1" High Resolution Touch-screen with Split Screen Display. Not sure if the '13 is high resolution. I'm happy with mine but if the '14 is any better, I will think about switching.

Thanks

2. Mar 2, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Having owned both a 13 and 14 I can tell you I liked the 13 better for mostly the physical appearance. The 14 has more gadgets and incorporates HD radio. I don't really care much for the 14.

3. Mar 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    13 Has HD radio also. Though I don't ever use it. I know there are some differences but since I only have the 13 with the JBL / Nav I'm not sure what they are? Does the rear view camera route to the screen on the 14 since most don't come with the temp / compass in the mirror?

4. Mar 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    LED interior lights. Steering wheel mod. New radio. Amp, speakers and sub woofer.
    I guess the main thing I'm looking for is the screen. If it's a high resolution screen where as the '13 is not, it might (for me) be worth it. No where I can find says anything about the '13 screen like the '14 does.

5. Mar 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    I have a '14 and love the HD radio. It's free and if you have stations in your area, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't use it. (I'm not going to pay the subscription for the XM radio, however.) The rearview camera routes to the screen on the '14's and the mirror still has the compass (but no temp).

6. Mar 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Question about the Entune....... If your subscription runs out, what still works? Obviously the backup camera will, I'm assuming that the weather apps ect will quit? With most '14s not having temp in the mirror, I was wondering if you'll lose temp from entune if the subscription runs out. So do you end up with a plain old AM/FM/CD?

7. Mar 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    I think Toyota sent out a letter saying entune apps will now be free, not run out after 2 yrs.

8. Mar 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I have it but never use it. I do use XM though only because you never run out of the station. I also play the XM game where it never costs me more than $4 per month so it's worth it too me. Plus the thousands of songs on my usb drive and IHeart radio... I never run out of stuff to listen too.

9. Mar 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    When your subscription is over, you only lose the satellite radio (XM). The weather and nav aren't subscription.

RearViewMirror, you're right on losing the HD stations when you get out of range. Good catch. Gotta agree, It's great to always have your own stuff to listen too.

10. Mar 2, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    If the 14 is anything like the 13 then everything runs off your phone data plan (weather, traffic, etc.)

Like 1of7627 said the only thing you lose is XM.

11. Mar 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    I got in on the lifetime Sirius. I know the taco comes with xm, not sirius, but i use my portable radio. Never have to pay again. Plus pandora and my 32 gig usb drive. Always have music.

12. Mar 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Sirius and XM are the same correct?

13. Mar 2, 2014 at 1:23 PM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    Haven't received a letter but on the web page for the '14 entune radio, it stats:

How much does the Entune® App Suite cost? Originally launched in 2011 with a three year complimentary subscription trial, the Entune® App Suite is now completely subscription free.

*Select Entune® App Suite apps use a large amount of data and you are responsible for all data charges. Apps and services vary by phone and carrier; not all services available all the time and in all locations, and are subject to change.

However, on the '13 entune page, it still says will cost about $5 a month. After the 3 yr trial. So :confused: about the '13 subscription. Maybe they haven't updated it to reflect free.

14. Mar 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP

Oddly enough yes and no. Same company but if I recall from a conversation I had with customer service a few weeks back, there is different packages depending on which radio you have. It is my understanding that you can't get xm package with a sirius radio and vice a versa. If you go to the subscription page, it will ask you which radio you have.

Edit: My bad, it looks like same package. Don't know why it asks which radio you have.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  15. Mar 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Yeah, I thought when they merged it merged everything together. I had both Sirius and XM at one time but canceled before they merged. I re-subbed after the merge when they sent me a $25 for six months deal.

I forget what the actual price is but IIRC it's around $12 per month? It's not worth that to me but when I bought my truck back in Oct they gave me 3 free months of subscription and I still had about 2 months left on my old sub. When I called them to change the sub over to the new truck they offered a year for $28 starting at the end of Jan. So basically I payed right around $50 for almost a year and a half of Sirius/XM.

The trick for those that are interested in Sirius/XM is to call and cancel. The will bend over backwards trying to keep you as a customer since it is easier for them to keep a customer than it is for the company to get new ones. I always tell them that I want to cancel and I'll re-sub when they send me another mailer for the $25 for six months. They ALWAYS offer me that deal every six months. I've even got a few free months off of them before just to keep me signed up. You NEVER have to pay the full price. If for some reason they don't give you that deal cancel and listen to your Iheart Radio / Pandora App for a few weeks. I promise within a month you will get a mailer begging you to come back for 6 months for $25. I have never once payed full price for Sirius/XM.

16. Mar 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    They still call it sirius and xm packages but if you look at the channels you get, they are the same. Go figure.

17. Mar 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    It's possible the 14 has a hi-res screen over the 13 since the 14 has the back up cam in the head units screen now. Not sure a hi-res in a 13 would make any difference since you're just seeing the format of the software installed to see touch screen buttons and a radar map. Good question I guess..

My 13's screen is good and clear so whatever it is it seems to work fine.

18. Mar 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    That is weird?

19. Mar 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I agree. I have no issue with the screen on the 13. The Nav (and all the other screens) look fine to me.

20. Mar 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP

Yep.

For Sirius: Sirius select, All Access and Mostly Music.

For XM: XM select, All Access and Mostly Music.

But, I did find some differences. Sirius select has Howard Stern radio where XM select does not. You have to get the all access to get it.

There might be some other differences. So I guess I go back to my original statement. Same company, different packages.

Products Discussed in

To Top